Help quickly please.

Hi,

I am trying to plan a last minute spring break cruise for April. Sailing will be myself, our oldest son (soon to be 16) and our middle son who is 12.

We are considering the NCL Getaway but have never sailed Norwegian before. I have been told they nickel and dime you. We are trying to decide between the NCL Getaway and RCI FOS and RCI Oasis and maybe the RCI a Indepence? Possibly CCL Conquest or CCL. Breeze.

We have sailed on the FOS before. But I can't recall what beverages

What can we expect on NCL in regards to beverages. Meaning lemonade, punch etc. Are any beverages free? We normally don't drink soft drinks but I wasn't sure if NCL or RCI provides juices, lemonade, punch etc. free as Carnival does?

The same questions about self serve soft ice cream and frozen serve yogurt.

Is there a charge for room service?

Having never sailed NCL I am worried because I have heard they nickel and dime you. But the boys like the "look" of NCL Getaway. This is meant to be a laid back cruise just myself and our 2 eldest son while our toddler stays with Nana and my husband has to work.

Please be honest. I do not favor one cruise line over another and need to book our cruise ASAP.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

TA

Hi,

I am trying to plan a last minute spring break cruise for April. Sailing will be myself, our oldest son (soon to be 16) and our middle son who is 12.

We are considering the NCL Getaway but have never sailed Norwegian before. I have been told they nickel and dime you. We are trying to decide between the NCL Getaway and RCI FOS and RCI Oasis and maybe the RCI a Indepence? Possibly CCL Conquest or CCL. Breeze.

What can we expect on NCL in regards to beverages. Meaning lemonade, punch etc. Are any beverages free? We normally don't drink soft drinks but I wasn't sure if NCL or RCI provides juices, lemonade, punch etc. free as Carnival does?

Having never sailed NCL I am worried because I have heard they nickel and dime you. But the boys like the "look" of NCL Getaway. This is meant to be a laid back cruise just myself and our 2 eldest son while our toddler stays with Nana and my husband has to work.

Please be honest. I do not favor one cruise line over another and need to book our cruise ASAP.

TA

They have plenty of choices of beverages without buying the soft drinks. Lemonade, punch and icetea. Yes there is yogurt machine and icecreme on Oasis of the Seas. I would highly recommend Oasis of the Seas especially having the kids that you do. I tried NCL and it was the worse cruise in all my cruises. Have tried Carnival as well but Oasis was the best cruise I have ever been on due to the entertainment and the high energy of fun. My children are grown now but they would have loved this - so much to do and see that we hardly had time for the ports. I haven't been on Freedom of the Seas but that would be my 2nd choice.

There is no charge for room service until midnight thru 5 am I believe. Plenty of places to eat as well and plenty of activities and pools.

Hi,

I haven't been on the Oasis class yet but if price isn't a issue I would pick that one. I've been on the Libery class with my kids and they LOVED it. Can't comment on the others.

RCI provides free Lemonade, Tea, Water, Punch and Milk. Hot chocolate and hot tea packets were available in the cafe promenade and Sorrento's when we cruise. (not positive if they still have those)

There is a soft serve ice cream machine on the pool deck.

There is a charge of $3.95 between midnight and 5am. Other times are free.

I've never been on NCL but I KNOW your kids will have a blast on either the Freedom/Independence or Oasis.

TA

Answers in Red

We only were on one NCL cruise and we were seriously underwhelmed. Nothing special at all. I can't imagine the circumstance that would get us to try it again.

To us vacation time is too precious and costly, both in time, money and being away from our family, to take any chances. We know what to expect with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and that is where we will likely stay from now on.

We have done 30+ cruises on Royal and a couple on NCL.

We did the inaugural crossing on the Getaway and loved it! The food and included beverages are very similar but the Getaway had better entertainment.

The Getaway is very similar to the Freedom class of ships.

In my opinion, the buffet on NCL was better and we really enjoyed the 'Tropicana' main dining room which had some good entertainment whilst dining.

We will do NCL again in a heart beat. A month ago we did the Carnival Splendor - we probably won't do them again as the buffet was poor and the entertainment very disappointing.

We never noticed any 'nickel and diming' on NCL - there are more pay restaurants on NCL but it is your choice to use them. The Irish pub for snacks on the Getaway was excellent.

You also get a chocolate on the pillow at night!

Pete

Edited by SadmanCruiser