How to Spending Day in Puerto Rico w/ Luggage

wolfpackmom

Our November cruise will return to Puerto Rico at 6 am, but our flight home will not leave until 5 pm, so we have a full day to wander around but we'll have our luggage with us. Do you have any suggestion on how to spend the time? I'm guessing a beach day is out.

Also, we are seasoned travelers who only use roll aboards (if you can't fit it in a roll aboard, you don't need it). I've seen lots of people in big cities (Barcelona, London, Paris, NYC) walking about w their luggage, but can't say I remember seeing this in a beach/resort type location.

BTW, this return day is a Saturday. Any suggestions, like nice places to have brunch or shop, or any other activity would be greatly appreciated.

We've not used the luggage drop stow at Baracchina but have heard of it.

Once we went to the airport and checked our bags then headed downtown for lunch and a little walking around.

Once we went to a resort and asked to check our luggage with the bell man. They refused but allowed us to take it to a pool side restaurant where we had brunch as sat for a couple hours. We were not allowed to use the pool or facilities.

If you do want a beach day I'd suggest calling the resorts and asking if they have a day pass, or day rate, that would accommodate you and allow you to store your luggage in a cabin, locker, or with the bell man. Perhaps if this is arranged ahead of time and a fee paid you'll have better luck than we did just dropping by one without an advance arraingment.

Another option is to book a Segway tour in the morning. You can store your luggage while on the tour. We did this a few years ago and it worked out well. After the tour we had lunch at a restaurant nearby and then went to the airport.

Very easy - go here and look up Free Services. Don't be bothered hauling your luggage - just drop it off.

http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php

They have great food and pina coladas too!

This sounds like the perfect solution. Thank you so much for sharing the website. Is this place close to the dock? Do you think we should walk there or talk a cab?

Just off the Celebrity - as you exit the terminal look for Happy Tours - for $25 each, you can join a van tour of Old San Juan - had a short trip to one of the forts & time to shop/eat lunch before being dropped off at the airport. They keep your bags on the van while you walk around.

The first time DH and I ended a cruise in San Juan, we were in a similar situation to you. We took a cab to the rental car location at the airport and rented a car. We drove over to Barcardi, had lunch in the Condado area (can't remember the name of the restaurant and I think it's closed now anyway) and just rode around town. Didn't have to worry about luggage because it was in the trunk!

If you choose this option, don't be tempted to rent at the pier. We were told that they had to bring the car from the airport anyway so the wait would have been longer than simply taking a cab and renting at the airport facility.

Have fun! We'll be down there again a year from now.

This sounds like the perfect solution. Thank you so much for sharing the website. Is this place close to the dock? Do you think we should walk there or talk a cab?

Whenever we have embarked/disembarked in San Juan with Celebrity they have used the Pan American Pier. That pier is not in the heart of Old San Juan, which is where you will want to be to drop off your luggage. You will need to take a taxi.

Edited by We're The Groupnors

The first time DH and I ended a cruise in San Juan, we were in a similar situation to you. We took a cab to the rental car location at the airport and rented a car. We drove over to Barcardi, had lunch in the Condado area (can't remember the name of the restaurant and I think it's closed now anyway) and just rode around town. Didn't have to worry about luggage because it was in the trunk!

If you choose this option, don't be tempted to rent at the pier. We were told that they had to bring the car from the airport anyway so the wait would have been longer than simply taking a cab and renting at the airport facility.

Have fun! We'll be down there again a year from now.

Oh, this is a great idea, too! I love chatting with ppl on cruise critic because you guys give the best suggestions and really help to solve travel/cruise problems.

Edited by wolfpackmom

We did the same thing a couple of years ago--you need to take a cab. We left our luggage and then walked around Old San Juan doing some shopping. We returned to Barrachina at about 12:30 and had lunch with a couple of Pina Coladas! The a cab ride to the airport --it all worked out great!

Have fun!

We did the same thing a couple of years ago--you need to take a cab. We left our luggage and then walked around Old San Juan doing some shopping. We returned to Barrachina at about 12:30 and had lunch with a couple of Pina Coladas! The a cab ride to the airport --it all worked out great!

Have fun!

I can second that! We did same thing last year. Very easy to do.

cab from pier to Barrachina, cab from Barrachina to airport.

We also ate lunch there, not required for free bag storage.

Remember when you get to the airport, the FIRST thing you need to do is put ALL your bags through the AG inspection station machines.

Have great trip!!

In January, we checked our bags at Barrachina, and walked around Old San Juan, including a tour of the fort. Got pina coladas to go, then caught a cab to the airport. Worked out great!

Just off the Celebrity - as you exit the terminal look for Happy Tours - for $25 each, you can join a van tour of Old San Juan - had a short trip to one of the forts & time to shop/eat lunch before being dropped off at the airport. They keep your bags on the van while you walk around.

Do you have any idea how long the tour is? We just need to kill a couple of hours.