crusing as a "passenger of size"

Heleftherakiss

I am going on my first cruise (NCL Sky Miami March 31-Apr 4) in a few weeks and I am nervous about my size/weight being limiting and/or embarrassing while on the cruise. Anyone who has any experience, suggestions, or comments please feel free to pass on any words of wisdom. (Just for reference I am over 300 lbs but I am also tall so most people who look at me wouldn't think I am that heavy. But my point is I am not just 20 lbs overweight.)

My biggest concern is with the excursions. Many of them list weight limits, which I understand for certain things like Segways or parasailing, but even some of the snorkeling and sailing ones have a weight limit of 300 lbs. I am not in great shape but I'm an excellent swimmer and LOVE the water and snorkeling and this is basically all I want to do when we're in ports, but I'm terrified that they're going to weigh me and say I can't participate. Does anyone know why there would be a weight limit on snorkeling? I don't know if it's just something they list for people's safety or if it really matters.

Also wondering about beach towels. Should I bring my own larger towel? I guess that applies to the towels in the room, too. I use the larger "bath sheet" ones at home but I imagine they just have the standard skimpy size. I'm traveling with my mom so it doesn't really matter for the room but I'd like to have a reasonable sized towel for the beach.

I guess that's all the specific questions I have for the moment. Overall I'm super excited to go on my first cruise and first trip to the Caribbean, but I am also very nervous that my size will pose problems. Any advice is greatly appreciated! (Not looking for dieting advice, thanks.)

I'm big myself. Won't say how much, LOL, but I understand your concerns.

Some NCL ships we use have tiny toilet stalls in the cabins. I fit OK, but I've seen people who I wonder how they manage. Showers, too.

Snorkeling off a beach wouldn't be a problem but climbing back onto a boat might be. I had the embarrassing situation where two men had to push on my butt to get me up a ladder. And I'd like to try river tubing, but I'm afraid I wouldn't fit in the tube.

I did have to get weighed for a helicopter ride in Hawaii. All four of us did, it was so they could balance the load.

I'm short as well as heavy, so the beach towels are fine for me.

Edited by gooch47

Consider our own physical abilities when choosing excursions. Certainly, a large person who is mobile and has the strength to pull themselves up a ladder will be more welcome than one with less physical strength.

There are also plenty of opportunities to snorkle without signing up for a ship-sponsored excursion, if that is a concern.

As for towels, your cabin will be well stocked, and you can easily request more from your steward, but you may choose to pack your own larger towel for excursions.

We find the ship beach towels to be bulky and heavy when wet, so may take an old bed sheet for the beach -- light, packs small, doesn't hold sand, and we can share it! We may toss it over the umbrella to extend the shade, or used it as a 'changing room' to get out of sandy swimsuits. That and a hand-towel to dry our faces, and we're set.

... but I am also tall ...

even some of the snorkeling and sailing ones have a weight limit of 300 lbs. I am not in great shape but I'm an excellent swimmer and LOVE the water and snorkeling

Just remember anyone over 6 ft should watch the head-clearance on the ship :D.

Weight limits might be to limit liability, but could also be due to those silly inflatable life vests that they force you to wear nowadays. However if you are a good swimmer then wear it (because they insist), and then just don't inflate it all the way.

Nothing to be nervous about as you won't be the only person of size on board the ship.

Re: snorkeling : If the ships excursion includes using a boat to get to the snorkeling area than the weight limit is more a result of that as the boat has maximum person/weight capacity that needs to be estimated. SEtting a weight maximum is the easiest way to do this . You would be better to just book a private excursion. You can generally go on line and pre-book or there are generally excursions that can be booked once you get into port.

Re: towels - again won't really be an issue. The ships towels will be fine for you... including both the towels for the beach and those in your cabin. Would definitely not bring towels from home particularly if you're flying as they take up too much luggage space.

Re: showers - if you find the shower in the cabin to be uncomfortable most ships have showers in the fitness center that are much larger and often prefered by people of size.

Also if the dining room chairs have armrsts that you find unconfortable don't be afraid to request a chair with no armrests. The staff is very used to such a request and it's nothing be embarressed about. Would suggest checking out the dining room after boarding to check out the chairs. If needed you can speak to the Matre'D at that time to make the request instead later at dinner that night.

Go and enjoy ! There really is nothing to be nervous about.

Re: showers - if you find the shower in the cabin to be uncomfortable most ships have showers in the fitness center that are much larger and often prefered by people of size.

Ah, yes, the showers. For OP, the bathroom floor on some ships is a 3 to 4 inch platform rise above the regular cabin floor, so the shower has reduced height clearance. I am 6 foot tall and it is tight on clearance.

You sound about the size of my hubby....it's NOT a problem at all! You won't be given a 2nd glance because of size! Hubby is 6'2", and doesn't look his weight....he's never hit his head anywhere, or not been able to fit in ANY furniture or toilet stall or shower! The towels are plenty big....if you need extra, just ask!

You are worrying about nothing at all.

Edited by cb at sea

You certainly won't be the only "person of size" on your cruise. Don't give it a second thought ... no one else will.

No need to take up your luggage space with beach towels! They will be provided by the ship.

Hopefully, all of the ship's tours involving snorkeling won't have weight limits.

If so, you'll be able to snorkel off a beach.

Try not to worry and expect to have a wonderful time! :)

LuLu

~~~

Just remember anyone over 6 ft should watch the head-clearance on the ship :D.

Weight limits might be to limit liability, but could also be due to those silly inflatable life vests that they force you to wear nowadays. However if you are a good swimmer then wear it (because they insist), and then just don't inflate it all the way.

Thanks, I'm only 5'9" so I hope I won't be knocking my head anywhere. :)

So you are required to wear life vests even if you're snorkeling off the beach? That's the kind of thing I'm worried won't fit me.

Thanks for all the great responses. I don't like that I'm worrying about this, but I can't help it. Also I'm traveling with my mom, who can be very critical. I'm less worried about people on the ship being judgmental than her. Are there any activities or areas people would suggest avoiding for size reasons? I have no interest in parasailing or ropes courses or anything like that, but it's helpful to know things like needing to climb ladders to get back into boats. That one hadn't occurred to me.

I don't think you will have any problem with stares or comments--there are lots of larger cruisers.

I was assuming you were a man, and when you said 'tall', I immediately thought 'TALL", like 6'4" or more. I have seen very tall cruisers and have wondered how the heck they get along--but they do. Are you a woman?

There are plenty of places to snorkel from the shore, but you will have to do some research to find them. Also, if ship tours have a weight limit, private tours might not--again, you'll have to research.

Some boat snorkel trips do make you use life jackets, which I hate as I am a strong swimmer, but usually they are the inflatable type and I just don't inflate them. I don't think they would be a fit problem, but not sure. Others don't require them, but provide them as needed. Again, private tours may be less restrictive.

If there are ladders down into the water, that can be difficult for anyone to get back up. I hate to say it, but research!

Showers and bathrooms can be awfully tiny, and I have wondered how some people fit, but a good tip is the one earlier about using the showers in the fitness area.

Bath towels are normal size, beach towels a normal beach towel size. If beach towels would work for you, I bet your stateroom attendant can get you more--they'll replace them everyday if used anyway (depends on ship). I'd hate to use up luggage space on bath sheets, but you know what is comfortable for you.

Go and have fun--you will not be the biggest person on the ship, I bet.

I just thought you needed to hear one more time, "go and have a blast!" You will not be the only person of size. Re: beach towels, if you're a lady get yourself a nice beach cover-up that you feel good in. Then you won't need to cover up with the beach towel. If you're concerned about the life vest (again, do some research) buy and bring your own.

I just thought you needed to hear one more time, "go and have a blast!" You will not be the only person of size. Re: beach towels, if you're a lady get yourself a nice beach cover-up that you feel good in. Then you won't need to cover up with the beach towel. If you're concerned about the life vest (again, do some research) buy and bring your own.

Its also a good idea to have a nice cover up if you're going to be doing any shopping or sight seeing after snorkelling or swimming. On many Caribbean islands, its considered rude to wear a swimsuit away from the beach.

Have a great cruise.

I forgot to mention that in my original post-- I am a woman (34), and I am planning to bring a cover-up, also because I will fry in the sun no matter how often I reapply sunscreen. For the beach towels I was more thinking about having enough space to lie down on it. I really appreciate all the encouraging comments. I'm (obviously) very self conscious but I am trying to get more comfortable with my body. And I do plan on having a blast!

Like the others I want to encourage you to go and have a great time. However, the tour companies do not want to discourage folks from taking their tours. So when you see requirement, such as weight, they are usually there for a reason. With snorkling for example, ladders to get out and the ability to get you out of the water in an emergency could be the reasons. There are so many things to do I would not let one or two items discourage me.

Have fun!!!

I forgot to mention that in my original post-- I am a woman (34), and I am planning to bring a cover-up, also because I will fry in the sun no matter how often I reapply sunscreen. For the beach towels I was more thinking about having enough space to lie down on it. I really appreciate all the encouraging comments. I'm (obviously) very self conscious but I am trying to get more comfortable with my body. And I do plan on having a blast!

Here's another thread for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218007

Thanks for all the great responses. I don't like that I'm worrying about this, but I can't help it. Also I'm traveling with my mom, who can be very critical. I'm less worried about people on the ship being judgmental than her. Are there any activities or areas people would suggest avoiding for size reasons? I have no interest in parasailing or ropes courses or anything like that, but it's helpful to know things like needing to climb ladders to get back into boats. That one hadn't occurred to me.

You know...I am typically an easy going person and my mother-in-law can be very judgemental and, quite frankly, rude with her comments. Just before we left on our cruise last August I weighed 335 (6'-1") but on the weight loss journey I am still traveling (now weigh 290). We were talking about our upcoming vacation and she mentioned she hoped we would enjoy it given our size...my wife is also fluffy...and not get strange looks. I just looked at her and said "The way I look at it when it comes to our appearance is that the people that matter do not care and the people that care do not matter."

I felt a little bad after I said it but she has not commented on either my or my wife's size/appearance since.

So you are required to wear life vests even if you're snorkeling off the beach? That's the kind of thing I'm worried won't fit me.

Snorkelling from a beach i.e. not part of a tour group you can do whatever you wish. However with ship-booked tours I have found that (on the West coast), they require you to put it on. The size is generous as the construction material is not like a normal life-vest from the ship. It is manufactured from a plastic material more like those arm-band (floaties??) that kids wear when they are learning to swim. It will not be restrictive, and if you want to dive down deep under the water level then the tour guide will say that it is ok to deflate it. You will be fine even if you do wear it.

Your biggest problem is that you believe that cruisers look like the people in the brochures. I always laughed when I watch shows like CSI Miami and all those thin perfect bodies. Where the heck do they find them cos the rest of the world sure doesn't look like that.

The only time I ever gave thought to someone else was a cruise many years ago. This woman had on a scanty bikini. I was sitting at a table thinking to myself, "wow if I had those hips I don't think I'd be wearing that". Then I thought, "well that was kind of catty" and smacked myself. Seconds later a man that I had never seen before asks if he can share my table. Sure. He looks at her and says "wow if I had those hips I don't think I'd be wearing that". I almost died.

Other cruisers are not fashion models. Unless you do something rip roaring noticeable, no one will give you a second look to criticize.

If the ship's excursion has weight limitations, be sure to check with private tour companies. The ATV excursion in Costa Maya through HAL had a per person limit I wouldn't fall within, but the private operator had a different limit that was a maximum allowed for the vehicle, not per person.

You know...I am typically an easy going person and my mother-in-law can be very judgemental and, quite frankly, rude with her comments. Just before we left on our cruise last August I weighed 335 (6'-1") but on the weight loss journey I am still traveling (now weigh 290). We were talking about our upcoming vacation and she mentioned she hoped we would enjoy it given our size...my wife is also fluffy...and not get strange looks. I just looked at her and said "The way I look at it when it comes to our appearance is that the people that matter do not care and the people that care do not matter."

I felt a little bad after I said it but she has not commented on either my or my wife's size/appearance since.

Good for you! My mother used to say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I'd rather see a fluffy person wearing nicely fitting swimwear (I fall on the fluffy side myself :)), than some skinnier people who think they look fantastic stuffed into a speedo or a skimpy bikini. Those are the ones who don't seem to check themselves out in a mirror before strutting around the deck. :eek:

Its also a good idea to have a nice cover up if you're going to be doing any shopping or sight seeing after snorkelling or swimming. On many Caribbean islands, its considered rude to wear a swimsuit away from the beach.

Have a great cruise.

exactly what does this have to do with a size question?

Just let her know there are some of us that are admirers of the fluffy persuasion. :D