One more booking change question

Sorry about all the questions I've asked the past few days. I am changing a booking I currently have. I have only traveled as a solo. I have a friend who might be able to join me on my Alaska cruise in June 2015. He is not sure what his summer school schedule will be yet.

Can/ should I add him to the booking now or wait until I know for sure if he can come? I remember reading that a few reports where people wanted to add someone into their cabins but were not allowed to later when it was closer to their sail date.

Sorry about all the questions I've asked the past few days. I am changing a booking I currently have. I have only traveled as a solo. I have a friend who might be able to join me on my Alaska cruise in June 2015. He is not sure what his summer school schedule will be yet.

Can/ should I add him to the booking now or wait until I know for sure if he can come? I remember reading that a few reports where people wanted to add someone into their cabins but were not allowed to later when it was closer to their sail date.

I would add your friend now in order to freeze the price and ensure space. You can cancel up to final payment date for a full refund.

I would add your friend now in order to freeze the price and ensure space. You can cancel up to final payment date for a full refund.

Just be aware that when you add him, you will also have to pay an additional deposit.

Yes, it is refundable up to final payment date, but you will have to "front it" now.

:)

You might be better advised to ask a travel agent that question. Also the answer may be different with different cruise lines.

My sister in law cruised single on our last cruise. For a while it looked like my other sister in law would come along, but wasn't sure. The advice from our TA was to book one person as a single, holding the cabin with only one deposit, and add the second passenger in later. I wish I could remember the all of the rationale for this, but sorry I don't. Just that adding in later would likely be cheaper than canceling one, and having the remaining person suddenly have to be considered a single (At the later date's probably higher price). Also, the second passenger could be added in later with no penalty, than they could be removed, giving more time to make that decision.

Just FWIW, that was a Carnival cruise, that might make it a different story.

Edited by Gayle V

You might be better advised to ask a travel agent that question. Also the answer may be different with different cruise lines.

My sister in law cruised single on our last cruise. For a while it looked like my other sister in law would come along, but wasn't sure. The advice from our TA was to book one person as a single, holding the cabin with only one deposit, and add the second passenger in later. I wish I could remember the all of the rationale for this, but sorry I don't. Just that adding in later would likely be cheaper than canceling one, and having the remaining person suddenly have to be considered a single (At the later date's probably higher price). Also, the second passenger could be added in later with no penalty, than they could be removed, giving more time to make that decision.

Just FWIW, that was a Carnival cruise, that might make it a different story.

I usually travel as a solo traveler. So I've always had pay almost double every time I've sailed. So if my friend can't come, I'm prepared to pay for the whole cost myself.

Part of your question comes down to "do you feel lucky".. IF the search feature ever comes back you can search for price drops. Many posts on this board where people book a cruise a year out. Pick their room, all set and they paid $2,000 for the room. Remember, with 2 people it is a room cost, not really a per person price. After final payment the same category of room goes on sale for $1,000 for the room.

If you feel lucky, wait to add the person later and maybe yourself as well. See if you can snag a lower price. This works best if you are happy with most rooms on the ship.

If you think the price now is a "deal" and will not feel bad if the prices come down, then book now. Sometimes, the price goes up and you will be happy you booked early.

The one part of the pricing "game" is many sales are for new bookings only and you cannot take advantage of the deal.

Very seldom can you NOT add a person unless you are very close to sailing. Each ship has a max passenger number. Very unlikey they would be approaching this number 4 months out. For Alaska there are so many ships doing that area I doubt they can fill every berth without giving away some rooms.