Extra tips

jjmsbu09

I probably should have added this to one of the tipping threads out there but not sure if it would be answered. I prepay my tips when we book it's just one less thing on the sail and sign account.

What I'm curious about is tipping extra to our steward and/or wait staff. If either of them are "exceptional" or go out of the way for us (which they always seem to :) ) how much extra should I give them? Is an extra $10 or $20 sufficient or does that seem cheap? For instance the day we embark is our first wedding anniversary so I purchased the Happy Anniversary cabin decorations so this will take some extra time on our stewards part...

Thank you everyone! And this is an extra tip not in lieu of auto tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We prepay the auto tips as well. The last cruise we went on (also our first), we tipped our room steward $20 & the assistant $20. I hate to say it, but I honestly didn't think they deserved that much because we weren't very needy & they seemed to cater to the couples with children. They were good & did their job for us, just not outstanding. That was for a 5 night cruise. This time, we will take cash & be prepared to tip extra, but I won't feel guilty if we decide not to. If you are very needy or they really go above & beyond, I think $20 is plenty because remember they still get the auto tips (which doesn't seem like a lot until you consider how many people they are getting auto tips from, plus their pay). If every person gives them an extra $20 for the week, they come out pretty good.

Despite what will be said around these boards, most people don't give them anything extra. If you even give just $5 extra, they will feel very blessed. If you go for the $20, they might faint. They will totally love you. Some people like to give $40, $80, $100 extra to each person. Some do it, knowing that it's excessive, but figuring that they're making up for guests that don't tip extra or even remove the auto-tips. Some of them think that every guest gives that amount as extra.

We usually tip our Cabin Steward an extra $20 at the end of our 7-day cruise. We do the same for our MDR waiter, and $10 to his assistants. We have never, ever, had bad service so I wouldn't know about not tipping them extra.

Of course, this isn't expected or necessary. Do as you see fit.

Hope you have an awesome cruise!:)

Edited by mousey

We almost always tip the room steward an extra $20 on a 5 day cruise. (We had one "ok" steward that I don't think we left extra for.) Using anytime dining it's more difficult to give extra to the waitstaff at the end. On our last cruise, our teens all chipped in about $5 each to give to our steward Izzy as they were in a separate cabin. I think it's important to recognize the people who go above and beyond the norm for you with above the norm tipping - even if the amount isn't huge. I'm sure they appreciate it!

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

When it comes to shore excursions, do you also tip your guides?

I normally tip $10/person if the tour guide is entertaining and engaged. (So $30 for my family). If the tour stops for an "unscheduled shopping opportunity" I usually don't tip as they are likely getting a kick-back and it annoys me that they are wasting my shore excursion time. (It is a pet peeve of mine).

The exception may be if the tour is very low cost, like $10-$20. Likely on those tours, only the company gets the money and the guide is expected to earn tips. These types of arrangements are common in Europe.

If we feel someone has gone "above and beyond" or if we feel someone has impacted our experience in a positive way we will absolutely give them something a little extra. During our last cruise on the Sensation or waiter in the MDR was an absolute joy. So much so that even though we had ATD we asked fro him and his section each night. On the last night we gave him a nice handshake with an additional tip included and he was overjoyed!

We also tip our rooom steward and MDR waiters extra as they always have gone above and beyond. The last cruise I got a great idea from these boards and have started leaving our cabin steward "American" chocolates when we leave for the evening. Such a small gesture, but so appreciated as they dont often get Hershey's or Reese's PB Cups etc...she absolutely LOVED it!!!

I probably should have added this to one of the tipping threads out there but not sure if it would be answered. I prepay my tips when we book it's just one less thing on the sail and sign account.

What I'm curious about is tipping extra to our steward and/or wait staff. If either of them are "exceptional" or go out of the way for us (which they always seem to :) ) how much extra should I give them? Is an extra $10 or $20 sufficient or does that seem cheap? For instance the day we embark is our first wedding anniversary so I purchased the Happy Anniversary cabin decorations so this will take some extra time on our stewards part...

Thank you everyone! And this is an extra tip not in lieu of auto tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The idea of pre-tipping is to get tipping out of the way. Not necessary to add anything. Your tips are covered.

We normally write a thank you note to the cabin steward and then enclosed an extra tip. I am extremely grateful to have someone make my bed every day and clean the bathroom. That's just me. This last cruise we were so disappointed with the cabin steward. There were a few times the garbage can was not emptied. He appeared to be bothered when we stopped to talk to him. Just got an uneasy feeling around him. On the other hand our wait staff in the MDR was outstanding. We wrote a nice thank you to them, put the tip in the envelope and gave them the card on the last night of the cruise.

We have not cruised in a few years so I am not sure if I am remembering right... I remember envelopes but not sure who they were for? We have prepaid gratuities but will be giving extra to MDR staff and cabin attendant anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do the people who are given extra tips get to keep them or do they have to add their tips to a pool?

they can keep them. Its my understanding that carnival doesn't pool them, even if the base was taken off.and definitely if the base is left on.

Do the people who are given extra tips get to keep them or do they have to add their tips to a pool?

We tipped our MDR waiter $75 and as we walked off he immediately shared it with his assistant. He was very excited about ours. Btw our table was a group of 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi There .. we prepay the autotips and then we tip and extra $50 a person for each wait staff and also for our cabin person ... although not necessary we usually end up tipping the bar staff at our main bar as we have a tendancy to stick to one bar and get to know that staff and they have always given us great service and a great smile and company to boot :-) .... we try and keep to an extra $300 in tips beyond the pre autotips but then we have never had bad service ! .... Each person is different and so go with your gut feeling ....

Do any of you ever tip your room steward on the day you sail rather than waiting until the end of the cruise?

Yes, many experienced travelers and cruisers do a tip at first meeting. This practice signals to service industry personnel that the traveler will be making extra requests or might be high maintenance (or a spouse). It pretty much changes any requests into an "yes".

Might want to take your own little envelopes. We just got off the Victory last Saturday. We were in a suite and there were no envelopes in the room for the tip, so hubby just gave them the bills in a handshake. We tipped our main steward but not his assistant b/c he seemed useless. We tipped the head waiter b/c he was very knowledgeable about the food choices and could explain terms we didn't know, but left nothing for his assistant who tried to fudge his way thru explaining dishes rather than saying "I don't know, let me check.":confused: