Grandeur of the Seas Grand Suite Noise?

tispwisp

We are considering a grand suite on a future Bermuda cruise for our 20th anniversary (it will be our first time in a suite!). The price is not that much more than a junior suite. However, I am concerned about these suites being under the Windjammer. For those that have stayed in Grand Suites on this class of ship, did you get much noise from above? Are there some suites that are less noisy than others?

Thanks so much for your help!

While not in the same class as the Grandeur we have stayed in a GS on the Voyager of the Seas and didn't notice noise. The most noise we had a problem with, but not enough to complain, was on the Serenade when we were in a Jr. Suite on the Serenade.

We were right under the Serenity Bar and a couple of times when they were crushing ice for mixed foo foo drinks it sounded like we were inside a industrial size rock crushing machine. The cabin was 1042.

Hoenstly, yes. we were in 8012. every morning, early( like 7 am ish) there would be scraping of chairs, tables and the carts used to ferry dirty dishes hither and yon. our next door neighbor had it as well, and actually made it clear to the HD that he was NOT pleased about it.

It didn't bother us that much, Mr Spook is up by 6 am anyway( that is sleeping late for him) and it was not an annoying sound( at least not to us) and did not last that long.

Honestly unless you are extremely light sleepers or require perfect solitude and silence, don't let it put you off. they are AWESOME cabins and well worth the price for the amenities you get. Breakfast in Chops alone was worth it to us.

Thanks! I'm kind of eyeing 8514. My husband sleeps very very very soundly, so it won't matter to him. I am a lighter sleeper and usually try to get cabins that are sandwiched in floors between other cabins, but I must admit the allure of the Grand Suite is calling… :) I think I can put up with a little noise for the bigger bathroom!

One other question: I know the GS has a wicker table and two chairs. Will they bring a lounger if you request it?

Thanks! I'm kind of eyeing 8514. My husband sleeps very very very soundly, so it won't matter to him. I am a lighter sleeper and usually try to get cabins that are sandwiched in floors between other cabins, but I must admit the allure of the Grand Suite is calling… :) I think I can put up with a little noise for the bigger bathroom!

One other question: I know the GS has a wicker table and two chairs. Will they bring a lounger if you request it?

Depends on the stateroom attendant and their management. Most of the time they will bring one, but we've had a couple of occasions when they flat out say it's not permitted.

We stayed in 8514 on our cruise to Bermuda. Loved this room , but you did hear some deck noise - the room is not technically under WJ, but it is under the portion of the deck dedicated for smokers, so you will hear chairs scraping here and there in the day and evening. It seemed the worse the first night or two, and then you did not notice it that much.

The bathroom is amazing! Huge.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for the information on 8514. Now I'm wondering if I should book 8508, but I think there will probably be issues with noise from above in any of these suites. Oh, well. Yes, I think I will definitely enjoy the bigger bathroom! :)

We had OS 8000 on the Grandeur and it's the noisiest cabin we've been in. Woken every morning very early by carts rumbling around in the Windjammer above and constant slamming of the door next to us which led to the Bridge. I would be wary of booking any cabins under the WJ again.

We had 8012 in January and loved it. It was under the coffee and ice cream area outside of the Windjamer. We did hear chairs scraping but that was around 7am and we were already awake. It was great being able to run up one flight of stairs to get my coffee early in the morning. We asked in concierge lounge about lounge chairs and they delivered 2 the next morning.

We usually have a balcony cabin but treated ourselves and now are spoiled. LOVED IT!!!!

We were in Grand Suite 8008 on Grandeur, "The Hong Kong Suite".:) It was a lovely room.

There was a fairly loud noise that I started referring to as "rolling thunder":rolleyes::p above us occassionally. I assume this was the cart traffic of which others have spoken. It never woke us (and I am a light sleeper), and didn't seem to occur more than once or twice a day. Each time we heard it, it only lasted a few seconds. No big deal.:)

Our door was loud in a strange way, though. It rattled upon opening and closing as if it had loose sheet metal inside the door itself. Again, this was no big deal, just odd.

The door to the crew area across the hall from us was very frequently in use, but the crew were almost always very quiet while doing so. The noisiest times for that area were understandably the first day and the last night, when luggage was being moved. Again, no big deal.

I did request a lounger for the balcony from our excellent room steward, Cristian, when we first saw him on embarkation day. It was there on the balcony later that afternoon.:)

I would recommend this suite and will stay in it again with no hesitation.:)

Thanks for the information on 8514. Now I'm wondering if I should book 8508, but I think there will probably be issues with noise from above in any of these suites. Oh, well. Yes, I think I will definitely enjoy the bigger bathroom! :)

I guess others already reached out to you...lol. When we booked our second cruise, my wife wanted 8514 again, but it was already booked. I booked us in 8506 thinking it might be quieter than under pool deck, and another CC member who was in an OS told me that it was even noisier under WJ, so I moved us out to 8014. I would definitely stay in 8514 again. As Spookwife mentioned, the location is awesome. One flight up to pool deck/WJ/free ice cream, two flights up to AO (we were traveling with our son), sort walk down corridor to Centrum.

Oh yes, you will feel a bit more motion up front too. We hit a patch of rough water our first day out, and you could feel it. Not sure if it was that much better on the rest of the ship - lots of people stayed in.

PS: one last thing, Grandeur GS rooms sell like hot cakes, so don't wait too long :)

I guess others already reached out to you...lol. When we booked our second cruise, my wife wanted 8514 again, but it was already booked. I booked us in 8506 thinking it might be quieter than under pool deck, and another CC member who was in an OS told me that it was even noisier under WJ, so I moved us out to 8014. I would definitely stay in 8514 again. As Spookwife mentioned, the location is awesome. One flight up to pool deck/WJ/free ice cream, two flights up to AO (we were traveling with our son), sort walk down corridor to Centrum.

Oh yes, you will feel a bit more motion up front too. We hit a patch of rough water our first day out, and you could feel it. Not sure if it was that much better on the rest of the ship - lots of people stayed in.

PS: one last thing, Grandeur GS rooms sell like hot cakes, so don't wait too long :)

Thanks! I love the motion of the ocean - it's something I sorely miss on the big ships - so I will love that! :)

I'm not even sure if I want to ask this since even the mention of this causes long drawn out debates, but can you smell any cigarette smoke from the smoke section above in 8514? A simple yes or no would suffice. I'm not here to start a debate on this issue.

I'm definitely leaning towards 8514 and plan to book it tomorrow!

Thanks again. This is really helpful. I always try to get the best cabin we can get for our budget. And this is a special occasion! (Hey, I found somebody that could put up with me for 20 years, he deserves to be pampered!;))

Thanks! I love the motion of the ocean - it's something I sorely miss on the big ships - so I will love that! :)

I'm not even sure if I want to ask this since even the mention of this causes long drawn out debates, but can you smell any cigarette smoke from the smoke section above in 8514? A simple yes or no would suffice. I'm not here to start a debate on this issue.

I'm definitely leaning towards 8514 and plan to book it tomorrow!

Thanks again. This is really helpful. I always try to get the best cabin we can get for our budget. And this is a special occasion! (Hey, I found somebody that could put up with me for 20 years, he deserves to be pampered!;))

No smoke smell from the balcony, but walking through that section of the pool deck reeks of smoke. You will definitely want to walk through the other set of doors :). The pool deck kind of extends over the balcony, so you have a roof that extends out maybe 3-4 feet or so. This kind of limits your "sun", but if it's raining you can still enjoy the balcony (unless it's really pouring).

We celebrated our 10 year anniversary on our last cruise, so fully understand! Enjoy your cruise.