What's good on the Menu?

Unfortunately discontinued (along with Vidalia Onion Tart) with the new menu.

Doing a cruise this month and was really looking forward to the onion tart. One of my favorites!!! Every time we cruise, I get that as an appetizer at every meal. After day 2, the appetizer was on my plate without even asking :-). Man I'm going to miss that onion tart!!!!!

Doing a cruise this month and was really looking forward to the onion tart. One of my favorites!!! Every time we cruise, I get that as an appetizer at every meal. After day 2, the appetizer was on my plate without even asking :-). Man I'm going to miss that onion tart!!!!!

I miss it too. It was something to look forward to at dinner the first night.

just off the Granduer on the 18th of feb (for a 10 nighter)

I'm a picky eaters so here goes.

I had every cold soup there was. (the best was watermelon)

Shrimp cocktail everynight.

the Sliders are amazing the sauce is great

tandorri chicken salad(to die for a little spicy)

5 cheese tortinilli (never had before now I'm looking for it at home)

had 2 chop house steaks in the MDR before I talked my uncle into Chops if/when you go the jalp. cheese spread is amazing along with the mud pie and crème brulee.

I could go on but getting hungry. :p

the food was completely amazing however the desserts were tasteless IMO. I guess we like bammm there it is in your face flavors

Appetizer - Beef Carpaccio - it actually melts in your mouth; delicious!

Entree - Beef Duo - if I remember right, it's a piece of beef "shoulder" and some short ribs, boneless, I think. Very tasty, very tender. The beef tenderloin offered on the first formal night is quite good.

For someone who doesn't eat beef that often, I'm noticing a pattern here!;)

The best item I have found on the menu is one that I never eat at home or rarely order. I try to order the exotic items within reason.

If you order the same things you do back home your expectations will be so high and you may not like it.

For instance I love ordering those fruit soups they have which I never have at home. I also love the Tutti Salad Bar on Sea Days. The Barramunidi Fish is so delicious.

I also enjoy the lamb dishes, as well. In the Windjammer I have enjoyed the Indian lamb Curry over Rice, Goulash, Tangine and the steamed vegetables.

The Bircher Muesli is soo delicious that I sometimes go back for seconds.

I'm not fond of the Potato Tater Tots they serve but do enjoy adding Lox, Cream Cheese and Eggs to a Bagel with Capers.

If you mix and match you can really enjoy yourselves. For instance the Toastada Salad with the Moroccan Pita goes really well for lunch in the MDR.

I love the International Cheese Platter and will get that for dessert if I can't find something that I like(which is very rare).

And you can't go wrong with the Ice Cream they serve in the Main Dining Room.

Lots of good food. It just helps to order things you may never order at home so your expectations won't be high. I've had some of the most delicious roast beef. I just ask for a side of Horse Radish to add to my potato and its divine.

Small crusty rolls covered with poppy seeds. Love 'em!

I use them to dip in the butter from the escargot. YUMMY...

Prime rib first night and lamb shank later in the week are my favorites. We've never gone hungry.

Just came back and have a few new favorites

Arancini for an appetizer is amazing, as well as t he Escargots

Rosemary Lamb Shank and Artichoke Crepes were my fav entrees

Espresso Souffle and Lemon Meringue Pie are my favorite desserts

Enjoy!

Escargot was scarce for a while (world wide shortage). On my Explorer cruise last July, My DW and I had escargot in the MDR every night. They were actually pushing it! Must have had a surplus. Great with those crusty dinner rolls! Also, no one mentioned the veal osso buco. Is that still available?. It's one of my favorties. :D

HAPPY CRUISING

Unfortunately discontinued (along with Vidalia Onion Tart) with the new menu.

On the MDR lunch menu they have a tomato scallop risotto. Its pretty good though the scallops are fairly small.

I find most of the beef, lamb, pork or duck dishes are good. I stay away from turkey, fish or chicken. Just my preference. The prime rib is my favorite.

I love the chocolate sensation, it's on the menu every night.

And also the shrimp cocktail.

What is the chocolate sensation? Cake? Pudding? Other?

HAHA HEY YOU BOSTONIAN -do I have to go on a cruise to hear that they serve rolls w/poppy seeds? LOL :p JUST PLAYING. Let's meet at Au Bon Pain and save several grand...........(ahem, excuse me, refer to my previous post (s) re wine):DI think it's time for bed..............

Ay Bon Pain is leaps and bounds better than savory bites, which are good but nothing special, but cruise beats no cruise any day of the week!

For me the best thing was the Tutti Salad Bar for lunch in the MDR on sea days. Beautiful fresh salad loaded with prawns, smoked chicken and camembert.

My next cruise has 4 sea days and I couldn't be happier!

Everything people say about this salad is true! It is amazing! I don't even understand how it can be so good. Your particular choices sound good too.

the food was completely amazing however the desserts were tasteless IMO. I guess we like bammm there it is in your face flavors

i agree that the food is better than the desserts. Too many desserts were "whipped", which incorporates air and makes a cheap dessert, but not necessarily a tasty dessert.

However, that makes it easy to take just a bite or two . . . And that's not the worst thing that could happen to me.

That doesn't sound appealing at all -- and I love garlic. What's it like? Thin soup with veggies? Thick cream soup? I'm curious!

It was awesome with those tiny bits. Here is the recipe someone posted a while back to give you an idea what all is in it. I am a huge garlic fan and cook with it a bunch:

Yields 8 servings

Ingredients

1/2 lbs garlic cloves, roasted

2 T olive oil

1 sprig thyme

2 1/4 T butter, unsalted

2 T dry white wine

2 T sherry

1/2 LB onions, finely chopped

1/3 cup all purpose flour

2 quarts vegetable stock or water (I used homemade chicken stock which worked really well)

1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

2 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 loaf rye bread, cut into cubes

2T olive oil

To roast the garlic, spread cloves out on a sheet tray and toss with 2 T olive oil and 1 sprig of thyme. Roast at 375 for 20 minutes.

In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the roasted garlic and onion and sweat (low heat) for 10 minutes).

Add the white wine, bay leaf and the other two sprigs of thyme. Stir well and reduce by half.

Add the flour and mix in well, stirring until it is smooth.

Slowly, add the stock or water, whisking constantly. When smooth, add the potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and thyme springs. Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and season with salt and pepper.

For the rye croutons, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and add the croutons, tossing continually until they are browned and crisp.

Garnish the soup with parsley and croutons.

Edited by AeroBaldness

This is a very helpful thread. I am t

cruising this summer. My husband and I - picky eaters and all my kiddos. I vowed for all of us to try some things outside our comfort zone and this list is helpful so I know the recommended dishes. Thanks all!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I have a bunch of food pics from the new menu that may answer many of your questions. If the search feature ever gets fixed on here, my post is titled "new menu food pics, here they are." Or, access it through my signature, or go to photobucket dot com and search "cruiserlori." I don't have a fancy camera, so they aren't the clearest pics, but it's still fun to look!