Would I be crazy to book the Getaway in mid-August (hurricane season)?

garnet115

That is not true. When a hurricane approaches, there is lots of preparation for the house. Shutters need put up, fill the gas tanks for the cars and generator, food preparation, bringing in plants, furniture, etc, touching base with insurance company, pool preparation, and a long list of other things to do. Its a full time job. A hurricane is not like a tornado. Unlike a tornado, in a hurricane the strongest house will survive or sustain less damage to those who "do nothing" as you suggest.

This must be done at least 48 hours before the storm hits and cant be done if you are off on a cruise somewhere.

I live in Florida and agree with David. I would not book a cruise during the peak of hurricane season ... in my mind that would be August to Mid-October. We live in Punta Gorda and took a direct hit from Hurricane Charlie in 2004 and we know what to do to secure our home beforehand and we would not want to be at sea if a hurricane were to hit us again.

I also wouldn't want the stress of dealing with the weather forecasters who change their "cone of probability" daily in the week leading up to the hurricane.

Thanks all. I have my TA pricing cancel for any reason travel protection for me, although she says I would only get back 80% of the cost if I used it. But I think I would feel better knowing that if forecasts get bad a week before, I can cancel and not be too much $$ out of pocket.

I don't care about port changes - in fact for the itinerary I am looking at I would welcome it! I don't care much for the Easter Caribbean itinerary since I've been there before, but the overall price/perks that I can get on this particular sailing just seem too good to pass up. I would just enjoy being on the ship.

In 2011 I was coming home from an Alaska cruise when Irene hit NY. Our flights were substantially delayed (although in retrospect, the extra 24 hours it took me to get home is nothing compared to what could have been), and I wound up using an extra vacation day to cover the time out of office. It was exhausting, but I certainly don't regret taking that trip, which was fantastic. I guess this is me talking myself into it - I went to Alaska, for which hurricane season was never a consideration, and my trip was still impacted.

Unless one of the ports of call is a positive definite absolutely have to stop there

- Why worry about a little storm in life !

I am sure that any cruise line has a contingency plan for alternate ports or

just sailing in a big circle around a storm.

You would not get a refund unless the cruise is cancelled - you may however

receive partial or full credit for a future cruise at a discounted fare.

Shore Excursions already paid for will of course be refunded.

So just "GO" and enjoy the cruise - the adventure of having something different happen

may have you reminiscing for years - and you were there to live it !

I know David mentioned that the airports close early before a storm but so do the cruise ports. At that time the ships will leave (early) with whoever is on board (or not).

I'm not trying to discourage you at all but you have to know why the fares are so much lower during hurricane season.

Also, the same people who are telling you to go and don't worry are the same ones who will be saying what do you expect, you booked a cruise during hurricane season. :p

I know David mentioned that the airports close early before a storm but so do the cruise ports. At that time the ships will leave (early) with whoever is on board (or not).

I'm not trying to discourage you at all but you have to know why the fares are so much lower during hurricane season.

Also, the same people who are telling you to go and don't worry are the same ones who will be saying what do you expect, you booked a cruise during hurricane season. :p

Thanks, I understand the risks - I'm just trying to fully evaluate them. I would plan to fly in the day before the scheduled departure, so hopefully that would cover early departure.

I don't see any ships leaving early without the passengers. That would violate the contract. Cruise ships can come late because the port is closed (that happened 2 years ago) and the cruise can leave late but never early. The late arriving ship by one day shortened the next cruise by a day. The travel plans for the returning cruise were wrecked and the people sailing were upset their cruise was shortened. Remember that ships come into port and leave several hours later. They don't stay over night.

These things are rare but they do happen.

I was on the jewel in October the year hurricane sandy devastated many areas. We left from NY and were going on the Florida and Bahamas cruise. Let me say this was my first cruise and am about to go on my third with ncl. Our itinerary got changed a few times, but the captain and crew kept everyone safe and kept everyone updated on the situation. I still had a great time with my husband. It was rough and rocky a few nights but it's all about your attitude. We got back the day before the storm hit the ny/nj area and was glad to be home with my family. You can not predict the weather so go and have a good time especially if the deal is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

last year cruise ships left Puerto Rico early leaving passengers stranded there.

Fortunately San Juan (SJU) has a large airport with frequent flights to almost

anywhere the cruise ships ploy (maybe not in the eye of the storm).

But if a cruise line values its cruise reputation it would not leave passengers

stranded and arrange for a meeting at some point enroute or grant refunds

or adjustments - be it vouchers for a future trip. Weather and Acts of God

not withstanding passengers should be "heads up" on what is happening and

be prepared for alternate arrangements. Keep an open line of communication

with the cruise line for updates !

I am so close to pulling the trigger and booking a mid-august cruise on Getaway. With the Freesome deal, the incredible suite prices, and the OBC my TA would give me, it is almost too good to pass up. Not thrilled about flying (would prefer to do Breakaway to Bermuda, but it is far more expensive), and my only other hesitation is hurricane season. It makes me nervous.

What are others' thoughts/past experiences?

Of course we all have to realize certain seasons are not the best for travel, but remember also, there is a 95% or better chance there will not be a hurricane at any given time. This is like wondering about taking a vacation to the Midwest in April to early June because of tornado season. Life is a gamble. We have cruised in August, and yes, we almost hit a hurricane. The day after we got off our ship in Miami, Andrew hit land. We also took another one in August and had wonderful weather. We have booked winter cruises and worried about even getting to the post because of snow storms.

With two exceptions, we have sailed in late August every year since 2002. Although most cruises were uneventful, we were impacted by hurricanes three times:

On our August 2010 Epic cruise, our itinerary was shifted from Eastern to Western due to Hurricane Earl. Weather was great thanks to the itinerary change.

In August 2011, we were unable to fly home immediately after our Oasis of the Seas cruise because Hurricane Irene was hitting our state. We had to spend four extra days in Florida but were reimbursed for hotel, rental car and meals by our travel insurer. However, because we weren't in our home when the power went out, our sump pump failed and our basement flooded :(

During our August 2012 Oasis of the Seas cruise, our itinerary was reversed due to Hurricane Isaac but we made it to all of our ports. We had some of the best weather ever on this cruise!

I wouldn't avoid cruising in August if it's a good time for you, but would recommend that you buy travel insurance and fly on a major airline so if one of your flights is canceled you'll have more chances to rebook. We were on JetBlue in 2011 and weren't offered a flight home from Ft. Lauderdale until seven days after our canceled flight. Only by driving to Orlando were we able to get back home in four days.