My DD is cruising with some friends, what will she need?

mwood0612

My 13yo DD is going on a cruise with some of our friends and their DD. I know that she will need Birth Certificate or passport and photo id but should we also send a notorized letter stating she has our permission to be with them? Thanks in advance!:)

My 13yo DD is going on a cruise with some of our friends and their DD. I know that she will need Birth Certificate or passport and photo id but should we also send a notorized letter stating she has our permission to be with them? Thanks in advance!:)

Yes.....you will need a notarized letter stating they have permission to take your child out of the country and also giving them permission to make any medical decisions for her while away.

Be sure to put specifics as far as dates/ship and also be sure that both you and your husband sign it.

I would also include her health insurance info on the form where you talk about medical decisions, and send her insurance card with her too.

I'm just going to point out, that most US health insurance plans to not cover "out of country". And, once you board the ship, you are out of country. Medical costs during cruises must be paid up front (onboard it is charge to the onboard account).

That's one reason to purchase travel insurance (for health/medical/evacuation coverage).

I'm just going to point out, that most US health insurance plans to not cover "out of country". And, once you board the ship, you are out of country. Medical costs during cruises must be paid up front (onboard it is charge to the onboard account).

That's one reason to purchase travel insurance (for health/medical/evacuation coverage).

True, but I would also send the insurance card in case something happens before or after the cruise.

If she does not have a passport, birth certificate must be certified, not the one you received from the hospital when she was born.

I would go ahead and get her a passport. It just makes life easier in-case something happens and she needs to come home.

Make sure that you buy insurance that includes medical care and medical evacuation.

You will need a notarized authorization for her to cruise. I would check with Carnival to make sure you use the right form. I would also give the parents taking medical treatment authorization. I copy of her insurance card (front and back) should be fine.

That is NOT true, MOST insurance companies DO cover medical coverage OUTSIDE of the United States. It is smart to contact your insurance company to let them know when you travel outside the United States and where you will be visiting since many have world wide networks! Many, in fact will bill your insurance company directly as well!!

Questions for YOUR insurance holder can be easily answered with a phone call to them before she leaves.

Thanks all for the info!! Don't know if we are ready to do a passport right now as this trip is kind of last minute but she does have a certified birth certificate with a raised seal as she has been on several cruises already!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk