Attention Flowboarders!

liberiben

You have a similar profile as me. I'm a bit younger than you (late 40s), same weight, and love to carve (plus I drive a MINI too). I was lucky as I went to the Flowrider in Albuquerque and they had an old Carve board that someone didn't want anymore as the foam was pretty beat up. The staff asked me if I wanted to try it out, and I immediately noticed the difference. Then about an hour later the guy who runs the place came in to ride and saw me using that old board and said they had a brand-new 41" Carve they were selling, and he sold it to me for less than what the WaveLoch site sells them for. I ended up with the board and a bag for about what WaveLoch sells just the board for on the web. My board has the channels which some people say don't make a difference, but the original Carve I used didn't have them and the one I bought does, and I felt there was a difference.

As for the boards on the ship, most of the boards I have seen are the Outlaws. You may see some other ones mixed in, but most likely you have been on an Outlaw.

How does the carve work for some basic tricks like 360's. Also what would the channels really be good for? That's great that you got such a great deal too.

One would think that any "pro" with their own board would be up for the challenge of using the "inferior" board provided by the cruise line.

Hey, if your out to impress us, do it by using the board we all use.

If you get to use your own board, then I'm going to bring mine with sandpaper on the bottom so that I don't slide around so much and fall down.:)

One would think that any "pro" with their own board would be up for the challenge of using the "inferior" board provided by the cruise line.

Hey, if your out to impress us, do it by using the board we all use.

If you get to use your own board, then I'm going to bring mine with sandpaper on the bottom so that I don't slide around so much and fall down.:)

I own a set of golf clubs too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make the cut at Augusta. :rolleyes:

There's nothing inferior about the ships' boards, they just are longer and flatter and optimized for beginners. Because they are fiberglass and designed for very heavy use, they cost alot more than my wooden "pro" board.

How does the carve work for some basic tricks like 360's. Also what would the channels really be good for? That's great that you got such a great deal too.

The Carve has more of a curve to it than the Outlaw boards on the ship. I have always had a mental block about 360's but I'm getting much better at them now. The channels are claimed to hold the water better on turns, but I can't say if it's a mental thing or not.

Edited by mil76

This is a bit dated, but they did Best of the Best on Oasis when we were on Halloween week. Unlike all of my previous cruises, they did the Flow Show one of the nights instead of immediately after Best of the Best. They also did an "Adults Only" session one night, when I had only seen Teen Sessions held at night on other cruises. A couple of the really good teenagers showed up at the Adult Session and they turned them away.

I was always wondering why they would offer a Teen session and not an Adult Only session. I would love to see that offered on other ships with a flowrider.

Your comments just indicate that you don't understand the sport. It's a lot like golf, would you suggest that everyone just leave their clubs at home and use any clubs that happen to be at the course. I doubt it. Using any clubs that you find at the course probably would have a significant effect on the score, but the golfers would not have as much fun. And yes, Adam, or his representatives, need to respond because it does affect a lot of cruisers that only cruise for the Flowrider.

I agree 100%. I would cruise with or without the Flowrider, but the Flowrider is one of the main reasons I choose an RCCL cruise over other lines even though they may cost twice as much.

Hey Lou, this is John from Oasis last Halloween. As you can see I went for the Carve too. Taking it on the Navigator at the end of March. We're also booked for Allure this Halloween. I think Walter is doing B2B then too.

Let us know how the flowrider on Navigator is. I wonder if its the same size as the others or a little smaller. I would think it would be a little smaller but who knows. Enjoy your cruise.

Let us know how the flowrider on Navigator is. I wonder if its the same size as the others or a little smaller. I would think it would be a little smaller but who knows. Enjoy your cruise.

If no one else chimes in before I get back, I'll definitely do a quick review. I'm curious to see if it's wide enough to put the divider so they can do two boogie boarders at a time. I'd be surprised if they did a double and didn't make it wide enough to do that.

Reading through the list of tricks now allowed I came across several that I have no idea what they are. Does anyone happen to know what these involve? The baseball catcher and skiing? Also does anyone know if board transfers are legal now and the 180 shove the board out and land back on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Russ, I was wondering if you were able to use your own board on the Independence earlier this month? I am going end of next month and don't want to drag my board if I can't use it.

@Mse86 yes, thanks for the question to Russ! I'm also wondering. Particularly his Ash boards as we are thinking of adding one to our collection.

I'm pretty sure the Ash boards won't be allowed regardless. On Oasis they came and checked the boards for the WaveLoch logo.

If they can get the oil cleaned up by Sunday, I'll be able to confirm if they let you bring your own boards on Navigator.

Russ, I was wondering if you were able to use your own board on the Independence earlier this month? I am going end of next month and don't want to drag my board if I can't use it.

Russ has emailed me since he has returned and he was able to se his board. If he sees this I am sure he will chime in.

I'm pretty sure the Ash boards won't be allowed regardless. On Oasis they came and checked the boards for the WaveLoch logo.

If they can get the oil cleaned up by Sunday, I'll be able to confirm if they let you bring your own boards on Navigator.

My brother in law just got back from an Oasis cruise and he was allowed to use his Ash boards. So I think I should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We were on the Independence March 15th and because the Waveloch stickers has been sanded off the bottom of my board, they almost did not let me use it even though I had emailed Mr. Goldstein and his office called me to say "yes, please bring your board and enjoy your cruise". After a call to corporate before we set sail and a meeting with the sports staff director and assistant cruise director, it was all worked out. However, I have heard from others on other ships that they were not allowed to use anything but Waveloch (even though it is no longer Waveloch) and some who said they could use Ash or Mak boards.

Again, depends on the staff.

I DID, however, win the best of the best on our cruise :D

• 2 weeks later...

MIL76...if I could impose upon you to answer a question...

I very much appreciated your info that Hotel Cascada had a flowrider. We too are from Denver and are planning to check it out. Could you confirm that their Flowrider is, in fact, a double? I spoke with a couple of their representatives and they insist it's a single. My son and I would like to head down to work on Flowboarding and are hesitant to do it if it's only a single...but if it's a double, we're definitely interested.

Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated!

ATCMickey

Interesting to me that people are bringing their own boards. Even more interesting that people that own their own boards are nowhere near the ocean!:D

Being near the ocean here, we have our own boards, but wow, what a pain to lug... and we drive to the port!

Interesting to me that people are bringing their own boards. Even more interesting that people that own their own boards are nowhere near the ocean!:D

Being near the ocean here, we have our own boards, but wow, what a pain to lug... and we drive to the port!

I have a 38" Shuvit and Frank has a 42 Shuvit and we have a bag from Waveloch to carry them in. They do not take up a lot of room and are quite easy to carry. Also, the reasoning behind bringing my own board is I do not like the Outlaws, they are big cumbersome and not what I learned on. Tis merely a personal preference to ride MY board on my vacation :D

Some folks prefer Ash boards over Waveloch. It is all in what you get used to and what you like so why wouldn't you bring your board of preference? :p

Some riders also wax their boards for better foot hold and allows them to do better tricks.

My question is whether they will allow you to bring a Body Board other then a Waveloch Board. I work with Carbon one of the up and coming BB companies on the Flow Tour and my sons would love to take them on Oasis in August! H

How can you get in touch with the Sports Staff before hand?

Some riders also wax their boards for better foot hold and allows them to do better tricks.

My question is whether they will allow you to bring a Body Board other then a Waveloch Board. I work with Carbon one of the up and coming BB companies on the Flow Tour and my sons would love to take them on Oasis in August! H

How can you get in touch with the Sports Staff before hand?

I don't think I have ever seen anyone bring their own bodyboard.

MIL76...if I could impose upon you to answer a question...

I very much appreciated your info that Hotel Cascada had a flowrider. We too are from Denver and are planning to check it out. Could you confirm that their Flowrider is, in fact, a double? I spoke with a couple of their representatives and they insist it's a single. My son and I would like to head down to work on Flowboarding and are hesitant to do it if it's only a single...but if it's a double, we're definitely interested.

Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated!

ATCMickey

Just spent Memorial Day weekend at Cascada, and their Flowrider definitely is a double. As you are already finding out, the staff at Cascada is pretty clueless.

Mil76,

You're the best! Thanks so much for the clarification and the heads up on Cascada...now if there was just some hotel in CO willing to pony-up for a Flowrider, I'd be happy to keep them in business :-)

ATCMickey

Just spent Memorial Day weekend at Cascada, and their Flowrider definitely is a double. As you are already finding out, the staff at Cascada is pretty clueless.

If no one else chimes in before I get back, I'll definitely do a quick review. I'm curious to see if it's wide enough to put the divider so they can do two boogie boarders at a time. I'd be surprised if they did a double and didn't make it wide enough to do that.

I can confirm that the Flowrider on Navigator is a double and they do use an inflatable divider to let two people boogie board at once.