Wouldn't it be neat if HAL ...

WayneFougere

I'm not a regular flyer so can't challenge your assertion. I'm pretty sure that when I booked my flight to get to the cruise, I saw all the seat options I could choose from (and learned that the seats I preferred were already assigned). Regardless, I agree I only need the category I'm interested in; but in my case at least, that includes all three levels in the category. I'd just like the effort to be easier and all my options to be obvious.

I wasn't arguing about viewing the available rooms. I think it would be great. I was just saying that even on something as simple as an airplane, they don't show you all the available seats. It's only when you pick a class that you see the appropriate seat selector.

The decision tree model for reservations - or almost everything else e-commerce wise - works off branch pathing.

Wouldn't it be neat if HAL ... had a website that clearly showed all available cabins without the need for picking one cabin type at a time?

Probably the only reason you can't get the available cabins is because Travel Agents/Wholesalers/Consolidators have blocked space which they normally don't release until their time option is up.. That could be 120 days or 90 days before departure..

Now is you are willing to book at the last minute & know the class of service you wish to book, you may be able to get the avail cabins in the class you are booking..

Betty

P.S. We don't have an I-phone or tablet so having the daily program on paper is best for us.. When we board our plain ordinary cell phone goes into the safe & will not be used unless we are on U.S. Soil..

I am a computer systems engineer, but even so I much prefer a printed daily program over squinting at some handheld device. I am just not seeing the need to deal with all the compatibility issues and endless tech support for a ship-wide wireless intranet.

I think a stateroom TV-based solution for things like account balances is much more practical.

igraf

..Igraf, have no fear, there won't be an iOS or Android version anytime soon. When bIg corporations do port things to mobile, they usually hit all the device types; but since HAL seems so devoted to Windows (even offering lessons on board), I trust that if they ever have a mobile app, it will either be web-based (for all) or made specifically for mobile windows!

On the food front:

I would love HAL to offer the big bowl of real whipped cream near the dessert station in the Lido.

This was discontinued several years ago and is sadly missed.

And how about some milkshakes? HAL won't give these away, so the Explorations Cafe is the perfect locale.

IF our account was available on TV for review we would not need to get a print out from time to time or even get a final hard copy statement. Just let me check in on the TV, and email me a copy of the final. Just like our hotel or resort accounts.

HAL is so behind the curve, in so many areas, one has to wonder if they will ever catch up or if they have purposely chosen to remain in the past from a technology perspective. Just one more disconnect between reality and their marketing/target customer.

Repeated experiments over the past decade have proven again and again that when cruise passengers have quick and easy access in the cabin, to their account balances for the cruise, onboard spending takes a significant nose-dive.

Ships that do not offer this service enjoy significantly higher profits than ships that do offer this service.

Maybe those Dutchmen in Seattle are smarter than you think......................

The decision tree model for reservations - or almost everything else e-commerce wise - works off branch pathing.

Ah. As long as it's easy, I guess the concept is fine but I'd rather know what's available upfront. I've heard from others that HAL never shows exactly how many cabins are available. I don't know if it's true and I find it strange to believe. Those who profess it seem convinced it's a marketing and competition strategy. If it is true, it's a shame. If I have all the facts, my decision is usually easier.

Maybe those Dutchmen in Seattle are smarter than you think......................

+1

Personally, I'm not looking to watch my spending (which I can do without HAL's help) though it might be interesting to know if it had any effect on my wife's enthusiasm! I'd like programs and calendars to appear effortlessly on my iPhone so I can stay current and get alarms when needed (which I do anyway by finding the activities on paper and loading the important events in my calendar). I'm not a big fan of paper and I don't like carrying it around with me. That said, I trust We'll be using it for a long time because HAL is unlikely to go digital (and then there's that money making thing).

I've heard from others that HAL never shows exactly how many cabins are available. I don't know if it's true and I find it strange to believe.
Yes, it's true and you can easily prove it to yourself. Do a "test booking" for a cruise that's way into the future so that few cabins have been sold yet. Choose a cabin category, and the site will never show you more than six available. Usually they are all in the forward part of the ship.

Then go to the box toward the bottom where you can "Enter a Requested Stateroom Number" to check for availability. Keep repeating, and typically you will find many more than the first six shown.

Edited by jtl513

Yes, it's true ...

Ok. I guess there's a reason that involves increased profits (which is fine). Personally I find it unfortunate. While it will make efforts harder than they should be, I'll try it for the next cruise.

I'm not a pro at cruising. Are forward cabins less desirable that those further astern?

I'm not a pro at cruising. Are forward cabins less desirable that those further astern?

Yes, for those susceptible to seasickness. The further you go forward or aft of the center of gravity the more severe the pitching will be, and the effect will be worse far forward than far aft.

Since the ship's internet is expensive and slow. Are you risking missing events. Many people do not know to use the internet. 2-3 thousand people signing on the internet at the same time.. yeah sure
This would not be using internet' date=' it would be in[b']tra[/b]net ... strictly local to the ship. Internet is expensive and slow because you're using a satellite connection.

Not to me. I love the low-down and forward ocean-view cabins. I love to hear the docking, thrusting, and anchor noises, and am luckily not affected by seasickness. I'm just as happy other people do not like those cabins, because it means more often than not, my preferred cabins are readily available and easy to book.

I've had mid-ship and stern cabins and I really prefer the forward ones. And I know it's crazy (especially around these parts), but I actually prefer ocean-view cabins to those with balconies.

Yes, for those susceptible to seasickness. The further you go forward or aft of the center of gravity the more severe the pitching will be, and the effect will be worse far forward than far aft.

Interesting. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting. Thank you.

You didn't ask, but the rolling (side-to-side) component of motion gets worse the higher you go above the center of gravity, so for mal de mer sufferers, the worst place is high and forward. :) Edited by jtl513

I do however wish that we could look at our on account and book dining excursions etc on the TV which is common on several other lines. Those that prefer paper can still get it but like it or not paper is going away more and more. The younger generations do so many things in their lives on tablets and smartphones or interactive TV at home that HAL needs to look at these options in order to continue to attract these potential customers.

TV system would work. I'm all for less and less paper. It's astonishing the amount that HAL uses that is wasted. Less paper means more trees and more trees means less CO2 in the atmosphere. I am not of the "younger" generation, but I have a smartphone, a laptop, and a tablet, and use them frequently. I usually bring my laptop with me, although I don't use their crappy internet service. If HAL wants an on board internet and can do it right, that suits me just fine. Everyone else that wants it on paper can stop by the front office and pick it up.

Ginger capsules work really well if your feeling nauseous. Any health store should carry them.

Bonine would be my choice of anti motion sickness medication.

A family remedy (assumably for most) is ginger ale for an upset stomach. I thought it was the bubbles, maybe it was the ginger.

Speaking of sea sickness. Being unsure if it will affect us, I'd like to carry medicine. The pharmacist said use Gravol. I've also seen wrist bands. Is there anything better?
Gravol is a Canadian brand name for dimenhydrinate. Wikipedia says "While dimenhydrinate is still used to prevent nausea and emesis, the development of the chemical meclizine has overtaken its usage (marketed as "Dramamine II") because meclizine is less likely to cause drowsiness." Meclizine also is known by the brand name Bonine, and it is what is given free at the ship Front Desk or infirmary under the brand name SeaCalm. Walgreens sells it as WalDram 2.

You should not wait until you start feeling sick to take meclizine or the other. If the Captain says that he is expecting rough seas ahead, take one then. Some people who know they are susceptible to nausea start taking them the day before embarkation.

You may also hear people say that green apples help them, but a Pharmacology professor once told me that there's so little helpful chemical in them that any effect is mostly psychological, like a placebo.

Edited by jtl513

I like to take the time, especially on sea days, to be out of touch. I usually lock my iWhatever in my safe and just take it out if I want it on shore. I would like to see the daily programs on the room tv. Something else I'd like is to see the programs posted or shown in different places around the ship. That way, if I want to see what's happening, I won't have to carry paper or return to my cabin to check the schedule.

For motion sickness, DH likes bonine and benedryl usually works for me, as well as helping with my allergies. I probably just misspelled both of those. Correction: I just noticed someone posted the Bonine suggestion... what he or she said, take it before you need it.

Trish

Edited by PatsyAnne

I like to take the time, especially on sea days, to be out of touch. I usually lock my iWhatever in my safe and just take it out if I want it on shore. I would like to see the daily programs on the room tv. Something else I'd like is to see the programs posted or shown in different places around the ship. That way, if I want to see what's happening, I won't have to carry paper or return to my cabin to check the schedule.

For motion sickness, DH likes bonine and benedryl usually works for me, as well as helping with my allergies. I probably just misspelled both of those. Correction: I just noticed someone posted the Bonine suggestion... what he or she said, take it before you need it.

Trish

For that part, at least, it is already done (sort of). Ask any bartender and they will let you look at the current schedule.

Trish

I do not know if the same goes for every ship, but on our last cruise on Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago, the "On Location" was also posted outside of the main dining room, next to the menus of the day.

I'll take old school style and elegance on a cruise over the latest fast fads anytime. The whole point of cruising is to take it slow and relax. Sure beats multitasking in an airport with a smartphone and a laptop!

When cruising, we leave our computers at home and we never buy internet time. There will be plenty of time after the cruise to share our vacation photos. I reject the notion that the vacation has to be shared "right now" on Facebook.

igraf

...HAL is so behind the curve, in so many areas, one has to wonder if they will ever catch up or if they have purposely chosen to remain in the past from a technology perspective. Just one more disconnect between reality and their marketing/target customer.