What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

Spend some time looking at the on board art- it's amazing.

Dh and I enjoy doing this. You can download (free on iTunes) an audio tour of the art for any of the HAL ships. We load it onto our ipods, get some earphones and off we go. We love doing this on a sea day.

My wife and I are thinking about trying HAL, but haven't decided when just yet. We have cruised on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess so far. I think we are ready to try something a little more elegant, sedate, dignified, and laid back. It sounds like HAL is all that and more.

Thanks for this wonderful thread. Happy cruising everyone! It's a wonderful way to explore the world!!

Do it. I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised. HAL cruises are delightful.

I second many of the HAL goodies tossed out here. Raisin buns at breakfast, anything on the MDR menu for room service, the Crows Nest, a real library, the Adagio Strings duet, smiles everywhere.

We always do the unlimited laundry. It allows us to pack less and enjoy more.

You guys really have this happy thread dialed in!

For me:

less of a Vegas hotel, more of a ship

excellent viewing areas on the bow- no heli pads

fantastic beds

quiet elegance

minimal paging and ADS games- ie belly flop contests

Lido omelettes, eggs benedict

Fresh flowers

fantastic like minded pax

fantastic unbelievable crew- like family

and just for me:

after breakfast going to the seaview pool and taking the stairs up to stand and look around as we are docking, near the vents to hear the hum of the ship , the smell of fresh baking, the fresh air and the feeling of being so relaxed as a new adventure and experience awaits.

Dh and I enjoy doing this. You can download (free on iTunes) an audio tour of the art for any of the HAL ships. We load it onto our ipods, get some earphones and off we go. We love doing this on a sea day.

That is interesting to know. What is the app name? I couldn't find it.

That is interesting to know. What is the app name? I couldn't find it.

It's not really an app. Go to the iTunes store. Do a search for whichever ship you want i.e. Noordam by typing the ship name in the search window. It will show up as 'Art Tour ms Noordam' in the podcast category. Click the "Free" button, and it will download.

It's not really an app. Go to the iTunes store. Do a search for whichever ship you want i.e. Noordam by typing the ship name in the search window. It will show up as 'Art Tour ms Noordam' in the podcast category. Click the "Free" button, and it will download.

If you don't have an Apple device, you can download them from the HAL site here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Activities.action#

Click Art Tours on the left hand side to download. You can play the the file using the Google Play audio player that comes with your Android device.

Edited by POA1

Best things about the Noordam??

The Hydrotherapy Pool and Thermal Suite.

REAL hand towels in the bathrooms (after the first 48 hours)

Being greeted by name.

Formal nights :D

Flourless Chocolate Cake (OMG Good)

Omelette station in the Lido.

Room service

Towel Animals

My daughter loved the Disco right after dinner (when it was usually empty). She had her own DJ!

The Piano Bar

The elegance

The list goes on and on.

Why did someone have to mention the raison buns, there I was happily sitting at my desk at work having lunch, thought I would browse CC and what do I see, Raison Buns!!! Now I am craving to go on another HAL cruise just for those buns. DH and I would grab a couple after breakfast, along with a plate, some butter and a knife - cover the lot with a napkin and on sea days for morning tea we would sit on our balcony with a double shot latte from the Explorations Cafe and watch the world go by - Heaven :)

On another note, while everyone has mentioned the cheese, no one has mentioned the big rounds of cheese put out at lunch time in the Lido. Some days I would just pile my plate up with Blue Vein, Gouda, etc, some fresh fruit, a couple of the really good fresh baked rolls and a Sunshine Lemonade from the bar and sit on the back deck watching the wake.

But here I am at work :(

Thank you for that. I have now googled Long Island Iced Tea (which I have never seen over here - we don't even drink iced tea over here).

oh Stratheden not sure what part of aus you are in but you are missing out :) Long Island Iced Tea is one of my favs :D Not a good idea to drink several then try and stand too quickly.

Will def have to try a wang wang

oh Stratheden not sure what part of aus you are in but you are missing out :) Long Island Iced Tea is one of my favs :D Not a good idea to drink several then try and stand too quickly.

Will def have to try a wang wang

A Long Beach is the same as the LIIT except you substitute cranberry juice instead of coffee. Yuuuummmm

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

[quoteThe Happy Hour from 4 - 5 is nice -- buy one drink and your second one is a $1.

is this on all routes? We are on the Zaandam to Alaska this Friday.

I've never been on a Holland America cruise that didn't have Happy Hour. Check the daily program because the times vary. You may not have one the day of departure. We never did until the Noordam early this year. However, there are almost always happy hours on subsequent days.

Have a great trip!

Why did someone have to mention the raison buns, there I was happily sitting at my desk at work having lunch, thought I would browse CC and what do I see, Raison Buns!!! Now I am craving to go on another HAL cruise just for those buns. DH and I would grab a couple after breakfast, along with a plate, some butter and a knife - cover the lot with a napkin and on sea days for morning tea we would sit on our balcony with a double shot latte from the Explorations Cafe and watch the world go by - Heaven :)

On another note, while everyone has mentioned the cheese, no one has mentioned the big rounds of cheese put out at lunch time in the Lido. Some days I would just pile my plate up with Blue Vein, Gouda, etc, some fresh fruit, a couple of the really good fresh baked rolls and a Sunshine Lemonade from the bar and sit on the back deck watching the wake.

But here I am at work :(

You're welcome ! There is a recipe somewhere on CC for these buns, and my DSIL is trying to replicate the recipe ( she inherited the baking genes from DMIL ). DH can't wait to add these to his morning repast in August.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're welcome ! There is a recipe somewhere on CC for these buns, and my DSIL is trying to replicate the recipe ( she inherited the baking genes from DMIL ). DH can't wait to add these to his morning repast in August.

Marilyn, is this the thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26361047&highlight=raisin+buns+recipe#post26361047

Or there might be a link in that thread to another thread. There seems to be more than one recipe

Edited by Stratheden

Sammy goose, I love your list! My favorite thing about HAL is the "leave one, take one " shelf in the library. I hate to carry books home after I'm finished reading them, and I have found a few treasures that were worth carrying home. Our last cruise (6 weeks, not on HAL) did not have this, and I was very disappointed!

Barbara M. In NH

Sammy goose' date=' I love your list! My favorite thing about HAL is the "leave one, take one " shelf in the library. I hate to carry books home after I'm finished reading them, and I have found a few treasures that were worth carrying home. Our last cruise (6 weeks, not on HAL) did not have this, and I was very disappointed!

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

Oh I love that too, and use it on every cruise. Even if I don't find a book to take, I always leave books. I hate to carry them home too.

This is the BEST thread ever!!! I leave in 3 more sleeps on the Westerdam for Alaska. First HAL but far from my first cruise. I always submerse myself in the CC boards before a trip to set the mood as it were.

First order of business -

A wang wang in the crows nest!

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing

This is the BEST thread ever!!! I leave in 3 more sleeps on the Westerdam for Alaska. First HAL but far from my first cruise. I always submerse myself in the CC boards before a trip to set the mood as it were.

First order of business -

A wang wang in the crows nest!

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing

Be sure to go at Happy Hour and then you can have a second for $1. That'll really set the mood for the cruise. :)

A Long Beach is the same as the LIIT except you substitute cranberry juice instead of coffee. Yuuuummmm

Coffee? What? LOL I meant coke. Freudian slip!

Coffee? What? LOL I meant coke. Freudian slip!

I was going to ask about that... It sounded like a bizarro espresso martini from he11.