T-shirt??

Natalia&Nick

Opinions needed.

What's the difference between a polo and a t-shirt?

Will I "be allowed" to wear a t-shirt under a sports jacket on non-formal nights, so long as I lave my jacket on (which of course I always would).

And is a long-sleeved t-shirt still a t-shirt?

I'm less asking about the codes, more-so what I will get away with and what might offend.

I'm English, btw, and jacket, t-shirt and jeans would be acceptable anywhere.

Thanks

Polo shirt has a collar a t-shirt doesn't.

"Will I "be allowed" to wear a t-shirt under a sports jacket on non-formal nights, so long as I lave my jacket on (which of course I always would).

And is a long-sleeved t-shirt still a t-shirt?"

My educated guess is that a plain colored t-shirt under a nice dinner jacket with khakis would be just fine as it would qualify for smart casual. A long sleeved t-shirt with no jacket might be pushing the edges a bit.

ANY shirt with an offensive message such as "I got my monkey spanked at the Banana Bar in Jamaica" or obviously advertising a product, political message, or controversial pictures/images is going to be a no-no. Collar, sleeves or not.

This reminds me of when I was reading Bridget Jones Diary (before the movies came out) and I read about Bridget having to wear a "reindeer jumper" her mother had given her for x-mas to her parents party to please her mom.

[A jumper in America is a dress with straps meant to be worn over a ****, most usually children's wear.]

I thought, that's odd, seems a little juville for Bridget, but she was complaining about having to wear it, so I thought, OK then.

Then I read about how Mark Darcy came into the party wearing the same jumper his parents had given him. I then thought, what?! He's wearing a dress?!? That can't be right, lol.

Jumper in British (so I then learned) = sweater. Two languages that sound so alike can often be so different. :D

Opinions needed.

What's the difference between a polo and a t-shirt?

Will I "be allowed" to wear a t-shirt under a sports jacket on non-formal nights, so long as I lave my jacket on (which of course I always would).

And is a long-sleeved t-shirt still a t-shirt?

I'm less asking about the codes, more-so what I will get away with and what might offend.

I'm English, btw, and jacket, t-shirt and jeans would be acceptable anywhere.

Thanks

It is amazing what some people get away with. You don't have to wear a jacket on non formal nights, but it is sometimes cool in the dinning room.

You would get away with a nice t shirt probably, but they prefer a collar t shirt. My husband likes to wear short sleeve kinda like hawaiian shirts or long sleeve dress / casual shirts. They don't want jeans, but if they were nice dark jeans you would get away with it. My husband wears casual cotton pants.

It is amazing what some people get away with. You don't have to wear a jacket on non formal nights, but it is sometimes cool in the dinning room.

You would get away with a nice t shirt probably, but they prefer a collar t shirt. My husband likes to wear short sleeve kinda like hawaiian shirts or long sleeve dress / casual shirts. They don't want jeans, but if they were nice dark jeans you would get away with it. My husband wears casual cotton pants.

Greetings

Jeans are not against the current dress rules for smart casual. That restriction was removed long ago. They do not have to be dark, just not torn or dirty.

Good Sailing

Tom

It's a funny old world but all appreciated.

Actually I was bring ironic about the difference between a t shirt and polo shirt. Polo is a brand so stranger still.

Language eh?

So I shall wear my light jeans, a nice t shirt and branded blazer. And still look smarter than someone in a battered old suit, tie and short sleeved shirt ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's a funny old world but all appreciated.

Actually I was bring ironic about the difference between a t shirt and polo shirt. Polo is a brand so stranger still.

Language eh?

So I shall wear my light jeans, a nice t shirt and branded blazer. And still look smarter than someone in a battered old suit, tie and short sleeved shirt ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

YUP! Enjoy.;)

I love the look you describe. It can be a very dressed look. It took me 20 yr to get my DH to realise that it was a smart casual look that could be worn almost anywhere. So UK ;). Takes me back to my youth.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

I can't see any reason why a collared jacket and t-shirt would be a problem unless it's

a) a deep-v t-shirt which shows off a massive amount of chest hair

b) a pastel coloured t-shirt under a loose linen jacket with sleeves hitched up over the elbows

If only the dress code were more specific we might avoid such crimes against society.

While on our latest cruise, on the Solstice, we saw the matre'd sent a gentleman back to his room for wearing shorts to dinner on smart dress night. While they allowed a man sitting at the table with a dress shirt unbuttoned down 3 buttons showing chest hair to stay. I would have complained if he had been at my table.

What I say is follow the guidelines for everyones benefit.

Edited by pattyj 1204

Youth? I'm 88 ;)

Ha Ha Ha Nick, And I didn't say how long ago my youth was!

See you are a Mancunian too. The t-shirt jeans and suit jacket look that I think of takes me back to the 60's nightclubbing in central Manchester.

Still love the look today, iconic British style.

Cheers, h.

Dressy T's are theoretically against the dress code but common sense would seem they are OK and I've seen these worn on board. There is a world of difference between a collarless shirt made of a dressy material and a cheap cotton T-shirt with a semi-obscene logo on it. One clearly works and one clearly doesn't, but it is hard to draw the line between the two in print without going into too much detail.

If Celebrity were to fine tune the dress code by adding fine print to provide for every such variation it would be multiple pages long and still might not cover everything. I used to wear one made of a high end silk material with a sports jacket a few years back when they were more popular and never had a problem. That was in the days Celebrity had a semi-formal dress code on some nights which required a jacket.

Edited by Lsimon

• 4 weeks later...