Insurance Question

Booked a cruise after final payment date. Initially booked an interior cabin, not too expensive, so I didn't worry about purchasing insurance. Since then I upgraded to a JS and now I have enough invested that I'm considering adding the insurance.

Can you purchase cruisecare after final payment date or must it be before that?

I also realize 3rd party insurance gets a better rap then RC's cruisecare anyway, so I'm leaning towards that (probably TravelGuard) but I'm not even sure if I can add it on a month before sail date???

Gosh I miss the search feature :mad:

They can add third party on but it won't cover pre-existing because you did not get it without two or three weeks of booking.

Don't know for sure if cruise line insurance would be available but I figure they will take your money anytime. Again, no pre-existing coverage but they don't have it anyway unless you consider a "look back" clearence pre-existing.

Differences in the two coverages will be medi-vac. Cruise line is $25K while 3rd party is a more realistic coverage of $125K to a million. Third party is door to door while cruise line may be limited to whatever they sold you. So pre/post hotels, car rental, etc. might not be covered if you arrange those independently or any tours. Cruise line insurance can be cheaper since one price fits all. You pay the same if you are 105 as if you are 5. They make money on the 5 year old, may lose a little on the 105 year old (lol). I've actually seen cruise line more expensive than 3rd party but that is very unusual. Some 3rd party covers kids sharing a cabin for free. Cruise line does not. Third party is based on age/estimated cost of the entire trip so that can make it more expensive since you have more coverage.

If you are driving into port so you don't have to worry about missed flights/connections or lost luggage, will be close enough to the US that $25K would cover medi-evac, have no pre-existing conditions (you or your immediate family) that might cause you to cancel or leave mid-cruise, you could possibly get by with cruise-line if it is notably cheaper. Especially true for Alaskan cruises since you will be in the US and covered by your medical insurance should anything happen for the most part.

Tucker in Texas

My understanding is that, as long as you do not have a pre-exiting condition, you can purchase cruise insurance up until you board.

Using the Search Cruise Critic Box at the top of the page will get you many threads on the subject.:)

One time when I booked a cruise only a couple of days before departure I could not purchase the RCI insurance from RCI. However the RCI CSA gave me the number to call direct and I was able to purchase from the RCI insurance directly from the insurance company.

One time when I booked a cruise only a couple of days before departure I could not purchase the RCI insurance from RCI. However the RCI CSA gave me the number to call direct and I was able to purchase from the RCI insurance directly from the insurance company.

Thanks for the additional info. That's good to know.

My understanding is that, as long as you do not have a pre-exiting condition, you can purchase cruise insurance up until you board.

Using the Search Cruise Critic Box at the top of the page will get you many threads on the subject.:)

Thanks! Well maybe it's only me - but I no longer have a search option, I mentioned that at the end of my post.

No pre-existing conditions or anything like that to worry about.

Why wouldn't you just call Travel Guard and ask ? :confused:

Also curious to know Royal's stance on the issue is why I posted the questions here - suppose I could have made 2 phone calls, but normally I get a good response here.

I know it's Monday - but geeze what grumpy responses :eek: Guess I wont post anything else here today.

They can add third party on but it won't cover pre-existing because you did not get it without two or three weeks of booking.

Don't know for sure if cruise line insurance would be available but I figure they will take your money anytime. Again, no pre-existing coverage but they don't have it anyway unless you consider a "look back" clearence pre-existing.

Differences in the two coverages will be medi-vac. Cruise line is $25K while 3rd party is a more realistic coverage of $125K to a million. Third party is door to door while cruise line may be limited to whatever they sold you. So pre/post hotels, car rental, etc. might not be covered if you arrange those independently or any tours. Cruise line insurance can be cheaper since one price fits all. You pay the same if you are 105 as if you are 5. They make money on the 5 year old, may lose a little on the 105 year old (lol). I've actually seen cruise line more expensive than 3rd party but that is very unusual. Some 3rd party covers kids sharing a cabin for free. Cruise line does not. Third party is based on age/estimated cost of the entire trip so that can make it more expensive since you have more coverage.

If you are driving into port so you don't have to worry about missed flights/connections or lost luggage, will be close enough to the US that $25K would cover medi-evac, have no pre-existing conditions (you or your immediate family) that might cause you to cancel or leave mid-cruise, you could possibly get by with cruise-line if it is notably cheaper. Especially true for Alaskan cruises since you will be in the US and covered by your medical insurance should anything happen for the most part.

Tucker in Texas

Thank you for your response, very helpful :)

Some companies sell insurance with pre-existing coverage as long as you purchase 24 hours before final payment date. I usually purchase CSA deluxe. There are other companies but I don't remember which.

Always read through the exclusions before you purchase so you know what you are buying.

Thanks! Well maybe it's only me - but I no longer have a search option, I mentioned that at the end of my post.

No pre-existing conditions or anything like that to worry about.

You're welcome. :)

The normal Search Function has been disabled, however, if you look at the very top of the page you will see a box that says Search Cruise Critic. That has been there for quite a while and does work. Just a thought for next time.

The normal Search Function has been disabled, however, if you look at the very top of the page you will see a box that says Search Cruise Critic. That has been there for quite a while and does work. Just a thought for next time.

THANK YOU. I completely overlooked that search box. I could have avoided scrolling through pages and pages of posts.:mad:

Unfortunately my plans do change frequently and although the cost is lower if purchased within a few days of the deposit date, I just wait until after final payment. Additionally, I only have experience with TravelGuard and the one time I had to file a claim didn't have a problem. They offer various levels of coverage and you can use the "compare" feature to determine which one works best for you. I'm not familiar with the other insurers but my guess is they have similar offerings.

Wow, that's great, thanks.

The cost of the cruise and air in reality are minor expenses compared to cost of getting injured or sick on a cruise. These costs can severely impact your finances and I would suggest you get the best coverage to cover this event.

Shak