Doges Secret Itinerary Tour

cleobella

I was wondering what is the best way to get tickets for the Doges Palace Secret Itinerary tour? Is it best to buy in advance or is it generally fine to get tickets at the door. Also, if anyone has done this tour could you tell me if you enjoyed it and if it is worth the cost-I have heard it is about 20 euros pp!

I agree ... very worthwhile tour. We enjoyed it for the 2nd time in October. Make sure that you purchase your tickets in advance. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to purchase your tickets at the door. They are usually sold out in advance.

If you are in Venice in the summer months, you might want to skip the Secret Itineraries tour because it takes place in the attic of the Doges' Palace and though there are fans placed here & there, and water coolers in a few locations, it will be very hot.

If you do go during that time span, I'd book the earliest time slot possible. We took an 11am tour at the end of June and were wiped by the heat!

Edited by TMLAalum

We booked our tickets online in advance and really enjoyed the tour - you get to see things that the ordinary visitor is not privy to and the group is small enough that you don't feel like you are part of a crowd. After you are done with the tour you are free to explore the rest of the Palace - as a side note if you wanted to tour only the Doge's Palace (taking out the Secret Itinerary portion) it would cost you 16€ for just that (granted you would also get access to the Museo Correr, Museo Archeologico ****onale and Monumental Rooms of the Biblioteca ****onale Marciana).

We booked our tickets online which proved to be a blessing as we were a couple minutes late (3 or 4) and they waited for us to start the tour. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and even our kids ages 5, 7 and 10 liked it. I know the minimum age is 6 but our daughter was almost 6 and my kids have been taken to many museums, etc. in Europe so we knew she could handle it. Their favorite part was probably at the end of the tour when we gave them the cameras to take pictures of us in the courtyard though. :)

The Behind the Scenes Doges Palace tours are limited in numbers and there are only a few scheduled each day .

Don't just bowl up or you will not get in, as these tours are booked out days to weeks in advance .

So book on line . Agree quite claustrophic in places and very hot and breathless in warmer weather .

But very interesting, the Doges were hard task masters if you crossed them or broke the law .

I'm going to go against the grain and say I didn't care for it and would not do it if I had the option. I'd rather be outside enjoying glorious Venice than cooped up in the attics. I'm not claustrophobic at all, I just didn't think it was that great. But I am frequently the contrarian.:rolleyes: