Vision of the Seas~B2B~Spanish Immersion~Feb. 8th & 15th~My Diary

Sherri......we're keeping a close eye on it. Will let you know if we find something.

Con....Thanks for that info!

Great -- will watch your postings. We have a rollcall also. My email spelled phonetically is sherriz366 at AOL dot com

I am Facebook friends with Rahul Barua, the CL Concierge. He was delayed in getting off the ship for a week (March 2 to March 9) and now won't be back until May 11. I am disappointed as he was DL concierge for about 3 or 4 years and we have sailed with him more than with any other Concierge but I am glad he is back with his beautiful wife and absolutely gorgeous little boy.

It was a beautiful day for disembarkation!...
Well the weather may be nice for disembarkation' date=' but IMO disembarkation is never a beautiful day:mad:

I finally went back and ran through my pictures and memories of Lyn & my 2009 B2B on the [i']Vision of the Seas[/i] homeporting out of the Dominican Republic (DR). It was one of the least expensive "real" cruises (not counting trips like down the Nile deck class on a felucca) I've taken. RCI could barely give this cruise out of DR away - we ended up for two weeks in an oceanview cabin for less than $500 per person including taxes and tips! Yes, that price was for both (not each) weeks. The only times I see prices like those for two weeks are on slow selling TransAtlantics. We flew into Santo Domingo (SD) early and stayed two nights at the [Marriott] Renaissance Hotel. We arrived in SD on DR Independence Day with endless military parades passing down the Malecon right in front of the hotel, and the last day had transitioned into Carnival parades.

We had signed up for this cruise primarily for the itinerary which, among other ports, included Guadeloupe and Martinique. However due to economic protests in FWI (tires burning in the streets, a chartered 747 of gendarmes flown in from metropolitan France) those ports were replaced with Antigua and St. Maarten. We had been to both replacements ports two months before, but itinerary changes are always possible and, although slightly disappointing, in no way made this a bad cruise. The actual itinerary was Santo Domingo, Antigua, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, Santo Domingo (B2B day), St. Maarten, Dominica (in port with ex RCI Song of America and Maltese Falcon [world's most expensive sailboat]), Margarita Venezuela, Aruba, Santo Domingo.

When we were in Antigua we docked next to the Azamara Journey, the first time I had seen that ship. Four months later we got a great last minute (two weeks from departure) close-out for a Journey Baltic cruise, and ended up docked in Tallinn Estonia next to the Vision - deja vu!

Total fixed cost for the Vision of the Seas 2009 trip including R/T air from DC, hotel and oceanview cabin with taxes and tips (and also counting OBCs from Stockholder, Future Cruise [the last time I was able to combine that with Stockholder] and travel agent OBC) was slightly under a thousand dollars per person for 16 nights. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Your enjoyment of the Vision immersion cruise out of Colon will have me looking more seriously at doing one again.

Thom

Thanks, Thom!

We like to find good deals like that.....and they DO come along every now and then. And you're right....it was so enjoyable. A good bit of that was due to the "small ship" atmosphere that we like so well.

Thanks for reading.....always enjoy your comments!

Jane, thanks for all your help. We had a great week on board and in port. It was definitely a different experience. There were 26 total D and above C&A members on board. The CL and DL sure don't have much business. It was easy to get a place anywhere by either pool if you were out there by 9 or 10am.

I did the officer scavenger hunt but I did NOT interrupt anyone at the table. :)

When I found an official looking man in coveralls and no stripes showing, I asked who he was and found out he was the chief engineer. He signed my paper. As he opened the solarium door, it said push, and he pulled. I mentioned that to him...him being the chief engineer. LOL I don't think he was impressed. ;)

I'd go to Panama and do it all again.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Oh Gina! So great to hear from you. Glad you had a good time. I hope everything went well with Eric.

What other things did you do?

Hope we can cruise on Vision again soon, but it won't be quite the same in Florida!

Oh Gina! So great to hear from you. Glad you had a good time. I hope everything went well with Eric.

What other things did you do?

Hope we can cruise on Vision again soon' date=' but it won't be quite the same in Florida![/size']

We almost went to Eden Beach in Bonaire, got there, and decided to get right back on the boat. Too cramped of a place for us. So we went over to no name beach and were glad we did. The guys drank beer and bought more from the water taxi on his next round. My friend and I snorkeled. I left my waterproof camera at home after not needing it for so long. Wouldn't you know this was the time I should've had it.

We decided to snorkel again outside the rocks in Curacao at the place you said to go at the end of the beach. I forgot the name...the larger, pricier beach. It was worth the extra $ to not be jammed into a little strip of beach. Snorkel equipment rental was right there. After that, I've just ordered my own from Amazon.com. I realized I don't need fins at all and would rather have my own mask at all times. What an underwater view!

We toured around with a guide we picked up outside the port area in Cartegena. It was our 4th time there and we saw some of the same and some different things. The vendors in the old city can be quite entertaining.

We went to the Nikky Beach club in Aruba. We just hung out and relaxed. I liked it better before all the people arrived and they changed the music to more annoying and loud stuff. But it was still a nice day for us. Aruba has never been my favorite place overall but we still enjoy it. Once we toured around the island and that was enough. We'll just try different beach locations each time we go from now on. Maybe we'll try your other place next time whenever that may be. It's not planned at the moment.

Eric was fine. We had 3 different vehicles each time. It's much easier for my husband to communicate in spanish to him than it is for him to speak english to us. The 3rd vehicle he brought for the trip back to PanCity was rough. It had no windshield wipers and it rained a little bit. The car he picked us up in at the airport the first day was the best one. Driving in Panama is something else, wouldn't you say? There is no chance I'd ever rent a car there and attempt it. :eek:

Gina

Gina.....Glad to hear about all your escapades! I don't think Eric is equipped to deal with more than a couple of people at a time.

The snorkeling is the best in Bonaire! I've never seen such clear and pristine water anywhere!

What's up next for you guys?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jane,

Just re-reading your review before we board on Saturday for the same cruise!

In Curacao, how far is the Lion's Dive from the ship? Have you ever done the Hilton or the Blue Bay Beach Resort? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks! Your review has been so helpful!

Hi!

The Lion's Dive or Sea Aquarium Beach is about a 10 minute cab drive away. You can see the ship from there. The cab costs $20....so if you can share it.....it will be cheaper. I have not been to the other two places.....we have been so satisfied for years here. Hope this helps!

Thanks Jane! I'm thinking I may have asked before, but I'm getting confused with all the ports and beaches I've researched!

So, Lion's Dive is also right near the Hilton. But, the day pass at Lion's Dive seems quite a bit cheaper, so I think we'll try to go there! Your photos are beautiful!

Gina.....Glad to hear about all your escapades! I don't think Eric is equipped to deal with more than a couple of people at a time.

The snorkeling is the best in Bonaire! I've never seen such clear and pristine water anywhere!

What's up next for you guys?

Next is Alaska to get away from the Florida summer heat. Time for hiking.

Hi Jane' date='

Just re-reading your review before we board on Saturday for the same cruise!

In Curacao, how far is the Lion's Dive from the ship? Have you ever done the Hilton or the Blue Bay Beach Resort? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks! Your review has been so helpful![/quote']

We've been to Blue Bay but it was a while ago so I can't remember it well. I know we enjoyed it for the short time we were there. We had a friend who lives on the island picking us up from there. There was a lot of shade. And it was cheap to get there because we took a bus there. I can't even remember where we caught the bus but it should be easy to find on the ports of call board.

But if you go to Lion's Dive or the beach along the way between there and Sea Aquarium, there are rocks that break the water before it gets to the beach. The snorkeling is great outside the rocks. You can rent snorkeling equipment from the Lion's Dive. We didn't need fins or a vest although there are waves and a current outside the rocks. There isn't much to see inside the rocks because the water is too stirred up from people.

I'd go back to Lion's Dive just for the snorkeling and the pricey but nice chairs and shade - much more spread out than the rest of the beach along the way.

Gina

We've been to Blue Bay but it was a while ago so I can't remember it well. I know we enjoyed it for the short time we were there. We had a friend who lives on the island picking us up from there. There was a lot of shade. And it was cheap to get there because we took a bus there. I can't even remember where we caught the bus but it should be easy to find on the ports of call board.

But if you go to Lion's Dive or the beach along the way between there and Sea Aquarium, there are rocks that break the water before it gets to the beach. The snorkeling is great outside the rocks. You can rent snorkeling equipment from the Lion's Dive. We didn't need fins or a vest although there are waves and a current outside the rocks. There isn't much to see inside the rocks because the water is too stirred up from people.

I'd go back to Lion's Dive just for the snorkeling and the pricey but nice chairs and shade - much more spread out than the rest of the beach along the way.

Gina

So helpful Gina! Thank you! I love snorkeling and have already packed my snorkeling gear, so I think you've made this an easy decision for me! My husband and little boy love relaxing on nice loungers in the shade, so this will be perfect.

So helpful Gina! Thank you! I love snorkeling and have already packed my snorkeling gear, so I think you've made this an easy decision for me! My husband and little boy love relaxing on nice loungers in the shade, so this will be perfect.

After snorkeling here, I came home and bought a high quality snorkel and mask. I never knew snorkels didn't have to leak. I realized snorkeling is so much easier for me without the fins and a low profile mask is easy to pack. Be sure if you are going the same direction as the current at first that you are a strong enough swimmer to go the other direction. There are even places between the rocks that you can carefully swim through. You'll need to guide yourself with your hands on the rocks in order to not scrape yourself on a rock. There was a lot to see and the water was totally clear. If you stop and look down and through some rocks you'll see some fish and things hiding that might go un-noticed if you swim too quickly.

Also in Bonaire, if you go over to no name beach on the water taxi($20pp), there are clusters of areas with coral and not especially deep water where you see some really pretty and colorful fish in many sizes. Some you wouldn't expect to see so close to shore. There are no facilities over there so if you want food and drinks, you'll need to bring your own. Or you can buy sodas and water from the water taxi driver every hour. :)

Gina

Lion's Dive doesn't exactly have a Day Pass. What we do is get the taxi driver to drop us off there. We walk through the hotel lobby and out on the beach from there. Actually the best way to go out to the beach is to walk through the lobby and turn to the right and go by some of the rooms. Then turn left out on to the beach. Walk to the right when you get down to the beach. We like to sit real close to the new bar and grill so that is handy. Just sit down in some chairs and someone will eventually come around and take money for them. On our second week there.....no one ever came!! Ha Ha!!

Lion's Dive doesn't exactly have a Day Pass. What we do is get the taxi driver to drop us off there. We walk through the hotel lobby and out on the beach from there. Actually the best way to go out to the beach is to walk through the lobby and turn to the right and go by some of the rooms. Then turn left out on to the beach. Walk to the right when you get down to the beach. We like to sit real close to the new bar and grill so that is handy. Just sit down in some chairs and someone will eventually come around and take money for them. On our second week there.....no one ever came!! Ha Ha!!

They found us within minutes. But the $12pp was worth it for the great location we got - chairs, tables and plenty of shade including a permanent umbrella like structure. We were there very early so we probably stood out. The last time were there it was nothing like this at the end. I'm glad you told us about the upgraded changes.

Gina

Thanks you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful, and detailed trip report. I have a suggestion should you try snorkeling again. My husband is what I call an anxious swimmer, and just using a foam noodle while snorkeling was very relaxing for him. You are able to float without getting tired. Just an idea.

Thanks again,

Bella

Thanks, Bella! I believe they had the noodles but we used another floating device that went around our waists. The noodles are a good idea. I am a strong swimmer.....my problem after a while.....was that I kept getting water in my mask and just couldn't breathe properly. I would have stayed out much longer if that hadn't happened. The snorkeling was just so wonderful in Bonaire!

Maybe be a silly question, but my wife brought this up and it got my attention.

We are going on this b2b cruise next week and one of the main reasons I love to cruise is the food. Love to eat! My question is: This is being labeled as a "Cultural Enriching Experience" Cruise (or something like that). Our TA explained that one of the themes are that we will be eating food from the countries that we visit.

That is great and I always like to try new foods. However, can I still expect to have some steak, shrimp, lobster, and pound of bacon in the morning?

My wife suggested that I should not be surprised if all the foods are authentic to the country.

Lastly, any daily bulletins (not sure what they are called ) out there for this cruise that go over the daily activities?

Any help will be great.

Thank you!!!

Maybe be a silly question, but my wife brought this up and it got my attention.

We are going on this b2b cruise next week and one of the main reasons I love to cruise is the food. Love to eat! My question is: This is being labeled as a "Cultural Enriching Experience" Cruise (or something like that). Our TA explained that one of the themes are that we will be eating food from the countries that we visit.

That is great and I always like to try new foods. However, can I still expect to have some steak, shrimp, lobster, and pound of bacon in the morning?

My wife suggested that I should not be surprised if all the foods are authentic to the country.

Lastly, any daily bulletins (not sure what they are called ) out there for this cruise that go over the daily activities?

Any help will be great.

Thank you!!!

I was on VI b2b March 8 and 15 and I think the Immersion has been unduly overemphasized. The most obvious difference is that English is not the first language for the announcements.

Depending on the specific demographics (and it did change between the 2 weeks), you'll see cultual differences in the passengers but not really in the cruise experience. Some groups gather near the elevators, etc., and just seem to be visiting there. Family groups (read that as large) are louder than others.

The show on the first day was Spanish only, but only that one show. There was a meeting for English-speaking passengers on the first morning, before arriving in Cartegena to help make us feel more comfortable. I felt it was unnecessary, especially since all crew members dealing with passengers speak English.

The most important thing to watch out for is the Shore Excursions. Make sure you book English ones!!

Finally, regarding the food, I was quite surprised to see the regular menus!

It's a great ship with a great crew, so you made a great choice!:D

Beth explained that quite well! I thought all the menus were the same as usual. I usually throw the daily compasses away before we get off the ship, so I don't have any to share. Sorry.

Beth.....I would like to hear more about your experiences!!

Here are a couple of pictures from the inside:

DSC02941_zps502848d1.jpg

DSC02942_zpsf54c3117.jpg

You can lay in your bed in this cabin and have the most wonderful panoramic view.

We did a lot of reading this afternoon and tried to tune out the noise.

Thank you so much for these pictures! I can't wait for our turn to use it!:D I am really enjoying your review of the Vision!

Beth explained that quite well! I thought all the menus were the same as usual. I usually throw the daily compasses away before we get off the ship' date=' so I don't have any to share. Sorry.[/size']

Beth.....I would like to hear more about your experiences!!

Jane,

As usual, you and I pretty much agree.

I spent one week with each of the Captains - planned it that way. The only bad thing about them is that Capt Srecko does his table at 9pm and we didn't finish until 11. Way too late for me!

Jose and Pablo (Loyalty) took great care of me - as usual. Same for Ron (F&B), Jennifer (maitre d' for Specialty restaurants), her husband Alex (Izumi mgr), and seemingly the entire Izumi staff - remember I'm the "godmother" of Izumi. I really missed seeing Rico, even though Carlos did a great job - it's just that Rico and I go back several years. GSM DeDe was new to me and she's a blast! HD Sanjay was very busy, so we didn't have much of a reunion. Spent a little more time w/Efrem in D lounge this time and a little less time in CL, even though I knew Butcher from before.

One new shining star was the CL bar waiter on the first week. Karlo, from Bosnia, is so much better than the others. It's his first contract, and I'm sure they'll be moving him up quickly.

It's funny. You ask about experiences, and all my comments are about people. That's what it's all about on Vision class ships!!! Yaaaaayyy!!

:D:cool:

Edited by BoyntonBeth