Do you cruise more to enjoy the ship or more for the ports?

cmoose

For me the ship is the destination, I don't give a dam about the ports. My favorite is the

Days at sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I prefer sea days to port days, so I can relax and enjoy what the ship has to offer. The only exception is Bermuda. I love to spend time there.

On the other hand, my husband will choose a cruise for it's ports, so it's a compromise.

For us it depends on the cruise, some are port intense while others spend more time at sea. I do believe that after we have been to all the ports we will become much more ship-oriented in our choices, especially with all the new ships on the horizon.

I love sea days within reason, hubby likes ports, but it is becoming harder and harder to find ships that are not using the same ports we have used over and over. We look at price, the ship and try to find, at least one new port or one we haven't been to for years. For us it seems to be the overall experience, and the price.

We prefer a good mix of both ship and (new) ports, probably 60% ports and 40% sea days. Our most recent, Panama Canal on NCL Star, earlier this month had a perfect mix for us.

We have done a few Med (east&west), Black Sea, virtually all of the Caribbean, Canaries, Canada & New England, Baltic, Norway, Iberia, Mexican Riviera & Panama Canal so new ports are increasingly difficult to find!!Thinking now of venturing into Far East or Hawaii for our next cruise. Californian coastal and Bermuda are also on our bucket list of shorter cruises.

I had no idea I would be SO obsessed with knowing everything about the ship and our cabin, I really just can't get enough.

I'm thrilled we are going to Bermuda, but haven't really even thought about what we will do there as I am so loving researching the ship.

We aren't going until June and I'm sure as the trip gets closer I will get a game plan together. I am a planner and it's just my 14 year old dd and I so I want to be sure we have fun things to do.

I really was just wondering if others were as OCD about knowing everything about the ship as I am??

I love knowing everything about the ship, but we cruise for the ports.

Well glad to see I'm not the only one who is all about the ship. I SO want to try one of the newer ships with all the bells and whistles but am glad to be starting out on the Dawn. We live in New Hampshire so won't have to fly in and starting out on a smaller ship will give us a chance to work our way up. I think this will be a great "first timer" cruise.

I had no idea I would be SO obsessed with knowing everything about the ship and our cabin, I really just can't get enough.

I'm thrilled we are going to Bermuda, but haven't really even thought about what we will do there as I am so loving researching the ship.

We aren't going until June and I'm sure as the trip gets closer I will get a game plan together. I am a planner and it's just my 14 year old dd and I so I want to be sure we have fun things to do.

I really was just wondering if others were as OCD about knowing everything about the ship as I am??

This will be our second time on the Gem - and I am obsessed with finding out everything on the ship that I missed the first time around :)

I also enjoy that we are doing an itinerary where all 4 ports are completely new for me!

What other kind of vacation gives you the freedom to unpack once, visit 4 different places, spend days at sea, go swimming, play games, see shows and have wonderful meals?

I'm all about the total experience!!!!

A nice thread topic, OP!

Interesting to see the variety of responses to your query.

You are not alone in your obsessiveness with all aspects ship or cruise. :D

For us, it really is a combination of the ship, sea, ports, etc....

Edited by silvercrikhix

Loving this thread.

I thought I was the only one who is soooo obsessed by the ships and destinations that we LOVE!!!!

Whew :D

Thank you all!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Length of cruise: I only do 7 days or more

Itinerary: I like places I have never been before, but I do have some favorites I can visit over and over

Once I pick those things, I start to research the ship and get to know it and what it has to offer, cabins, etc. before booking

I love just being on a ship, but I do have a destination bucket list.

I enjoy a sea day if it is around the isalnds and its warm out.Leaving only out of NY in Winter the first sead day you investigate the ship and get your sealegs but for me it is pulling into port and off to see something new. To see land after two sea days we cannot wait to get to dry land. The 2 sea days to get home for us is the worst but it beats driving to FLA. Flying is not an option. You can only tour the ship and eat & drink so much

Depends:

If it is a new ship and some place we have already been (Caribbean), then definitely the ship.

If it is Europe, Asia, or anywhere "exotic" definitely the ports, you could put me on a fishing trawler and I would be happy:)

We will be on the Breakaway to Bermuda in May (new ship and new port) and we are excited about both! At least NY will be "old hat";)

Depends:

If it is a new ship and some place we have already been (Caribbean), then definitely the ship.

If it is Europe, Asia, or anywhere "exotic" definitely the ports, you could put me on a fishing trawler and I would be happy:)

We will be on the Breakaway to Bermuda in May (new ship and new port) and we are excited about both! At least NY will be "old hat";)

Couldn't of said it better!!! We cruise for the ship, unless it's Alaska, Hawaii, or someplace exotic, in which case it's definitely for the ports!

We look at what is available when we want to cruise. The price, the ship and the ports are all deciding factors to where we cruise. I love my sea days, but also love my port stops. I do alot of planning, but also, can roll with it if we have to make last minute changes to our itinerary.

As one of the others posted, I love the ocean. I love seeing blue meets blue (ocean and sky). Sunsets at sea are absolutely gorgeous! I don't know which is most important to me. I don't think it matters a whole lot because I love all aspects of cruising!

We pick based on the ship and what the kids will like to do on the ship. Sailing the Getaway later this year and it is the same itinerary as the last Epic cruise we took so we will get off at a couple stops but stay on the ship in Nassau since our Atlantis Excursion last time was not great at all. It will be a good day to explore and have some extra slide time for the kids.

I have to say honestly that after traveling to the Caribbean for almost 30 years all the islands seem so much alike. So ports are not a big enticement for us. Certainly I would feel differently if it was not a Caribbean port.

So for us it's the port we can drive to and prefer smaller ships. The more sea days the better.

DD is trying to entice me to fly to a port in 2015. Probably will as she will be flying half way around the world to see me...............seems only fair:)

Definitely more for the ports! We have always been on Carnival, but will hopefully book NCL for 2015 because of the port selection. We like as many 'never-before visited' ports as possible with as less sea days as possible. We are looking at a 14-day cruise with only 4 sea days and visiting 10 places - 2 of which will be repeats for us.

What ship is this and what port does it leave from? That sounds like my dream cruise.