Do you cruise more to enjoy the ship or more for the ports?

cmoose

We sailed on the Jade on two Med cruises, and the Star on the Baltics. How can you not be overwhelmed visiting places such as Istanbul, Jerusalem, and St. Petersburg? Yes, it isn't the same as flying to a city and spending a week there but how many people have the opportunity to sample such amazing cultures if even for a day or two? Our first Jade voyage stopped in Rome for a day, and it was pretty incredible how much we saw in 8 hours during the off season. Our second voyage went in and out of Rome so we had a change to see other places including Florence.

Closer to home, the ship is also great especially if doing the same voyage (i.e. Alaska) again.

I'm with you. Cruising has taken us to the places you list and we look forward to going to more new places on the Jade in April....Monaco, Tunisia, Sicily, Sardinia....We've gone on two bus trips and I've found them exhausting. I enjoy sea days but without the ports, we'd choose going to a resort for a week or two and enjoy the beach and a larger pool, etc. Interesting to see how many cruise for the ship. My ideal cruise would be alternating port and sea days to rest in between.

We choose our cruises based on when we can get away. It used to mean Spring Break cruises but now that our DS is a Freshman in college...it probably means we'll be cruising in the summer.

I would say we pick our itineraries based on ports of call. We love going to places we've never been to before.

Next would be price. That's a big one!

I too love to pour over our ship's deck plans and I circle and highlight where our cabin is and all the places on the ship that we are interested in going to. I like to find out where the laundry rooms are and how far from our cabin they are (for ships that have them...not that I do laundry "ever" on cruises but I've had to iron the DS's and DH's formal shirts a couple of times because :eek: they didn't listen to me and pack them right!) LOL!

When it comes to excursions and ports of call...I religiously research every single one of them so I know what excursions are offered off the ship and to decide what exactly we might want to do in any particular port. I never leave that up to chance. Especially when the DS was younger.

We've never had a bad cruise and we've been on many of them...so I guess I'm doing the right thing for us.:D

Edited by mousey

I would say both! We want to see the WORLD but also love to be on the ocean! If more than one ship goes where we want to go then we look at the company and the ship. When we did the Panama Canal we choose Princess because we could do laundry(less the pack) and could bring wine on board.

After 60+ cruises, the ports don't mean as much. For instance, we've been to St. Thomas fourteen times. But if we were going to a completely new area, where I don't know, we'd definitely get off the ship.

One exception might be if we go to a port where we have really, really enjoyed a tour, we would probably repeat it.

Where we cruise from is important to us, too. We absolutely love cruising out of New Orleans. We stay there a couple of days before the cruise and 3-4 nights after.

Edited by gooch47

I pick my cruise based on the ports because I want to see new and different places or possibly return to a memorable place.

But, when it comes right down to it, I'm ALL about the ship. I could do a 15 day cruise-to-nowhere if I had to. I love sea days...no schedule, no agenda, just wandering around doing my own thing. I don't have to cook a meal or mix my own drink, I never have to clean up anything, and I don't have to make my bed. What more can a person ask for?

I had no idea I would be SO obsessed with knowing everything about the ship and our cabin, I really just can't get enough.

I'm thrilled we are going to Bermuda, but haven't really even thought about what we will do there as I am so loving researching the ship.

We aren't going until June and I'm sure as the trip gets closer I will get a game plan together. I am a planner and it's just my 14 year old dd and I so I want to be sure we have fun things to do.

I really was just wondering if others were as OCD about knowing everything about the ship as I am??

It depends on the cruise. If it is a new ship to us, I research everything I can about the ship. If it is one we have sailed before I look for any updates since the last time we sailed it. If it is a new port to us, I research everything I can about the port. At new ports I usually book an excursion either through the ship or independantly depending on what I find. If it is a port we've been to before we may book an excursion if there is one we would like to do or we may just stay on the ship...expecially if it is a new ship to us.

For me I think it depends on the destination. When I went to Alaska it was all about the ports. With the up coming cruise I think it's more about the ship. My DW enjoys the ship but I think for her it's all about the beach in Bermuda.