Amtrak Vancouver to Seattle Information

jo24

Hi Everyone

I have done a search online to link to CC and couldn't find too many relevant answers, so I am hoping people don't mind the question. Sorry this rambles on a bit!

I am doing some early research for our Alaska cruise next year. Long story short we want to spend 2 days in Seattle before flying to Anchorage and transferring to Seward. The cruise finishes in Vancouver. We can fly direct from the UK to Seattle and back from Vancouver but the cost to do this can be significantly more ££ than a return to Vancouver or Seattle... Hope this makes sense so far!

As we want 'easy' travelling at the end of the cruise and because we finish in Vancouver, we are looking at the option of flying to Vancouver, spending a night there and then travelling up to Seattle the following day. I have been doing some research and it seems very easy and reasonably priced to do Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle... and yes, it is cheaper to fly to Vancouver, overnight in a very decent hotel and then Amtrak than to fly into Seattle and out of Vancouver and the saving could be fairly considerable!

My questions really are; is the train as easy as it sounds? Is it an OK process for people not used to the system? We know that if we want to check baggage we need to be there at least 45 minutes before the train departure (not a problem) and are looking at Business Class so have read about priority disembarkation - is this correct? My mum does have mobility issues but it seems like the process is quite straight forward and shouldn't cause us too many issues.

Any information that you can give me, based on recent experiences, would be very gratefully received.

Jo :)

Air fares never cease to amaze me but yes, I have been pricing flights from YVR to LHR found them less expensive then SEA to LHR at least for this upcoming August which is not what I would have expected. As for Amtrak, it is as simple and seamless as it is advertised. Now I have done the trip to and from Seattle but frankly I have never continued on to the Seattle airport but I am certain someone will be along with that information.

We did the train in the opposite direction--Seattle to Vancouver--a few years ago before our Alaska cruise. It is a very scenic trip and everyone in our family (there were 9 of us) really enjoyed it. We stayed in Seattle the night before so I'm not sure of the airport transportation issue. You could probably hire a van to transport you from train to airport. We used a van service from our hotel to the train station but I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the company. Google should give you some leads. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the information everyone.

We will be spending 2 days in Seattle after the train journey so we will just get a taxi from the train to the hotel and I will definitely look at pre-booking from the hotel to the airport - thank you for the link mapleleaves.

Yes, airfares are honestly doing my head in! However, the pricing isn't out yet but to avoid shocks, I am doing some 'Plan B' type planning! We like the idea of seeing more scenery too. Currently by flying into YVR, overnight hotel, getting Amtrak and the other little bits, we can still save about £200 per person!

Thanks again

Thank you for the information everyone.

We will be spending 2 days in Seattle after the train journey so we will just get a taxi from the train to the hotel and I will definitely look at pre-booking from the hotel to the airport - thank you for the link mapleleaves.

Yes, airfares are honestly doing my head in! However, the pricing isn't out yet but to avoid shocks, I am doing some 'Plan B' type planning! We like the idea of seeing more scenery too. Currently by flying into YVR, overnight hotel, getting Amtrak and the other little bits, we can still save about £200 per person!

Thanks again

I assume this is flying on BA. I don't know why the SEA prices are so much higher than YVR, but they are. This usually isn't the case, but most likely because SEA is a big business destination for BA while YVR is more a leisure market.

One thought I'll just throw out is that one can hire a car at YVR and drive one way to Seattle. If interested, there are a couple of alternative scenic routes to the main I-5 freeway. Counting taxis at both ends (and taking into account the very early morning departures) the price for two persons in the car can be similar to the business class train ride.

Nothing against the train trip, of course. It's quite scenic in parts, and by preclearing US border controls in Vancouver (southbound) you don't have any delays at the border, which are always a potential problem in a car.

Yes business class will get priority boarding - in Vancouver you get to clear Customs first - if possible you want your seats on the right hand side going down to Seattle as that is where the better ocean views are.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis!

I assume this is flying on BA. I don't know why the SEA prices are so much higher than YVR, but they are. This usually isn't the case, but most likely because SEA is a big business destination for BA while YVR is more a leisure market.

One thought I'll just throw out is that one can hire a car at YVR and drive one way to Seattle. If interested, there are a couple of alternative scenic routes to the main I-5 freeway. Counting taxis at both ends (and taking into account the very early morning departures) the price for two persons in the car can be similar to the business class train ride.

Nothing against the train trip, of course. It's quite scenic in parts, and by preclearing US border controls in Vancouver (southbound) you don't have any delays at the border, which are always a potential problem in a car.

Actually, not only BA, any airline. It is because it is flying into 1 airport and out of another that bumps the price slightly, guess they consider it almost like 2 one way flights.

We have considered car hire but it would be me driving and whilst I am willing to try it in Alaska from Anchorage and down the Seward highway, I do not feel confident enough to do big city to big city! Also yes, the delays at the border are a consideration and is one of the reasons we aren't considering coach travel.

I appreciate the information though and it is all 'food for thought'. I am just really hoping that if we book early enough the prices will be similar and then we can just fly to Seattle and home from Vancouver!

Yes business class will get priority boarding - in Vancouver you get to clear Customs first - if possible you want your seats on the right hand side going down to Seattle as that is where the better ocean views are.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis!

Oh that is brilliant information, thank you Dennis :) I have heard that seats are assigned once checked in at the station in Vancouver - is this correct?

Also, now as a further question (please forgive how this may sound) how does the baggage checking work? Is this usually a safe and reliable service? In the UK we just take our suitcases with us, not nearly as organised as Amtrak, so we really don't know what to expect. I am not a nervous traveller but I just like to know what to expect!!

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

We are going to Alaska in September & fly from Manchester to Seattle via Icelandair.

Our cruise starts in Seattle & finishes in Vancouver & we have booked business class on Amtrak back to Seattle to get our flight back to Manchester.

We found the Manchester to Seattle route much cheaper than Manchester to Vancouver, we lay over briefly in Iceland both legs, 2 hrs & 1.5 hrs respectively but saved over £400 doing it this way.

I'll let you know how we get on when we have completed t he journey! :)

FG :)

Hi Jo

We are going to Alaska in September & fly from Manchester to Seattle via Icelandair.

Our cruise starts in Seattle & finishes in Vancouver & we have booked business class on Amtrak back to Seattle to get our flight back to Manchester.

We found the Manchester to Seattle route much cheaper than Manchester to Vancouver, we lay over briefly in Iceland both legs, 2 hrs & 1.5 hrs respectively but saved over £400 doing it this way.

I'll let you know how we get on when we have completed t he journey! :)

FG :)

Thank you for the information, I really do appreciate it. I would be keen to know how the Amtrak side of things goes :)

Jo

Also, now as a further question (please forgive how this may sound) how does the baggage checking work? Is this usually a safe and reliable service? In the UK we just take our suitcases with us, not nearly as organised as Amtrak, so we really don't know what to expect. I am not a nervous traveller but I just like to know what to expect!!

Thanks

Jo

Jo: We took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver last September and were in business class. We delivered our luggage to the luggage check-in area where it was bagged for Vancouver. The cars don't have racks for luggage similar to that on some European trains. Folks take their carry-on luggage with them as there is space on racks above the seats. As far as I know Amtrak luggage service is safe and reliable, but just as when you check luggage with an airline don't pack prescription meds or money in the suitcases.

Once we delivered the luggage we were in a line for seat assignment. You will receive an assignment for a specific rail car and specific seat in that car. So with a group there will not be a scramble to try to locate seats in close proximity. The actual boarding in Seattle took some time. I didn't check the time but it seemed like it took 25 to 30 minutes. So no one had to scramble on board quickly before the train departed (but at the several stops between Seattle and Vancouver the train paused briefly). Since your mom has mobility issues she won't feel rushed to jump on board.

Once we reached Vancouver no could depart the train until the baggage was unloaded. We disembarked from last car to first, and since the business cars are in the rear of the train our particular car was the second to disembark. Quickly found our luggage (which was very organized) and then were in line for Canadian customs.

It was a relaxing experience with none of the hub-bub of air travel which is now so common these days.

I ride this train frequently, and, yes it is as easy as it sounds. However, note that the procedures are significantly different traveling from Vancouver to Seattle than the other way around.

You should be at Vancouver station about 1 hour before departure because you clear US Immigration ("pre-clearance") in Vancouver. The check-in desk opens about 1 hour before departure. Once you are checked in, you proceed to US Immigration. After you are checked in and cleared through US Immigration, then you can check your bags, which is done right on the platform, next to the baggage car.

There is a separate "Business Class" queue for check-in (and subsequent immigration processing) which is considerably shorter than the queue for the coach passengers. The coach queue can wrap around the waiting room on busy days. That ability to "cut the line" using the Business Class check-in is a real benefit of Business Class.

Once checked-in and cleared, you board the train. You cannot leave the secure platform and go back into the station, though.

There will be a US Customs check at the border in Blaine, WA. They'll walk through the train, pick up your customs declaration, and check your passport again.

Since you have gone through all the border formalities, arrival in Seattle is like arrival at any other station, you detrain when the announcement is made. You don't have to wait until your car is clled or anything, like arrival in Vancouver.

There should be taxis.

When you get out at Seattle there will a long taxi line and quite a few people waiting. If you call Eastside for Hire (phone number on their website, as mentioned by Mapleleaves, they will send a taxi just for you. You will avoid the long line of people, but you will get a lot of snarles and glares from those in line :eek:.

Air line prices are hard to predict. One of the differences is Vancouver has Virgin Atlantic, Air Canada and BA plus some charter flights to Gatwick. Seattle has Delta and BA.

Jo: We took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver last September and were in business class. We delivered our luggage to the luggage check-in area where it was bagged for Vancouver. The cars don't have racks for luggage similar to that on some European trains. Folks take their carry-on luggage with them as there is space on racks above the seats. As far as I know Amtrak luggage service is safe and reliable, but just as when you check luggage with an airline don't pack prescription meds or money in the suitcases.

Once we delivered the luggage we were in a line for seat assignment. You will receive an assignment for a specific rail car and specific seat in that car. So with a group there will not be a scramble to try to locate seats in close proximity. The actual boarding in Seattle took some time. I didn't check the time but it seemed like it took 25 to 30 minutes. So no one had to scramble on board quickly before the train departed (but at the several stops between Seattle and Vancouver the train paused briefly). Since your mom has mobility issues she won't feel rushed to jump on board.

Once we reached Vancouver no could depart the train until the baggage was unloaded. We disembarked from last car to first, and since the business cars are in the rear of the train our particular car was the second to disembark. Quickly found our luggage (which was very organized) and then were in line for Canadian customs.

It was a relaxing experience with none of the hub-bub of air travel which is now so common these days.

Thank you so so much - this explains the process so well and makes it all seem fairly straight forward. It also puts my mind at rest about hoards scrabbling for the train like here in the UK and mums mobility - seems easy and stress free.

Did you enjoy the extra space in business class? It's not much to upgrade but do you feel it was worth it?

Thanks again :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I ride this train frequently, and, yes it is as easy as it sounds. However, note that the procedures are significantly different traveling from Vancouver to Seattle than the other way around.

You should be at Vancouver station about 1 hour before departure because you clear US Immigration ("pre-clearance") in Vancouver. The check-in desk opens about 1 hour before departure. Once you are checked in, you proceed to US Immigration. After you are checked in and cleared through US Immigration, then you can check your bags, which is done right on the platform, next to the baggage car.

There is a separate "Business Class" queue for check-in (and subsequent immigration processing) which is considerably shorter than the queue for the coach passengers. The coach queue can wrap around the waiting room on busy days. That ability to "cut the line" using the Business Class check-in is a real benefit of Business Class.

Once checked-in and cleared, you board the train. You cannot leave the secure platform and go back into the station, though.

There will be a US Customs check at the border in Blaine, WA. They'll walk through the train, pick up your customs declaration, and check your passport again.

Since you have gone through all the border formalities, arrival in Seattle is like arrival at any other station, you detrain when the announcement is made. You don't have to wait until your car is clled or anything, like arrival in Vancouver.

There should be taxis.

Thank you for the additional information based on the direction we are travelling in! All makes sense and makes the disembarkation process simple in Seattle.

Air line prices are hard to predict. One of the differences is Vancouver has Virgin Atlantic, Air Canada and BA plus some charter flights to Gatwick. Seattle has Delta and BA.

Yes and we like the fact we can fly Virgin to Vancouver as it is our preferred airline. Having never flown Air Canada, I was looking at them but no idea what to expect. I have my first flight with BA from Miami to London this November but will be booking flights long before that.

When you get out at Seattle there will a long taxi line and quite a few people waiting. If you call Eastside for Hire (phone number on their website, as mentioned by Mapleleaves, they will send a taxi just for you. You will avoid the long line of people, but you will get a lot of snarles and glares from those in line :eek:.

Thank you, I will definitely consider that. Glares and snarls what bother me too much ;) I just know I am more organised! If we are fairly off the train though due to business class, hopefully this wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Did you enjoy the extra space in business class? It's not much to upgrade but do you feel it was worth it?

Yes, the comfort and the extra space is worth it...at least it is in my opinion.

Thank you, I will definitely consider that. Glares and snarls what bother me too much ;) I just know I am more organised! If we are fairly off the train though due to business class, hopefully this wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Just an FYI, the entire train, both Business Class and coach, detrain at the same time. Business Class does not get off first in Seattle.

Only one thing to correct from the above - you can carry your suitcases on-board with you if they're not too large. There are luggage racks exactly like on British trains (at one end of the carriage, floor level with a shelf above it about waist height) because they use Euro-style rolling stock on the Cascades service. Previous poster may have traveled when a replacement train using the normal Amtrak Viewliner stock was being used because of maintenance.

The official size limits for carry-on bags are found here on the Amtrak website - but for your convenience, 2 cases per person up to 28" by 22" by 14" are allowed. That's bigger than any suitcase I have ever owned, and is in addition to 'personal items' like small handbags (up to 12" by 12" by 12"), medically-needed items, electronics etc. There's an overhead shelf the full length of every carriage for the smaller items and decent legroom/underseat storage even in coach class too.

If you haven't already looked at Iceland Air, do compare their pricing (for some reason they don't show up on all the online travel agencies, and even if they do the price quoted doesn't always include their best rates so it's worth going direct to their website - I believe you're supposed to use www.icelandair.co.uk for British departures). Since you're close to London which has several non-stop flights over to this part of the world they may not offer a bonus in convenience, but we found their pricing barely more than half the cost of the closest competitor for spring flights to Scotland. It would of course mean you doing your train to SEA at the end of your cruise rather than the beginning since Iceland air only fly out of SEA...

Edited by martincath

I also have an Alaskan cruise booked for June for DH and myself. Plan on flying into Vancouver for a few days of sightseeing and then also heading to Seattle on the Amtrack Cascade train. A couple of questions to ask: 1) How soon should I book the train from Vancouver to Seattle, and am thinking I should of course book the morning train, which I understand leaves early (business class, of course) and 2) which side of the train should we sit on for the best views?

I also have an Alaskan cruise booked for June for DH and myself. Plan on flying into Vancouver for a few days of sightseeing and then also heading to Seattle on the Amtrack Cascade train. A couple of questions to ask: 1) How soon should I book the train from Vancouver to Seattle, and am thinking I should of course book the morning train, which I understand leaves early (business class, of course) and 2) which side of the train should we sit on for the best views?

Book as early as possible, as the prices go up the more seats that have been sold. I booked amtrak business class a few months ago for business class. I had been looking at prices but didn't jump as soon as I should have. Cost of 2 seats went up in the week it took me to decide. My route was Seattle to Vancouver - for heading south the better seats are on the R. hand side. I am not sure if there are business class seats on the other side, though.

Book as early as possible, as the prices go up the more seats that have been sold. I booked amtrak business class a few months ago for business class. I had been looking at prices but didn't jump as soon as I should have. Cost of 2 seats went up in the week it took me to decide. My route was Seattle to Vancouver - for heading south the better seats are on the R. hand side. I am not sure if there are business class seats on the other side, though.

Thank you for the tip. Most things come out 11 months before, we will be sorting flights by the end of June and as soon as they are sorted, we can then book Amtrak.

I am beginning to think with everything that I need to sort, that I need a week of in June this year just to sort everything for next year!!

Thanks again

Jo

The train typically sells out during cruise season, especially Business Class, so you should book as soon as your plans firm up. It is the end of February, the prices will only go up from here.

Taking the early morning train (#513) or the evening train (#517) is of course up to you. During the summer the really scenic parts will be in daylight on either of them.

The seats on the scenic water side are on the right going southbound. Business Class has 2 + 1 seating and under normal operations the "2" side is on the water (right) side.

Edited by zephyr17