what did u use butler and concierge for???

gempro2758

I read these boards all the time to get as much info as I possibly can.....and I absolutely agree with you.....I don't understand why people choose to respond just to be nasty. Thanks for saying it so well!

I 100% agree. I am new to NCL but that behavior seems to be MUCH more rampant here then on the RCCL or CCL boards. Every single post on here has someone either trying to discount your concern/question or they post that this has been asked before. Almost EVERY question has been asked, that does NOT mean additional discussion is helpful to other people. If you post on a thread just to say that this has been asked before, or simply telling people to search you are an....let just say I wipe you daily....

6&8

I 100% agree. I am new to NCL but that behavior seems to be MUCH more rampant here then on the RCCL or CCL boards. Every single post on here has someone either trying to discount your concern/question or they post that this has been asked before. Almost EVERY question has been asked, that does NOT mean additional discussion is helpful to other people. If you post on a thread just to say that this has been asked before, or simply telling people to search you are an....let just say I wipe you daily....

6&8

That's awesome...I agree!

Why must people be bashed for asking a question? Probably every question that is currently asked on this forum has been asked before. If people do not want to answer a question that has already been asked, then don't. This forum should be about helping people find answers to questions, sharing experiences, and interacting with other people about a subject that apparently appeals to all of us, not to try to make someone feel like crap for not wanting to, or not knowing how to search. Maybe someone, by asking a question is trying to start a connection, or start a dialogue. Either way, it is my belief that if you do not want to answer or add something constructive to the topic at hand, you should just move on to find one that does instead of the unnecessary commentary.

Well said.

6&8

FWIW, you just did exactly that in another thread. Irony keeps this place exciting though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry for your experience. It's happened to a lot of us. I think there are forum members for whom this is their entire social life (sadly), and when someone new "intrudes" it disrupts their sense of family or something. Oh, and people are jerks. There's that.

FWIW, you just did exactly that in another thread. Irony keeps this place exciting though!

Like the irony of someone who has 459 posts in less than 2 months talking about "members for whom this is their entire social life (sadly),"? :rolleyes:

Like the irony of someone who has 459 posts in less than 2 months talking about "members for whom this is their entire social life (sadly),"? :rolleyes:

It appears I hit a nerve. :-)

I read these boards all the time to get as much info as I possibly can.....and I absolutely agree with you.....I don't understand why people choose to respond just to be nasty. Thanks for saying it so well!

It's all in the tone. "This has been asked before, here's the thread" said in one tone could be "here's a whole lot of information that will be helpful for you -- so glad to be able to point you to it" or "you idiot, this has been asked a million times before."

Unfortunately, you can't always tell tone in an internet post. I prefer to just assume that people who say "This has been asked before" are just trying to be helpful by letting the OP know that there's a lot of information out there on the topic -- especially if they then provide a link to it.

So there is a cruise critic article about butlers and the following was on it for Norwegian:

" Who Gets It: Norwegian Cruise Line offers 24-hour butler service for all cruisers staying in suites.

What They Do: The International Institute of Modern Butlers oversees Norwegian's Butler Training program. These well-trained individuals assist passengers with priority embarkation/debarkation; unpacking and repacking garments; shoe shines; delivering liquor, wine and beverages; delivering DVD's and CD's; and filling/emptying hot tubs and bathtubs. Norwegian's butlers also help with delivery of flowers, personalized letters and stationery on embarkation day and during the cruise. They serve Champagne; ensure that fresh flowers, fruit baskets, sodas, water, newspapers and other amenities are set up properly and freshened as needed; set up private in-cabin cocktail parties; and take food orders and serve in-room breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner from any menu onboard, including the alternative dining venues.

Get This: Butlers on Norwegian ships are culled from the rank and file of the hotel department, based on their excellent customer service and positive consumer feedback. As a result, Norwegian's butlers retain a level of warmth and a service ethic that's hard to find on any other cruise line. Butler service on a Freestyle ship can make the big-ship cruising experience intimate, cozy and special. "

--------

So, some questions: it mentions newspapers--are there newspapers? Do Spa Suites get any sodas? Since these rooms are not in the Haven how accessible is the Butler? Is there one butler for all the Spa Suites? Anyone have your suitcase unpacked, then repacked? Would they actually go to, say, the outdoor grill venue ( can't remember the name but the one with the Cuban food) and bring one of everything back for s to split/share/taste? Seems silly but then again might be a relaxing way to lunch. If you do get served in your room have you found the food to stay hot? Actually, is there even room in a Spa Suite to eat?

I think my wife and I are the rare case but…….we did not use either for anything.

I used the butler once.....not realizing I was using the butler. I had ordered room service - hot tea and 2 tuna sandwiches. I didn't realize the butler was going to bringing it when I called room service.

I also know it is the butler that brings the daily goodies to your room.

However, when I'm not in a suite I still get the daily goodies but it is delivered by someone in room service.

The concierge I only used to for debarkation and if there was a tender. Otherwise, going a shore I had to meet where my ticket said to meet at a specific time anyway. It's easy enough to make my own dinner reservations so I did it myself.

Harriet

So there is a cruise critic article about butlers and the following was on it for Norwegian:

" Who Gets It: Norwegian Cruise Line offers 24-hour butler service for all cruisers staying in suites.

What They Do: The International Institute of Modern Butlers oversees Norwegian's Butler Training program. These well-trained individuals assist passengers with priority embarkation/debarkation; unpacking and repacking garments; shoe shines; delivering liquor, wine and beverages; delivering DVD's and CD's; and filling/emptying hot tubs and bathtubs. Norwegian's butlers also help with delivery of flowers, personalized letters and stationery on embarkation day and during the cruise. They serve Champagne; ensure that fresh flowers, fruit baskets, sodas, water, newspapers and other amenities are set up properly and freshened as needed; set up private in-cabin cocktail parties; and take food orders and serve in-room breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner from any menu onboard, including the alternative dining venues.

Get This: Butlers on Norwegian ships are culled from the rank and file of the hotel department, based on their excellent customer service and positive consumer feedback. As a result, Norwegian's butlers retain a level of warmth and a service ethic that's hard to find on any other cruise line. Butler service on a Freestyle ship can make the big-ship cruising experience intimate, cozy and special. "

--------

So, some questions: it mentions newspapers--are there newspapers? Do Spa Suites get any sodas? Since these rooms are not in the Haven how accessible is the Butler? Is there one butler for all the Spa Suites? Anyone have your suitcase unpacked, then repacked? Would they actually go to, say, the outdoor grill venue ( can't remember the name but the one with the Cuban food) and bring one of everything back for s to split/share/taste? Seems silly but then again might be a relaxing way to lunch. If you do get served in your room have you found the food to stay hot? Actually, is there even room in a Spa Suite to eat?

Excellent post. Thanks for the info.

Why must people be bashed for asking a question? Probably every question that is currently asked on this forum has been asked before. If people do not want to answer a question that has already been asked, then don't. This forum should be about helping people find answers to questions, sharing experiences, and interacting with other people about a subject that apparently appeals to all of us, not to try to make someone feel like crap for not wanting to, or not knowing how to search. Maybe someone, by asking a question is trying to start a connection, or start a dialogue. Either way, it is my belief that if you do not want to answer or add something constructive to the topic at hand, you should just move on to find one that does instead of the unnecessary commentary.

Well said..there is nothing new under the sun...everything has been asked and answered on these boards...

Haven't seen a newspaper on NCL in years. Maybe they mean the Freestyle Daily?

Spa suites do not come with sodas, only Owner's Suites and higher do. You will receive a bottle of sparkling wine and one bottle of water.

All suites have butlers, no matter where they are located on the ship.They will be accessible by calling them, just like any suite in the Haven itself.

Not sure how many suites per butler on new ships, but I know on Jewel-class they can have as many as 8-10 suites to tend to.

Never asked a butler to pack or unpack for me, never will (unless I become unable to do it myself). Butlers are very busy on embarkation day, and I would hate to monopolize him/her. If I ever did find the need to request this, I would plan on an extra large $$$ tip.

Yes, they will bring you food from almost any venue on the ship (exceptions are usually sushi and teppanyaki). Asking for one of everything on the menu would be an extraordinary request, though, and again, I'd plan to tip extra large $$$.

Food will be delivered hot to medium (occasionally cool), depending on how far you are from the venue, how many other people are having food delivered at the same time, and what you order (multiple courses will be cooler when you get to the later ones if you eat them in order).

From photos I've seen of the Breakaway Spa Suites, there is a very small table, large enough for maybe two plates and maybe a glass or two. The photos I have seen had a flower arrangement on the tabletop that covered the entire top. There is also a very small table on the balcony, about dinner plate sized.

Hope this helps!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Haven't seen a newspaper on NCL in years. Maybe they mean the Freestyle Daily?

Spa suites do not come with sodas, only Owner's Suites and higher do. You will receive a bottle of sparkling wine and one bottle of water.

All suites have butlers, no matter where they are located on the ship.They will be accessible by calling them, just like any suite in the Haven itself.

Not sure how many suites per butler on new ships, but I know on Jewel-class they can have as many as 8-10 suites to tend to.

Never asked a butler to pack or unpack for me, never will (unless I become unable to do it myself). Butlers are very busy on embarkation day, and I would hate to monopolize him/her. If I ever did find the need to request this, I would plan on an extra large $$$ tip.

Yes, they will bring you food from almost any venue on the ship (exceptions are usually sushi and teppanyaki). Asking for one of everything on the menu would be an extraordinary request, though, and again, I'd plan to tip extra large $$$.

Food will be delivered hot to medium (occasionally cool), depending on how far you are from the venue, how many other people are having food delivered at the same time, and what you order (multiple courses will be cooler when you get to the later ones if you eat them in order).

From photos I've seen of the Breakaway Spa Suites, there is a very small table, large enough for maybe two plates and maybe a glass or two. The photos I have seen had a flower arrangement on the tabletop that covered the entire top. There is also a very small table on the balcony, about dinner plate sized.

Hope this helps!

Robin

I've been a little leery of calling for service ever since a steward chastised me for calling with the request that he empty our fridge...I hadn't seen him so called.

As far as the Flamingo Bar & Grill it looked like a very limited menu so I didn't think it was going to be too much, since DH is such a "hearty" eater.

And yes, I already have an envelope going to save for extra tips.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

LOL

On the other hand we did see other people really abusing the butler we had. Calling him on the portable phone from the Spa and asking him to bring a book up from the persons cabin……thats just crazy

Why is that crazy? I thought the purpose of being on a cruise is so you can have people do things for you. And hopefully if good service is provided we will acknowledge it with a proper gratuity.

My 2 cents....

One of the best tips I've read on Cruise Critic is to utilize the pre-cruise concierge. Give him/her a list of what you would like in your cabin. An example includes either choosing from the pillow menu or asking to have a pillow of each type on the bed so you can pick one. (If you've cruised in a suite before, I'm told NCL keeps a record of the type of pillow you've used previously, and has it in your suite.)

We've asked that the fridge be emptied ahead of time, and skim milk provided (done), and for a selection of both regular and decafe coffee and tea (done).

We pre-ordered lobster tails as appetizers in our room at 5:30 PM on embarkation night--the night that the main dining rooms serve it (another idea from a CCer), and they came exactly as ordered, hot and perfectly cooked, except our butler gave us double what we had ordered:):) We were celebrating our anniversary, so this early start was really nice.

We asked that menus from all the restaurants be in the cabin, to make it easier to choose when ordering room service (done). And we asked for chocolate croissants to be delivered every morning at 7:30 AM (except the last morning), so I could enjoy one with my early morning cappuccino (done). Though our butler again doubled everything!:):)

One CCer said she always prints a copy of what she's asked the pre-concierge to arrange, and gives it to the butler when she boards, so everyone is on the same page and the butler has preferences in writing.

Why is that crazy? I thought the purpose of being on a cruise is so you can have people do things for you. And hopefully if good service is provided we will acknowledge it with a proper gratuity.

My 2 cents....

Yep, it is exactly what a butler does and loves to do. Making your vacation more pleasurable is their goal.

We are first time suite guests as well. What is an appropriate amount to tip the butler and concierge? Hope someone answers soon. We leave tomorrow for a Saturday cruise.:D:D:D:D:D Excited! Excited! Excited!

I budget $10 each b & c per day. So does my mom who I travel with. Some here do $10 pppd butler and $5 concierge.

I leave $5 ea meal at Cagneys b & lunch.

I tip extra to my steward. That's optional.

Happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are first time suite guests as well. What is an appropriate amount to tip the butler and concierge? Hope someone answers soon. We leave tomorrow for a Saturday cruise.:D:D:D:D:D Excited! Excited! Excited!

This will be my first cruise (making it also my first suite cruise) and I have read many threads on the subject here. Seems that other than "zero", there is no wrong answer. There have been ranges from $5 pp(not per day) to as much as $20 per person per day. Some have tagged dollar amounts such as $50-$200 per week and up from there. Another general rule I've seen is to set your budget on what you want to leave ahead of time then adjust upon use of your butler/concierge and level of service. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

There have been ranges from $5 pp(not per day) to as much as $20 per person per day.

I have never read here on CC that someone left or suggested to leave $5.00 per person for the entire cruise to either the butler or the concierge. That would be $10.00 for 2 people as a tip for a week-long cruise?

I have read that some leave or have suggested to leave $5.00 per person per day to the concierge.

Just saying....

Harriet

I have never read here on CC that someone left or suggested to leave $5.00 per person for the entire cruise to either the butler or the concierge. That would be $10.00 for 2 people as a tip for a week-long cruise?

I have read that some leave or have suggested to leave $5.00 per person per day to the concierge.

Just saying....

Harriet

I can definitely believe that there was one cheapo who did tip just that ($10 total for entire cruise.) I've seen mentions of zero, sometimes for legitimate reasons. But obviously your $5 per person per day (as a starting minimum) is more in line with the norm.

I can definitely believe that there was one cheapo who did tip just that ($10 total for entire cruise.) I've seen mentions of zero, sometimes for legitimate reasons. But obviously your $5 per person per day (as a starting minimum) is more in line with the norm.

True....there is always one in the crowd!

I usually don't use the concierge for much so feel $5.00 per person is enough.

I start out with $10.00 per person for the Butler and go up from there depending on usage and service.

I also am not a drinker so always leave them and the room steward the bottles of wine/champagne that I always receive.

Harriet

We pre-ordered lobster tails as appetizers in our room at 5:30 PM on embarkation night--the night that the main dining rooms serve it (another idea from a CCer), and they came exactly as ordered, hot and perfectly cooked, except our butler gave us double what we had ordered:):) We were celebrating our anniversary, so this early start was really nice.

This is probably the best tip I have picked up on CC in years! We only eat dinner in specialties, so this is a fantastic way for us to enjoy the lobster anyway, and in the comfort of our suite. THANK YOU!

OP, we travel with extended family including our very young children, so instead of waiting on line for pics in the public areas (with a cheesy backdrop!), we asked our concierge if we could have a ship photographer come to our suite and take pics with our gorgeous suite as the backdrop. What a perfect idea that was- we LOVE those pics and bought tons of them!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Very well said!!! Like the old saying goes: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.