Huge problem and we weren't told

Cruisegirl6

On our last cruise we upsold ourselves to an OV a few months before the cruise.

Didnt realize it when we booked and pvp didnt tell me, but it was a handicapped cabin as we found out when we first entered it.

No step in shower and bathroom never did get flooded.

Huge cabin but for us lots of wasted space.

You only have a few days to go before cruise and most likely they will not need your cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks thats exactly what we hoping. :)

Don't worry about being moved. You are in Category 6E, so if you were to be moved, it would have to be 6E or better, which means you cannot be moved to a lower deck. CCL placed DW and I in E69 on a previous cruise, and the room is same size as other 6E cabins.

Not to be rude but how is it Carnival's responsibility to tell you that these cabins are handicapped accessible? Doesn't it tell you on the deck plans?

Seems the OP was on the phone with the rep when the rep suggested these cabins. So no chance to look at a deck plan. Plus, not every deck plan shows the accessible rooms. It is Carnival's responsibility to tell people reserving rooms what type of room it is; especially if there's a chance they could be booted out of it. I think the only reason why this rep didn't was because the change was so close to the sailing date.

Not to be rude but how is it Carnival's responsibility to tell you that these cabins are handicapped accessible? Doesn't it tell you on the deck plans?

I don't ever remember seeing cabins marked as accessible cabins on the deckplans that I've looked at.

I don't ever remember seeing cabins marked as accessible cabins on the deckplans that I've looked at.

On CCL site when looking at cabins on deck plans, there is a symbol with each room. Scroll down to bottom of page for that deck to see what the symbol represents.

I booked a cruise 14 months out and only had one handicap room available according to the agent I talked to. Just know that on our last cruise I had wanted a 4J handicap room and was told they were already booked. Checked during week of departure and same story. Then lo, met someone on the cruise who was moved to a 4J room that week who did NOT require one and did NOT ask for one. I do NOT buy the story they will move someone not requiring handicap for someone who does.

YES, THEY DO... My parents and I booked the Imagination 3 days before we cruised and yes, not only did the special needs rep tell us they were moving out the passengers in the cabin that she put us in, we found their "free drinks" coupon upon entering the cabin. She did put me on hold for a bit while checking to make sure that the passengers already booked into the Handicap cabin did not have the correct paperwork on file saying they needed the Handicap Cabin...

the good news.. I have never heard either one of my parents complaining about their shower or cabin flooding :) and, if you're moved, they can only move you to a cabin at the same category or higher, not a downgrade...

On CCL site when looking at cabins on deck plans, there is a symbol with each room. Scroll down to bottom of page for that deck to see what the symbol represents.

I think that is only when going through the booking process. Not on the general deck plans.

I make sure to have a copy of the deck plans nearby but I guess it wasn't possible for lynda with such short notice. Thanks for the clarification.

Seems the OP was on the phone with the rep when the rep suggested these cabins. So no chance to look at a deck plan. Plus, not every deck plan shows the accessible rooms. It is Carnival's responsibility to tell people reserving rooms what type of room it is; especially if there's a chance they could be booted out of it. I think the only reason why this rep didn't was because the change was so close to the sailing date.

Georgiagolfer glad to hear the rooms are the same size and its true they can't give me a lower category as I chose the highest ocean view category so IF we were moved we would expect the same on the Empress deck or balcony.

The deck plans do not show accessible rooms wish they did not only for people who don't want this type of room but for those who need them, it be easier if they can see which are what.

We needed two cabins and when the rep told us there were only two on the Empress deck I grabbed them as that is my favorite deck to be on, I would go upper deck but last week there was only one cabin, now there are a few lol. The reps need to tell passengers that these cabins are accessible. or just perhaps its so close to the cruise they just want to fill the cabins up.

I guess next time we book up any cruise I ask whether it is an accessible cabin. ;)

I've been upgraded INTO an accessible cabin, and frankly, it was a VERY nice room. Bigger bathroom, and shower, and the cabin, IMO, was a bit larger as well, I guess to make it easier for someone to maneuver a wheel chair in. I wouldn't stress about your situation. I'd bet that you'll be very happy, which ever way it goes, but if you were to get "bumped" I'd be very surprised. Congrats on a GREAT room, IMO.

"SKY"

The deck plans do not show accessible rooms wish they did not only for people who don't want this type of room but for those who need them, it be easier if they can see which are what.

If you go to Carnival's web site click on Explore, then click on Our Ships, click on the ship you are interested in and then click on Deck Plans. Pick your deck and mouse over the cabin and it will show how many can be booked in a cabin and if it is Accessible, it will show a wheel chair.

Carnival won't bump you to a downgraded cabin if they need the accessible one. If anything, they will upgrade you. If your reservation is linked to your travel companions, the associates will see that. They can see the list of all accessible cabins, and have some flexibility to choose who to upgrade. We made friends with a couple who got bumped from a handicap balcony all the way up to the owners suite on our 12-day Med cruise last summer...

You mention your phobia several times, and we understand that the possibility of being moved to a lower deck is a big deal for you... but please trust that 99.99999% of cabin changes are lateral moves and upgrades.

I've never heard of anyone being downgraded to a lower category... maybe from a balcony on one deck to another, but never from a balcony to a OV or Interior.

If someone requires a handicap cabin on Carnival they have to notify special needs. They will move you if someone proving need wants one AND they have somewhere else as good or better than that cabin to put you in.

The showers don't have the lip on them, but they don't flood the bathroom. My 87 year old FIL had one and it was fine. We really appreciated that he had the extra handrails in the bathroom. His cabin was huge - accessible cabins allow for wheelchairs to be used in the cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

I booked a handicapped room through a Carnival agent, whom I've used many times and trust implicitly, and he assured me that in the case of our room being needed by a handicapped person, we would NOT be downgraded. Only a lateral or upgrade.

I am so sorry for you. I hate to say it, but Carnival has done similar things to me in the past. Some of their PVP's are wonderful, but some don't care about the people they are booking and are just earning a paycheck. I've gotten 4 different answers from 4 different phone calls.

That said, the other posters are correct. If they need your handicapped cabin, they will only move you to a comparable cabin or higher. Maybe you'll get really lucky and get bumped to a Suite. Whatever happens, I hope you have a fabulous cruise.:D

If the bathroom is large doesn't that mean the room is smaller?

We were in E 69 a few years ago, We were told that accessible rooms were the way to go! After having one I disagree. The bathroom may be a little bigger but you will probably not notice any size difference. As you know there is no lip for the shower, so going into the bathroom with socks on was a no go, unless you like wet socks.

As far as the room goes to make it accessible they just remove most of the furniture. I think we had a wooden chair and maybe a little round table in the corner. You still have the bed and desk area but they try and keep it open as possible for wheel chairs ect.

However the location was excellent!:)

Try not to worry, I am sure everything will turn out fine. I have been in a handicap room before and the shower does overflow a bit. Best thing to do is immediately put a couple towels down to minimize the chance for slipping.

I would think you would be ok with the room this close to sailing. My guess is most handicap folks know the accessible rooms are limited and book earlier.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Cruisinisthebest I love your name lol. Your right like everybody else if the accessible is needed they would have it assigned by now.

About the bathroom flooding, I meant they don't have that step that holds the water in the shower only it actually runs to the toilet and the sink. Yikes lol

My other half took me on the Fascination last May for my 50th we had a suite it was nice. I love the Fascination easy to get around, very quaint and you get to meet nice people and bump into them from time to time, unlike a large ship you find nice people and never seen them again. Too bad your all not going with me it be fun.