MSC Divina Tipping policy

SammySH

We are thinking of going on Divina in the Fall....never sailed on MSC but noticed their tipping policy says $12 per day pp and this amount cannot be adjusted except through the guest relations manager. Just curious if anyone has tried to adjust their gratuities and what they've experienced. Being that we've never sailed on MSC, I don't want to get stuck with the high price charged for tipping if for some reason we were not satisfied with our service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Remember that there is a LOT of people who will work to make your vacation a memorable one. And a lot of them work in the background... Your 12$/day will be split among many.

I think You have to go to the customer service if you want to reduce/remove the amount because they want to know what was the problem and why you are not happy with the service you received.

I think it's legitimate. I would do the same if I was running a business.

We are thinking of going on Divina in the Fall....never sailed on MSC but noticed their tipping policy says $12 per day pp and this amount cannot be adjusted except through the guest relations manager. Just curious if anyone has tried to adjust their gratuities and what they've experienced. Being that we've never sailed on MSC, I don't want to get stuck with the high price charged for tipping if for some reason we were not satisfied with our service.

Your first post and youre already looking to remove tips.

many hotels have service charges, that is basically what the fee is, by requiring you to go to customer service to address service issues

I wouldn't say I'm cheap by any means, but I'm definitely a deal finder.

That said, removing tips is not a "way to save".

I really wish MSC had "Anytime Dining" for non yacht Club cruisers . . . its a great perk from the big lines for prepaying gratuities. Either that or just make it part of the cruise price.

I've never had bad service on a cruise. I've had issues like an overflowing toilet and even an unclean room when I arrived . . . but both issues were fixed quickly and the rest of the cruise was amazing.

Unless the service is consistently bad throughout, why enter into the mindset of removing tips when you haven't been on the ship.

Hey guys

The OP asked for experience with removing tips. They didn't asked to be judged on why they wanted this information.

On Med cruises you are able to request that the service charge is removed from your cruise account. We know this because posters have made mention of doing just this.

I don't recall seeing mention of people sailing on the Divina and doing this. Perhaps MSC USA can help out. Also, have you tried ringing them? I couldn't tell you if it makes mention on the US website as I can't access it from the UK but it does discuss this on the UK website.

Hey guys

The OP asked for experience with removing tips. They didn't asked to be judged on why they wanted this information.

On Med cruises you are able to request that the service charge is removed from your cruise account. We know this because posters have made mention of doing just this.

I don't recall seeing mention of people sailing on the Divina and doing this. Perhaps MSC USA can help out. Also, have you tried ringing them? I couldn't tell you if it makes mention on the US website as I can't access it from the UK but it does discuss this on the UK website.

There are several posters that are bullies (they probably work for the line). On one of my posts I was told that I must have a ax to grind, so I should do it under a rock.

Pax et bonum,

Kevin

I read these post and have to laugh,

My motto is, if you can't afford the $12.00 a day per person, then you shouldn't be taking a cruise.

I've been on 12+ cruises and see how hard these people work and what goes on in the background, it's a shame how these people have to pick up after some of the slobs on board, I wonder if they live that way at home.

Maybe you should try their job for a week and see if it's worth $12.00 per day!:mad:

Sorry for the harsh comments to you SammySH. I too, come here looking for and sharing info when I can. MSC policy is no extra tips as they have an auto tip/service charge/housekeeping fee in place. We have always given a little extra cash tips to certain wait staff and crew where their service was above the standard. Also, if we ask special service from them, we tip accordingly. Some countries culture is not to tip at all. In the USA we are the opposite as a genera rule. I you receive less than what is expected, in your opinion, then you should take it up with a supervisor/dept. head to resolve the problem. I have seen posters say they have removed the service fee in total. I don't agree with that but then to each his own. Don't give up on CC because of a few harsh responses. It happens on every thread I have been a part of. Enjoy your cruise.

I read these post and have to laugh,

My motto is, if you can't afford the $12.00 a day per person, then you shouldn't be taking a cruise.

I've been on 12+ cruises and see how hard these people work and what goes on in the background, it's a shame how these people have to pick up after some of the slobs on board, I wonder if they live that way at home.

Maybe you should try their job for a week and see if it's worth $12.00 per day!:mad:

Amen.

My view on this is I could never imagine adjusting the gratuities down, no less removing them completely. If I were to stay home and go out to eat twice a day I would surely spend more then $12 per day in gratuities. At that's tipping at the absolute minimum of 15% for sub par service. Now take into account your room steward and other services you receive on board and I think $12 per day is quite reasonable, if not a steal.

I'm from Staten Island and I too took the Staten Island Ferry hundreds and hundreds of times, does that count?..................LMAO:D

SammySH, I'm sorry for my harsh statements to you and should of realized you were only looking for feedback and I'm happy to see that someone from MSC did answer your question.

I'm not a wealthy person by any means, just a hard worker that enjoys to cruise for my vacation. My wife who on the other hand is a cosmetologist and works on a small salary and depends on tips, I see how frustrated she gets and goes into detail about how she would spend 3-4 hours on a woman's hairdo and be given a $3.00 tip:eek: This is why my wife and I are very generous to these people that make our vacation an enjoyable one with their services so we reciprocate with an additional envelope. Please don't get me wrong, we don't just hand out money for the sake of tipping because there are many waitstaff personnel that just don't care and these are the few people that make it bad for the good ones.

Have a great day all,

Mike

Since my original rant was deleted. :) My sum up is this.

If you break it down to 3 meals a day $2 per meal, to serve you and clean up after you, and your room gets visited twice a day $3 per visit to make your bed vacumn and change towels. ETC. Thats a steal.

Sheesh

Thanks for all the feedback. In a few days of joining this forum I've learned that you will be criticized, apologized to, have your replies deleted and found that there are some decent members who truly want to help and answer your question. It's been very interesting.

So why do some comments/replies get deleted? I spent my time explaining myself in a few paragraphs to find it deleted the next day? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the feedback. In a few days of joining this forum I've learned that you will be criticized, apologized to, have your replies deleted and found that there are some decent members who truly want to help and answer your question. It's been very interesting.

So why do some comments/replies get deleted? I spent my time explaining myself in a few paragraphs to find it deleted the next day? Just curious.

Hi Sammy

Posts get deleted for loads of reasons. I've had more than my fair share deleted. Some because I've been rude or obnoxious and someone complained. Some because I got caught up in the middle of something rude or obnoxious and the entire conversation gets deleted so you become a casualty. Some for absolutely no discernible reason whatsoever.

It's interesting that respondents on this (and other) boards read so much into posts that is just not there as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread. As I saw it you asked a question and wanted an answer. Your motivation for asking it is because you wanted to know. It is up to you how you spend your money but it is up to every single one of us to try to ensure that our responses on these pages are humane and considered.

I'm sorry that in this instance you didn't get that. Please don't let it put you off asking more questions though!

Edited by moomoocow

• 2 weeks later...
Should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager on board.

Regards,

I must say my piece here, by doing that MSC Cruises USA , you open up a can of worms to the many ingrates that will take the most advantage of staff, the ones that are never satisfied no matter what anyone does for them, they will be the first on line to ask for their fee back and take it with a smile on their face, I have no use for people like that, I get sick just knowing that they exist

Edited by Cruising.Lovers

I must say my piece here, by doing that MSC Cruises USA , you open up a can of worms to the many ingrates that will take the most advantage of staff, the ones that are never satisfied no matter what anyone does for them, they will be the first on line to ask for their fee back and take it with a smile on their face, I have no use for people like that, I get sick just knowing that they exist.

Thumbs UP!!!!

I would never consider removing the service charges from our upcoming Mediterranean cruise. To me that is just part of the cost of cruising.

However, I must admit that I do feel it lets me off the hook with tipping all and sundry separately (something I'm not used to at all) and that is one of the reasons I chose MSC.

And not to mention the fee per day if you're in the Yacht Club!

Our service charge was only $12 per person per day. Is it less if not in YC? And we gave an extra cash tip to a few individuals in the Top Sail and Le Muse.

Our service charge was only $12 per person per day. Is it less if not in YC? And we gave an extra cash tip to a few individuals in the Top Sail and Le Muse.

That's great news, unlike RCCL that charge more if you are in a concierge suite, I think it's a few dollars more, I'll let you know when I get back from my cruise leaving 3/29/14