Carnival's MDR and Buffet Desserts: Your Favorites and Least Favorites

thecruiserofships

What is your favorite and least favorite dessert

to eat in the MDR or the buffet?

Hi :)

Favorite - Bitter & Blanc

Least favorite - Warm chocolate melting cake

I'm sorry, but the warm chocolate melting cake tastes and even looks

like something cheap & nasty that a 5 year old cooked in a 'Easy Bake Oven'.

:)

Reading threads like this in the past, I realized I'd never tried the desserts on the buffet, so my last 2 cruises I made a point of trying them. Boy! They looked spectacular, very fancy, some very artistically decorated. Most were like paper with no flavor at all. How'd they do that?

Key lime pie on the buffet was delicious! Wanted to try the mango but I didn't see it again after I'd passed up on it. Most of the chocolate cakes are very good.

Love the creme brulee! Last trip I asked the first night if it'd be served and was told no, but they offered to make some. Each person at our table got it!

I must have gotten the not-done-right WCMC---it was gross! Like drinking syrup. Didn't like Bitter and Blanc either.

And what was that pumpkin colored piece of pie that looked and acted like over done jello? The fork would just bounce off of it!

Favorites: bitter and blanc, tiramisu, chocolate melting cake, specialty coffee shop chocolate cake and a chocolate almond cake at the chocolate buffet.

Least favorites are the cheesecakes at the buffet and the sugar free cakes/pies.

Hi :)

Favorite - Bitter & Blanc

Least favorite - Warm chocolate melting cake

I'm sorry, but the warm chocolate melting cake tastes and even looks

like something cheap & nasty that a 5 year old cooked in a 'Easy Bake Oven'.

:)

I've never heard it described thusly but I also do not care for raw cake.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find almost any cruiser with carnival history that doesn't love the warm chocolate melting cake

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

I do know of one and only one person. And it's not me!!!

There are probably some people who don't like it, but I think the majority of people do.

Our favorite was the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake in the MDR. We also enjoyed the Creme Brulee.

Our least favorite was what they claimed was Cheesecake in the coffee shop. As a baker, and a cheesecake fanatic, that stuff was anything but cheesecake, and was absolutely DISGUSTING.

The Lido was hit or miss for decent desserts, I usually just got fruit because of it. The "Chocolate Buffet" was a SERIOUS disappointment. Most of it was completely flavorless. :(

Our favorite was the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake in the MDR. We also enjoyed the Creme Brulee.

Our least favorite was what they claimed was Cheesecake in the coffee shop. As a baker, and a cheesecake fanatic, that stuff was anything but cheesecake, and was absolutely DISGUSTING.

The Lido was hit or miss for decent desserts, I usually just got fruit because of it. The "Chocolate Buffet" was a SERIOUS disappointment. Most of it was completely flavorless. :(

For me cheesecake is a hit or a miss.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find almost any cruiser with carnival history that doesn't love the warm chocolate melting cake

Not true! I have been on 11 Carnival cruises and I despise the WCMC. I have tried it a couple of times because everyone raves about it so much and I just think it is gross! I always thought I was the only one until I read this thread.

So I hate the WCMC! My fav is Creme brûlée but the top is never crunchy enough for me. Also in the buffet I tend to get a plate of like 3-4 desserts at a time and generally like 1 of them maybe 2.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I usually only go to lido buffet for lunch, and rarely have room for dessert, but the only one I save room for at the lunch buffet is key lime pie. It is not the best key lime pie I have had, but it is not the worse either, and I actually like it very much.

Dining room dinner service, I like the "diet", not sure how diet they are, since they taste so good:D, lemon, orange and coconut cakes. Also the creme brulee,

and love to order the cheese plate with a glass of port wine.

I like lots about the new menu that Carnival is testing, but am not happy with the lack of options for dessert. But if it means I have to forgo dessert in the future, then I do know that I will survive and maybe gain a pound or two less than usual:)

Ditto...I love the "diet" cakes over anything else...even over the chocolate melting cake. I think its because they are "lighter"...not as heavy/filling as the other desserts.

And I can't even tell you when was the last time I had dessert from the buffet.

I generally skip dessert (I like to save my calories for alcohol) but I make an exception on tiramisu night in the dining room. Mmm...tiramisu. Not the best ever, but it'll do.

In the lido the only things I can't resist are the cream puffs and occasionally the chocolate chip cookies. They go really well with a cup of delicious hot chocolate.

I generally skip dessert (I like to save my calories for alcohol) but I make an exception on tiramisu night in the dining room. Mmm...tiramisu. Not the best ever, but it'll do.

In the lido the only things I can't resist are the cream puffs and occasionally the chocolate chip cookies. They go really well with a cup of delicious hot chocolate.

What are the cream puffs like?

My favorites are:

Buffet Desserts: apple crumb cake served at the embarkation lunch and the key lime pie.

MDR Dinner: WCMC with butter pecan ice cream; coconut layer cake and the warm bread pudding cake with the white chocolate sauce.

Steakhouse - cheese cake.:cool:

Favorite in the MDR is tiramisu...favorite from the buffet are the chocolate chip cookies.

Least favorite from MDR is the bitter and blanc (I know, I know...a lot of you love it!!) Least favorite from the buffet is everything BUT the chocolate chip cookies!

I forgot about the cookies in the buffet. What flavors of cookies do they have?

Favorite in the MDR is tiramisu...favorite from the buffet are the chocolate chip cookies.

Least favorite from MDR is the bitter and blanc (I know, I know...a lot of you love it!!) Least favorite from the buffet is everything BUT the chocolate chip cookies!

X2 for the tiramisu! :)

I agree with the others that most of the buffet desserts are tasteless. They look pretty but that's where it ends.

Agreed.

Favorites that haven't been mentioned- the Cappuccino Pie in the MDR is pretty tasty.

I was, however, disappointed with the deserts in the steakhouse. For the upcharge, I was expecting something WOW! and it didn't happen. Again, pretty to look at but not out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, tiramisu in the Italian restaurant on the Magic is incredible!