what did u use butler and concierge for???

gempro2758

Thanks LMB: will add this to my list. But understand that is a possibility they might charge my acc't.

As previously stated, suite guests can order anything from any restaurant on the ship. If the kitchens make it, you can order it. That's why it's a good idea to ask the pre-cruise concierge to have menus from the complementary and specialty restaurants in your cabin when you arrive.

Re specialty restaurants, it's my understanding that if you order an ENTREE, you will pay the cover charge for the restaurant. If you order an appetizer or dessert, however, there is no extra charge.:)

Re ordering lobster tails for your suite, if you order on the night they are served in the complementary restaurants (usually first night), there is no cover charge.:)

I discovered something interesting during my time on the Sky with a wonderful butler - When I'm traveling, I tend to get very excited about the trip and the sites and the activities and I forget that take care of myself. I forget to eat regularly a lot of the time and I will end up doing things like walking all the way across Rome refusing to get a cab, because I didn't stop to ask myself, "when was the last time you had food?", and now my blood sugar is so low, I'm making bad decisions.

On the Sky I was saved from this by Effran, who left the standard suite perk of evening snacks in my room. The snacks were never hugely thrilling, although I did get extra chocolate cover strawberries cause it was my birthday, but very afternoon, when I got back from the excursion of the day, I would make a cappuccino (Effran made sure we had milk in the fridge to steam) and nibble at whatever he had left us. It made all the difference in the world to my mood and physical health on the trip. I wouldn't have asked for anything, but because it was there, I accepted it and it made my vacation better.

Effran earned a hero card (and a generous tip) and I learned that despite the fact that I am a capable woman when I'm at home, who can always make sure to pack her own lunch for work, when I am on vacation, I need someone to watch out for me.

I've learned that there is no shame in asking for the help that will make my vacation not only special but also tolerable. And I am more than willing to pay, for the privilege and service.

As previously stated, suite guests can order anything from any restaurant on the ship. If the kitchens make it, you can order it. That's why it's a good idea to ask the pre-cruise concierge to have menus from the complementary and specialty restaurants in your cabin when you arrive.

Re specialty restaurants, it's my understanding that if you order an ENTREE, you will pay the cover charge for the restaurant. If you order an appetizer or dessert, however, there is no extra charge.:)

Re ordering lobster tails for your suite, if you order on the night they are served in the complementary restaurants (usually first night), there is no cover charge.:)

But you cannot count on not being charged for appetizers, etc.....we requested two shrimp cocktail appetizers from Cagneys on the Gem and were informed that she would "try" to get them to only charge us one surcharge since we only wanted those two things. Needless to say, we told her to forget it. Not paying $25 (at the time) for 2 shrimp cocktails. :mad:

Edited by peg013

But you cannot count on not being charged for appetizers, etc.....we requested two shrimp cocktail appetizers from Cagneys on the Gem and were informed that she would "try" to get them to only charge us one surcharge since we only wanted those two things. Needless to say, we told her to forget it. Not paying $25 (at the time) for 2 shrimp cocktails. :mad:

Thanks for sharing your experience, re ordering Cagney's shrimp cocktails and facing possible charge for them. Hm.... they have the best shrimp. When we go on our May cruise, I will ask ship crew how to determine what will be charged and what will not be charged. I've only heard that entrees are charged, and not anything else. It may be that your butler was misinformed or didn't want to go to Cagney's to get them:confused:

Just so you know, you can ask the butler to bring you other snacks if you don't like the regular ones. We had them replaced every day with a plate of sliced melon and pineapple, which was divine...this was on the Dawn in November.

I discovered something interesting during my time on the Sky with a wonderful butler - When I'm traveling, I tend to get very excited about the trip and the sites and the activities and I forget that take care of myself. I forget to eat regularly a lot of the time and I will end up doing things like walking all the way across Rome refusing to get a cab, because I didn't stop to ask myself, "when was the last time you had food?", and now my blood sugar is so low, I'm making bad decisions.

On the Sky I was saved from this by Effran, who left the standard suite perk of evening snacks in my room. The snacks were never hugely thrilling, although I did get extra chocolate cover strawberries cause it was my birthday, but very afternoon, when I got back from the excursion of the day, I would make a cappuccino (Effran made sure we had milk in the fridge to steam) and nibble at whatever he had left us. It made all the difference in the world to my mood and physical health on the trip. I wouldn't have asked for anything, but because it was there, I accepted it and it made my vacation better.

Effran earned a hero card (and a generous tip) and I learned that despite the fact that I am a capable woman when I'm at home, who can always make sure to pack her own lunch for work, when I am on vacation, I need someone to watch out for me.

I've learned that there is no shame in asking for the help that will make my vacation not only special but also tolerable. And I am more than willing to pay, for the privilege and service.

Anyone have your suitcase unpacked, then repacked?

That was offered to us, BUT ... no way was I buying all new undies for a cruise, and no way was I letting someone unpack my "oldies but goodies"!!:o

[quote name='wvfrogg']Anyone have your suitcase unpacked, then repacked?

That was offered to us, BUT ... no way was I buying all new undies for a cruise, and no way was I letting someone unpack my "oldies but goodies"!!:o[/quote]

Have read one person that does for two reason:

1. Just nice to have them do it for you
2. The butler is actually trained how to pack a bag and fold clothes properly so clothes will arrive in better shape than if they did it

Tip: Put all the items you don't want butler to see/unpack in a separate bag inside luggage or in carryon so he won't unpack

[quote name='JuneauMe']I've never been "buttled" Do I want to be 'buttled ?" BTW I like your screen name :)[/quote]

If you have a butler you will be buttled whether you like it or not. ;) (It's an old fashioned term.)

You actually joined CC before I did! If a had ever 'seen' you around I certainly wouldn't have stolen your name. Oh well, great minds think alike. :D

MRBOOKEND- If a butler folded and packed my clothes better than I can, while I stood by and watched, I would be woefully embarrassed. :o

[quote name='JuneauWhatIMean']
MRBOOKEND- If a butler folded and packed my clothes better than I can, while I stood by and watched, I would be woefully embarrassed. :o[/quote]

As for me, JWIM, I am sure the butler would do better than me, but I intend to pack my own. Of course by the sixth day, after watching butling first hand, I may become a convert and succumb to having my bags packed professionally.

There is a method to the madness of having the Butler pack your bag very
professionally only to realize that there is now more room available to take
home more gift shop junk - duty free liquor - and spoils from ride of the Pirates
of the Caribbean thereby enhancing the airlines charging you an overweight FEE.
It is a madness the travel industry has thrust upon on the unknowing !
Pack your own bags and avoid the travel industry siphoning the last buck out
of your now empty wallet or overcharged credit card ! LOL !
Now of course there is an advantage to having all your laundry well packed
pressed and ready to go when you get home saving those costs and time.

Well like they have cooking classes on board with other culinary shows - NCL
should have a luggage packing class by one of those Butlers. They cater to
most everything else !

[quote=don't-use-real-name;42063636]There is a method to the madness of having the Butler pack your bag very
professionally only to realize that there is now more room available to take
home more gift shop junk - duty free liquor [/quote]

Please delete Quoted post above: If my SO sees this, she may decide that the 6 bottles of good French/Spanish wines which she is already planning to bring back, could be increased.

May be cheaper to throw my clothes away to not go overweight at check in. Oh well, less laundry to do. Edited by MRBOOKEND

[quote name='JuneauWhatIMean']If you have a butler you will be buttled whether you like it or not. ;) (It's an old fashioned term.)
You actually joined CC before I did! If a had ever 'seen' you around I certainly wouldn't have stolen your name. Oh well, great minds think alike. :D [/quote]

I probably won't get "Buttled" unless the upgrade fairy comes to visit.
Yes, great minds do think alike.I don't post very often ( I'm shy.LOL) , so no stealing involved. I actually think your screen name is more clever than mine, and I'm guessing you like Alaska as much as I do. :cool:

[quote name='MRBOOKEND']Please delete Quoted post above: If my SO sees this, she may decide that the 6 bottles of good French/Spanish wines which she is already planning to bring back, could be increased.

May be cheaper to throw my clothes away to not go overweight at check in. Oh well, less laundry to do.[/QUOTE]

If I toss my DH, DS and DD stuff overboard and have the butler pack my stuff, I could really do some wine shopping damage. I will have to keep this in mind when we do our European holiday for my DS's high school graduation and DD's 16th birthday combo celebration. I'll just tell my DH that a fellow CC member gave me the idea! :D

[quote name='joeski27']Yeah totally agree with you here. We are set to be first time butlered guests (first time in a full & proper suite) on Getaway, and I came to this thread actually looking for [I]actual information [/I]but unfortunately over half the "responses" are people who think it is a better idea to spend 10 minutes putting a "why don't you search for butler threads" post, when they can spend less than 5 minutes ACTUALLY PROVIDING RELEVANT INFORMATION. IMHO (and I'm not afraid to say what everyone is thinkin here) its that kind of thing that shows the true colors of of many (but not necessarily all) of those cruisers that do stay in nothing less than suites/Haven on every cruise. We've never done this suite/Haven thing before, and are doing it to celebrate our 5th anniversary, but I seriously hope I don't have to mingle with people who carry themselves like that while I'm in the Haven. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Have a great time in your suite and just remember the stairs can be brutal! :D On our Breakaway trip we had all the coffee removed and replaced with tea. The butler also provided fresh lemon each morning as well as honey. As for treats he provided us with hot pretzels, cookies, brownies, a small bowl of M&M's. We would normally stay up very late each night and miss breakfast service so he made sure we had fresh Danish each morning when we woke up. As for Adrian the concierge - he is awesome. He was always able to get us into any restaurant at the last minute, we never had to wait in a line and had great seats for the shows. We loved our experience that we are heading back to the Breakaway next month - again in a Haven suite.

Are there butlers and concierge on all NCL ships? How many are usually on board or does it depend on how many suites are on the ship? I assume the larger ships have more suites so there are more than one butler/concierge? Edited by AF-1

[quote name='AF-1']Are there butlers and concierge on all NCL ships? How many are usually on board or does it depend on how many suites are on the ship? I assume the larger ships have more suites so there are more than one butler/concierge?[/QUOTE]

GREAT QUESTION/INQUIRY !

I too am interested in the answer to this !
Factors - number of suites requiring a Butler - - - all suites; owners and haven - - -
---------- number of suites assigned to a Butler - - - differs by ship - - -
---------- on beck and call 24/7 - does the Butler have a relief shift Butler - - -
---------- Concierges numbers and assignments - - -

All suites (S categories) get butler service. The number of butlers depends on the ship and number of suites. One butler gets stuck with the overnight shift but the responsibility is rotated. For example on the Dawn one butler for the 2 GVs and the SFs on deck 8. One for all the suites on deck 9 another for deck 10, 1 for all the SCs on deck 11, 2 more for the new suites on 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

[quote name='AjBren2']Why must people be bashed for asking a question? Probably every question that is currently asked on this forum has been asked before. If people do not want to answer a question that has already been asked, then don't. This forum should be about helping people find answers to questions, sharing experiences, and interacting with other people about a subject that apparently appeals to all of us, not to try to make someone feel like crap for not wanting to, or not knowing how to search. Maybe someone, by asking a question is trying to start a connection, or start a dialogue. Either way, it is my belief that if you do not want to answer or add something constructive to the topic at hand, you should just move on to find one that does instead of the unnecessary commentary.[/quote]

Well said. In particular, I was reading with interest the posts because I wanted to know not only was provided as standard, but what others had asked for.

[quote name='time2cruise1']All suites (S categories) get butler service. The number of butlers depends on the ship and number of suites. One butler gets stuck with the overnight shift but the responsibility is rotated. For example on the Dawn one butler for the 2 GVs and the SFs on deck 8. One for all the suites on deck 9 another for deck 10, 1 for all the SCs on deck 11, 2 more for the new suites on 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim[/QUOTE]

We were just discussing this last night.

Told my parents that a butler had to cover more than just the 2 GV's on the Dawn.

Wonder who the Dawn GV butler is right now?
(less than 3 weeks until 14000) Edited by bguppies

[quote name='bguppies']We were just discussing this last night.

Told my parents that a butler had to cover more than just the 2 GV's on the Dawn.

Wonder who the Dawn GV butler is right now?
(less than 3 weeks until 14000)[/QUOTE]

Ooooo, I hope you plan to write a review- we'll be in 14500 in June and I would love to hear about your experiences!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app