what if your flight does not take off - will carnival let you switch cruises?

I am very concerned that my wife and I are scheduled to travel for our 10 year anniversary on the Carnival Breeze leaving Saturday March 15 from Miami then heading to grand turk as the first stop. My concern is with all the snow we are getting in the Northeast this winter, what if the flight does not leave the morning of the cruise. Will Carnival allow us if there is room on a sunday cruise to change to another ship? The reason I ask this is that it does not seem after a pretty detailed search that there are any flights on the 15th, 16, or 17 from either Boston to Grand Turk (GDT) or even from Miami, Fort Lauderdale or even PBI to Grand Turks.

I know the insurance can be purchased for missed connections, but what do you do if there are no flight to the next port?

This is why we always fly the day before and stay in a hotel on the beach. Cheap insurance incase of bad weather.

Otherwise look for a flight to Dominican Republic stop. You will miss a few days but better than to miss the whole cruise.

I don't think it's Carnival's problem if you miss your flight.

BTW, hope to see you at embarkation.

Edited by HawkIVette

Actually, there have been a few posts on this topic already...you will not be allowed to catch up to the ship in another port any more. Unless you have purchased insurance, you are pretty much SOL. This is why we always arrive the day before weather flying or driving to port.

If you don't show up at time of departure time, you are considered a no-show. But if you contact Carnival and advise that you have had travel problems, they will hold your cabin in the event you can "catch up". Carnival will not refund or change cruises - nor will they assist in making arraignments for you to get you on board.

If you do "catch up", be prepared for some additional passport/customs issues as well.

Good Luck!

You are still 12 days away from departure. Might as well risk it now. Wait till 3 days away and see if you can book a last minute flight day before if weather looks to be a factor.

Good luck and if you make it on time, I will buy you a drink on the Lido deck as we sail away.

There was a recent post from someone with that dilemma. They got in the car and started driving the day before and made it in time for their cruise. Carnival will not allow you to switch cruises. If it looks like weather is going to stop you from flying maybe you should look at driving a day or so ahead as an option rather than losing your cruise.

There were people on our 02/15 Breeze cruise that lived in the north east and when the weather got bad they jumped into their car and drove rather than risk their flight being cancelled or delayed to the point of missing the ship.

Several years ago, even though we were to fly in the day before, the forecast for a major storm in the Mid-Atlantic made us decide to fly down 3 days before the storm. Fortunately the airlines were letting people switch flights and did not charge the normal change fee.

Turns out, we were one of the last flights out of Baltimore for 5 days. We would have missed our cruise completely if we hadn't switched.

Actually, there have been a few posts on this topic already...you will not be allowed to catch up to the ship in another port any more. Unless you have purchased insurance, you are pretty much SOL. This is why we always arrive the day before weather flying or driving to port.

I believe the issue you mention was that the person forgot passport or ID or something like that, and it was mentioned on that thread that Carnival will allow you to catch up if you miss sailaway due to delayed or cancelled flight, but you need a letter from the airline to say that's what happened.

Carnival will still allow you to catch up with the ship if it's due to a failure of a common carrier, but you do have to get a letter from the airline.

It's not too late to purchase trip insurance and I would do so today from insuremytrip.com

I spoke to Carnival today about my concerns and what they told me was that so long as I am not violating the Jones Act, (boarding in another US port), so long as I have something from the airline that the flight could not take off due to weather, they would allow me to board on the next port of call. However, I also purchased insurance through travel guard with a clause that if weather creates a situation that our flight can not make it to Florida, we can cancel the cruise and get 100% of our money back. With that in mind, I would simply hope I could get out the next day and book with one of the 6 or 7 cruises leaving the next day out of FLL or MIA.

This is not the ideal situation, but it is good to know we have options.

I'm just praying we are done with winter in 2 weeks!!! I'm sick of it. It looks like tomorrow's storm will mostly miss us, only a few inches of snow. But it's still going to be in the 20s this week. This Global warming is really aggravating.

With that in mind, I would simply hope I could get out the next day and book with one of the 6 or 7 cruises leaving the next day out of FLL or MIA.

This is not the ideal situation, but it is good to know we have options.

I didn't think you could book a cruise just a day or so before it sails any longer Have you checked with Carnival to see if that would even be possible?

Several years ago, even though we were to fly in the day before, the forecast for a major storm in the Mid-Atlantic made us decide to fly down 3 days before the storm. Fortunately the airlines were letting people switch flights and did not charge the normal change fee.

Turns out, we were one of the last flights out of Baltimore for 5 days. We would have missed our cruise completely if we hadn't switched.

Wife and I had a similar experience. Saw that the weather was going to be a problem and 3 days before, switched our Southwest flight to the day before. Cost us a couple of hundred more, but we were down in Florida safe and sound. Watching the flights on the day we were supposed to go, I think it did get off but MANY hours late. Wife was so glad we switched... I am a bear in the airport when the plane is late.

When I was ironing for elegant night on my cruise last month there was a woman on there who was supposed to be on a different ship. She let her husband make the arrangements and they were to drop their daughter who was visiting in SC and then head to Charleston. He mixed up the days and they were too late to make their drive. They called and were able to get on the Victory in Miami a few days later. she said Carnival was really great and helpful. I didnt ask what kind of fees they incured to switch but she made it seem like it was no biggie so I am sure it wasnt too bad

I'm just praying we are done with winter in 2 weeks!!! I'm sick of it. It looks like tomorrow's storm will mostly miss us, only a few inches of snow. But it's still going to be in the 20s this week. This Global warming is really aggravating.

:D:D Ahhhhhh, Al Gore and his Global Warming campaign.....unreal.

Yes, SO glad we went from 6-12" to a coating to 2"

20's early in the week, but Thursday and Friday, a HEAT wave. 40's!!!:D

Come on JULY!!!!!:D

We have this same fear. We are flying in day before the cruise but I still worry about blizzards. We are in Wisconsin and we are having our worst winter in 100 years (or something like that) :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

This is one of the reasons I am glad SW flies many flights from Baltimore to Florida. I can trade flights with just having to pay for the additional flight amount, no change fees.

And yes, planning a winter cruise (we've done this for 5+ years now) always has this factor of weather... Just once had to change so far. But, have 2 cruises next winter to deal with. Should be interesting, hoping it will be a tamer winter than this year.

Steve

I didn't think you could book a cruise just a day or so before it sails any longer Have you checked with Carnival to see if that would even be possible?

Yes you can book a cruise even the day before if it is available online. You can also book a cruise on the day of but you have to call Carnival who will call the ship to make sure there are cabins left. Usually the prices aren't any better, and sometimes worse, than booking in advance unless there are lots of cabins open due to hurricanes or other weather problems.

Good luck!

I actually had a situation 3 years ago, when my family was flying to St. Martin for a week, but due to a hurricane, no one could fly there or stay. I called Carnival from the airport and booked a cruise for the very next day. I did not get the cabin I wanted, as there was only one Ocean View left, and normally would book a junior suite, but I still got on and once your on the ship, everything is alright.

We are going out on the 15th but on the Dream, almost booked the Breeze but wanted the itinerary of the Dream with the kids.

I have the same concerns, from Kansas, but we are flying in on Thursday so have 2 days if we have weather concerns. I will be checking the weather pretty much every day, multiple times a day I'm afraid, to see if we might have any issues on the day we leave.

As of right now it is looking okay, we were supposed to get 6-10 inches yesterday and ended up getting just a couple inches of ice instead.

Good thing is that we are flying southwest and they have been pretty good to work with on issues in the past. Worse case we figure out a way to get out or drive :)