Alaska Norwegian Cruise? SOLO?

Bailzellia

Okay So I'm new to this whole cruise thing. And I've always loved Alaska. So there is a cruise that goes from Vancouver and around Alaska then back to Vancouver. And of course it's based on double occupancy. This is what It is called "7-Night Vancouver Round trip Glacier Bay Alaska Cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line " So, They have the regular rooms like , Interior-599-627$, Ocean view - 729-749, Balcony,1199$-1299$, And suite from 1599-1639$. I'm planning to go On either September 15th, or the 22nd. And I plan to go SOLO. As of course everyone i know is too busy or doesn't make enough. So I figure i'd need to save about 2,300$ Including the 300$ for the round trip plane ticket from where i live to Vancouver. because I don't need a suite room. I was thinking more of a ocean view, or balcony. And I'm just wondering how much more it would cost about, if I go by myself.. If anyone of course, has ever gone by themselves. And if it's a safe cruise? And if most of the time people are friendly. thank you for reading, hopefully some of you can help me.

The quoted room prices are for double occupancy. So if an inside cabin costs $500 you would have to pay double that, $1000. Add port charges and taxes at about $200. Also add the discretionary service charge at $84 for the week. Your total would be about $1300 not including anything extra you get nickel and dimed for on while actually on the ship.

Rarely you might get a discount on the solo rate, but it doesn't happen often on Alaska cruises.

You should also factor in excursions. (Thankfully they don't charge double occupancy for those). The ship will offer those (if you select the individual destinations on the NCL web-site you can pick the excursion offered by NCL). The NCL price includes their markup, you can usually get a better deal booking directly with the operator.

Cruising is safe. So I would not worry about that.

If you are Canadian it is probably cheaper to fly to Vancouver. If your based in the US you can sometimes save of air flying into Seattle and taking the bus or train up to Vancouver.

Hunt around and you mighty find a discount on the cruise. The pricing can be variable as the cruise line tries to fill up the ship.

As someone who often travels solo - I would have no qualms about travelling on a cruise ship to Alaska on my own. Most folks are extremely friendly and the ports in Alaska are safe - I have never felt uncomfortable in any of the Alaskan ports.

I would encourage you to join the roll call on the date you have decided here on these boards. You might discover a few others travelling in a similar way.

Good luck and have fun!

I have gone to Alaska twice on The Norwegian Pearl out of Seattle traveling solo. I am looking at going again this July. I always get an Inside cabin. Lots of place on board ship for fantastic views. The cost some times is slightly less if you go in late May or in September if that is possible for you.

You do not say where you live, but I would suggest to you to add one night in Vancouver before your cruise and purchase a transfer from the hotel to the ship. Depending on flight schedules, you might have to do that also when you return.

It is pretty much the norm to charge the "double" price for a cabin. If you had someone you would like to go with you, you could cover part of their price, since you are paying for a double cabin.

Keep in mind excursions, Daily Service charge, drinks, etc.

Lots of people travel solo. You will be fine.

Visi the ALASKA boards under PORTS OF CALL here.

You do not need to use large letters or bold when posting.

First of all, if you're only going to do an Alaska cruise once, you should make sure your itinerary includes Glacier Bay. This can easily be the highlight of any Alaska cruise.

Secondly, I would strongly suggest you go a little earlier in the summer if you can manage. September is the late end of the Alaska cruising season, and the weather will more likely be colder and more rainy than in July or August. On the other hand, you are more likely to get lower prices towards the end of the season...although not by much, since Alaska cruises are so popular.

You can reduce your costs, as suggested above, by booking an inside cabin, particularly as you're sailing solo. This means no window or balcony, so just remember you'll need to be up on the decks for all your scenery, and pack accordingly.

I would suggest that you could book your own shore excursions, which will be cheaper than booking through the ship, but as you're a "newbie" cruiser, I think you'd be better off booking through the ship until you get the hang of things.

Depending on where you're traveling from, it might be wise to consider flying in the day before your cruise departs. Yes, this adds to the cost (hotel and meals) but that way you don't risk missing your cruise due to travel problems.

Cruising is a very safe way to travel, and you'll find the people on board are very friendly.