Pacific Pearl - Akaroa taday

Looks like they did not call into Akaroa. Marine traffic has them them out at sea .

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home

The weather forecast has not been good down that way . Perhaps the winds were too strong to enter the harbour. They have also had snow on the Alps...what a way to finish summer..:eek:

Yes, It does look like the Pearl has missed Akaroa today.

I would guess because it was too windy for them :(

Thanks Kiwi cruiser, my sister is aboard and I told her what a wonderful place Akaroa is.

Still she will be able to use this disappointment as an excuse for another trip around your wonderful Islands.:)

We have been around 4 times, did miss Napier once and in Akaroa they had trouble with the tenders due to strong winds.

Wellington next, not likely to have windy weather there are they!!

I believe it is possible you were aboard last year when we missed Napier.

Edited by sun-set

No wonder they missed Akaroa. Some areas down there had winds up to 120 kms per hr. Many houses have lost rooves. Speaking to rellies last night and they had to turn the heat pump on as it was so cold.

The ship is in Wellington today but unfortunately the storm looks like its following them up the coast.:eek:

We're in Christchurch at the moment.

It has been blowing a howling gale all night and the wind has picked up even more this morning. They've forecast up to 140kmh out on the peninsula today and 120 here.

It would not be nice on a ship at all.

No wonder they missed Akaroa. Some areas down there had winds up to 120 kms per hr. Many houses have lost rooves. Speaking to rellies last night and they had to turn the heat pump on as it was so cold.

The ship is in Wellington today but unfortunately the storm looks like its following them up the coast.:eek:

Marina is meant to be in Akaroa tomorrow!

We're in Christchurch at the moment.

It has been blowing a howling gale all night and the wind has picked up even more this morning. They've forecast up to 140kmh out on the peninsula today and 120 here.It would not be nice on a ship at all.

Midday news reported that 5,000 homes are now without power ,

mainly in Lyttleton and on Banks Peninsula.

Hope those folk are keeping warm.

Fresh snow on the Southern Alps, seems strange to be heating the house at the beginning of March.

My sister has just sent a message, the Captain has informed the passengers that they are unlikely to be visiting Napier:mad:

My sister has just sent a message, the Captain has informed the passengers that they are unlikely to be visiting Napier:mad:

I can understand that . The port at Napier is very exposed to the South and the East and the the wind is coming from the South , bringing a cold blast with it.:eek:

Its Global Warming. ... Yeah , Right ...:D ... :confused:

I can understand that . The port at Napier is very exposed to the South and the East and the the wind is coming from the South , bringing a cold blast with it.:eek:

Its Global Warming. ... Yeah , Right ...:D ... :confused:

Hope we do not get the winter weather that North America is experiencing.

Heres a grab from the port cam. Its been off and on all day. Got a shot of your sisters ship, Pacific Pearl with Oceanias Marina in front of it. Also in the foreground is the InterIslander Ferry. I believe sailings have been cancelled for the day as its too rough out there. Wonder if Pearl will leave the shelter of the harbour or head off into the wind?

4welly_zps0f551000.jpg

Just checked the schedule and looks like Pearl is staying overnight .Down to leave at 8 am Wed 5 March.

61 MV Marina AQ Mon 03 Mar 14 13:30 Wed 05 Mar 14 18:00 1252

62 Pacific Pearl AQ Tue 04 Mar 14 07:00 Wed 05 Mar 14 08:00 1856

I will make this a separate post as welll as some may miss it as its tucked onto the end of another thread.