Splendor 2/21/14 to 3/1/14 quick review

jayjaykaykay

That was because you were under Lido on deck 9. My DD's had the L-shaped on deck 6 starboard while we had the aft-wrap and we didn't hear any noise.

But, on another cruise, we had a balcony on deck 8 and heard alot of scraping and dragging from the Lido above us.

We ALWAYS book deck under Lido. We had the aft wraps on all our other ships (Miracle, Spirit, etc) and had no problems. Had the L shaped cabin on the port side on Splendor in May and it wasn't a big deal, but we had starboard side this time and it was terrible.

No, for the crew and I have to tell you, we loved the location and loved the room, but it was the NOISIEST room...DH slept the whole day we got home cuz he didn't get any sleep on the ship! Chairs scraping over head early in the morning...so beware if you are a light sleeper. :eek:

Oh no,I have inside 8445 and my friend has balcony 8447.I am up by 6 but she likes to sleep in.I like the higher decks so I talked her into this deck.She is a light sleeper so she might not be very happy with me.But she does bring ear plugs so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Laura

Oh no,I have inside 8445 and my friend has balcony 8447.I am up by 6 but she likes to sleep in.I like the higher decks so I talked her into this deck.She is a light sleeper so she might not be very happy with me.But she does bring ear plugs so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Laura

That is 2 down from where we were. The stairs are directly behind our stateroom and the aft pool is directly overhead. You might not have that much of a problem. As I said, it is a GREAT location because you can go right up the stairs to Lido. And we had a WONDERFUL stewardess and ass't steward. Gosh darn but I can't remember their names but we chatted all the time and they were really great. When are you cruising? If it's soon, tell her Karen and Jim with the cooler in the shower say hi! ;) Don't stress too much about it. You'll have a great time no matter! :cool:

That is 2 down from where we were. The stairs are directly behind our stateroom and the aft pool is directly overhead. You might not have that much of a problem. As I said, it is a GREAT location because you can go right up the stairs to Lido. And we had a WONDERFUL stewardess and ass't steward. Gosh darn but I can't remember their names but we chatted all the time and they were really great. When are you cruising? If it's soon, tell her Karen and Jim with the cooler in the shower say hi! ;) Don't stress too much about it. You'll have a great time no matter! :cool:

We sail April 26.I picked that location because it is easy to get to Lido.Hopefully we get the same stewardess.If so I will them them hi from you.

Laura

We sail April 26.I picked that location because it is easy to get to Lido.Hopefully we get the same stewardess.If so I will them them hi from you.

Laura

It's a GREAT location. The stairs are just down the hall, walk up and you are facing the Liner pool, take a right or left and you are RIGHT at the buffet.

For the poster Mamagina who asked about Freeport_

When we were on the Splendor last month, we had lots of options in Freeport. We chose to do the snorkelling at Paradise Cove.

We pre-booked with the owners and it was wonderful experience. You don't pay until you get there and they pick you up.

$35. pp includes all the gear, ride to and from the port and entrance to the place.

We stayed for the full 6 hours but you can go for less time if you want. Shuttles leave after 2, 4 and 6 hours with enough time to do some quick shopping around the shops by the pier.

The snorkelling was amazing!! We snorkel a lot and this was one of our best experiences. Saw sea turtles, a nurse shark and LOTS of beautiful rays, corals, fish. Would highly recommend!!

Just make sure that you check the tide schedules before you book. IF the tide is low, it would not be as good a time as when it is high tide. We arrived when it was high tide (great) and left at low tide which made for the best snorkelling experience.

And we went in late January and the water was nice and warm! No shivering or wet suits needed for us.

The other options- which we decided to leave for our next trip- were to take a bus to the Grand Lucaya and spend some time at the beach OR take the bus to the Junkanoo Resort and spend some time at the beach. Both of those options would have cost about $25. pp for transportation and entrance to the place/use of facilities.

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

Glad you had a great cruise! Just curious, what was the glaringly bad experience at sea day brunch?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1st sea day brunch---we were seated at a 6 top with a couple,about 10 minutes later 2 guys joined us.NO ONE got food in less than 30 minutes.

When it did arrive one of the guys left cos' his omelet was raw inside.

My steak& eggs were weird tasting--did not finish either.My son ate the huevos ranchero and spent the next 24 hours in the bathroom or passed out.The 1st couple ate the fruit and coffee only....I guess you can pick up bad eggs anywhere---but we did not return to the brunch again.

Other than this the food was always good in the MDR and Lido and pizza and deli and rotisserie and grill.

Glad you had a great time. We were on the Splendor 2/13-2/21 and loved most of the cruise. We thought the entertainment was much better than previous cruises and YES, Ms Ivy was just sensational.

We also thought the food was again, A+. We tried the Tandoor grill several times and really got to like it. They had fresh hot flatbreads, right off the grill, and put that together with the fresh Hummus and it was a great start to a meal.

We also got the Deli several times. They list Tuna on white bread, but we wanted it on a club roll that they have there. after ma long discussion with them, they relented and gave us what we wanted, and after that, he got to know us, and we created a new meal for them.

We did the Segway tour in Freeport and loved it.

Cheers

Len

1st sea day brunch---we were seated at a 6 top with a couple,about 10 minutes later 2 guys joined us.NO ONE got food in less than 30 minutes.

When it did arrive one of the guys left cos' his omelet was raw inside.

My steak& eggs were weird tasting--did not finish either.My son ate the huevos ranchero and spent the next 24 hours in the bathroom or passed out.The 1st couple ate the fruit and coffee only....I guess you can pick up bad eggs anywhere---but we did not return to the brunch again.

Other than this the food was always good in the MDR and Lido and pizza and deli and rotisserie and grill.

Wow, that's pretty bad! Good to know everything else was better.

What street is the pier on?

If it is warm we may walk up from the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

We usually walk to NCL but I think Carnival may be up the street a few more blocks.

. . .

:)

Hi. Carnival is usually at pier 90 which is right next to pier 88 (where NCL docks usually).

We usually get dropped off around 12th and 49th and cross the street right there to the ship. :cool:

Edited by mizlorinj

I came back to read your review again after my son pointed out all the recent negative member reviews of the Splendor. I'm hoping that our experience is more like yours than all the negative Nellies.

A common complaint seems to be lack of things to do, especially on sea days, and bland food. I'm not concerned about the food because we're pretty easy to please ( if I don't have to cook it, I'm happy), but now I'm concerned DS15 will me bored, and I should have picked the Breakaway.

There were tons of kids on our cruise because the schools in New England were on winter break. They all seemed to be having a BLAST! Don't worry needlessly! Ah....just booked her for 5/12. :D:D:D:D Have to make a countdown clock! :D:D

Thanks for your quick review...maybe a few more questions will turn this into not such a quick review...you're doing a good job answering questions...are you sure you're not a plant from Carnival to steer people away from the Seaday Brunch?...due the the cost of serving filet mignon with eggs...just kidding...great quick review. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

I came back to read your review again after my son pointed out all the recent negative member reviews of the Splendor. I'm hoping that our experience is more like yours than all the negative Nellies.

A common complaint seems to be lack of things to do, especially on sea days, and bland food. I'm not concerned about the food because we're pretty easy to please ( if I don't have to cook it, I'm happy), but now I'm concerned DS15 will me bored, and I should have picked the Breakaway.

Go! have fun ! we had a great time---I never go by reviews unless they are ALL negative for a month or more--there are always neg reviews...I usually don't sail with them..lol

For the poster Mamagina who asked about Freeport_

When we were on the Splendor last month, we had lots of options in Freeport. We chose to do the snorkelling at Paradise Cove.

We pre-booked with the owners and it was wonderful experience. You don't pay until you get there and they pick you up.

$35. pp includes all the gear, ride to and from the port and entrance to the place.

We stayed for the full 6 hours but you can go for less time if you want. Shuttles leave after 2, 4 and 6 hours with enough time to do some quick shopping around the shops by the pier.

The snorkelling was amazing!! We snorkel a lot and this was one of our best experiences. Saw sea turtles, a nurse shark and LOTS of beautiful rays, corals, fish. Would highly recommend!!

Just make sure that you check the tide schedules before you book. IF the tide is low, it would not be as good a time as when it is high tide. We arrived when it was high tide (great) and left at low tide which made for the best snorkelling experience.

And we went in late January and the water was nice and warm! No shivering or wet suits needed for us.

The other options- which we decided to leave for our next trip- were to take a bus to the Grand Lucaya and spend some time at the beach OR take the bus to the Junkanoo Resort and spend some time at the beach. Both of those options would have cost about $25. pp for transportation and entrance to the place/use of facilities.

Thank you for the great information. Lots of options. I was leaning towards just going to the beach but the snorkeling sounds excellent. wow. We just can't wait.

Hi. Carnival is usually at pier 90 which is right next to pier 88 (where NCL docks usually).

We usually get dropped off around 12th and 49th and cross the street right there to the ship. :cool:

Thank you. I thought it was just two more blocks. Someone said 56th street. Now they are predicting like 45 degrees on Sunday but a chance of rain. We'll see what the weather is like before we start walking. Trying to just bring just one "carry-on" each. We have been able to do it when the weather is warm. I don't know if we can do it with some warmer clothes added!:)

Hi,

I think you are on our 3/9 cruise too. We went on the Breakaway last spring and while we were initially impressed with the size and all the extras, in the end it was the extras that disappointed us most. We had a great cruise but it was too much work. You has to reserve everything and sometimes it just didn't work out. The Rock of Ages show had sound problems and they cancelled it quite often. After all the waiting it was just OK. The people who didn't know they had to reserve were very disappointed and they all walked around complaining. The specialty restaurants were too expensive for what you were served. We had to go to the buffet after (except the Brazilian BBQ if you like meat). Our cabin and balcony was TINY. You had to sit sideways on the balcony-our knees didn't fit if the chairs were strait. Probably the only thing your 15 year old would like would be the ropes course on the back of the ship--which was closed most of the time due to wind--so he would get to go on it maybe once or twice and then be bored with it :). We went on the Carnival Legend at the end of last summer, which is a much smaller ship than the Splendor and we were so glad to be back. Carnival is just so much easier with everything available. All the crazy extra cause too much stress. If I want to see a broadway show, go to cirque du solei or do a ropes course I'd rather do a "real" one and save my cruise as a cruise.

I'm sure your 15 year old will have a blast. Tell him he's not missing anything.

Edited by mamagina

Thank you for the great information. Lots of options. I was leaning towards just going to the beach but the snorkeling sounds excellent. wow. We just can't wait.

A few more tips.

If you choose the snorkelling, make sure you apply a bug repellant on lower legs BEFORE getting to the beach and reapplying after you get out of the water. We encountered the 'no-see-ums' on the sand while we were there and some of our group had the 'itches' for a few days thereafter because they didn't use repellant. I used skin-so-soft by Avon which did the trick for me. A regular bug repellant should also be fine. Some people say these insects are seasonal …. I don't know.

You can also rent beach loungers for $3 pp.

They serve some basic food and drink options for a decent, fair price.

If you check out their web page, you can gain more information and make the arrangements for pick-up. We chose the earliest pick-up which was around 8:00 am I believe. Our driver took us one route to get to the place and an other route for the way back. This also gave us the opportunity to see a bit of the island. He gave us an informative tour all the way there, with information about the island, etc.

Some good reviews and pics of Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef) can be found on Trip Advisor.

Edited by 2CoolCanucks