How do I prevent unauthorized entry to my room on Princess?

Loreni

I've never seen them "reserve" it, and I wonder if they would be that blatant in an era of cell phone cameras. I have seen them lock it for take off/landing.

It was a long flight over the Atlanbtic Ocean and they were making sure one was staying clean for them to use.

I checked with someone I know there, off the record of course. As ships come in for drydock, 'additional security monitoring resources' will be added. No specifics on what, where and how many for obvious reasons.

So they may not be there now, but it sounds like there may be more CCTV at some point.

Being a brand new ship you may well see many more CCTV cameras on the Royal/Regal then you would see on the current older ships.

Of course we are getting way off track here from the OP's original question.

You're not wrong Rob. Mike:)

Don't know what makes me reply again, but after reading those threads mentioned above my head hurts.... we know guests ALWAYS remember putting the deadbolt on...Not to make anyone feel bad, but we all read some posts here and think to ourselves.... these people haven't a clue, and I usually do well by just ignoring them. But for some reason since I am a nerd and totally get the workings of various hotel door locks, this bothers me, lol...I even messaged some senior officers on Facebook to confirm my beliefs, I've been off ships for almost 4 yrs. (but cruise regularly as a pax, 50th Princess cruise coming next month) They confirmed that the "Metal key" opens a door with the deadbolt on.

Thanks for posting again, I know you are correct too.

Look at my avatar, I was a night supervisor at the front desk for Princess. I had occasion to have to use the "metal key" as it is referred to. At least the grand class ships (I only worked this class) use a Vingcard Classic door locking mechanism. This comes from the Vingcard operating guide:a metal emergency key (EMK) key operates the cylinder and overrides the deadbolt. If the deadbolt is thrown, turn the key 360 degrees to retract the deadbolt, then turn an additional 120 degrees to retract the latch. Only a metal EMK key can extend a deadbolt from outside a room. But, maybe I'm wrong....

Gentlemen,

I have the greatest appreciation for Floridarob's knowledge and experience. I also have no doubt that the metal key works as described by Rob. But I ask you all to please explain the following. With the three of you being so confident and (self-described) nerdy about this question of the steward's key card functionality, I emailed a personal friend of mine who happens to be aboard the Sapphire Princess at this moment. I explained the two positions, and she agreed to investigate. She asked at the PSD, and was told that there is No Way the steward's key card could open a thrown deadbolt on a passenger door. She then went to her steward, and this is the word-for-word reply I received by email this morning.

Aha! You and I are correct. Spoke to my cabin steward and he demonstrated that he could open the thrown bolt with his key. No supervisor. No technician. Three times. The first time, he turned the deadbolt and opened the lock. The second time I turned the deadbolt and made sure the bolt was out and secure, and he opened it with his key in one second. I did it again to be sure. I know for a fact that the bolt was turned correctly and the door was secure.

You can post this on the boards. I have investigated and triple-checked. :)

:) Pam

Because it was brought up above and attributed and dismissed as passenger error/confusion, in case anyone is wondering about my friend Pam's abilities to know how to put the deadbolt on she is the quite well-respected 'Pam in CA' here on Cruise Critic.

I think it is time we all acknowledge that yes, at least on some Princess ships the deadbolt is easily overcome by the steward and that anyone concerned with personal safety needs to be aware of that fact.

If any of you still wish to debate the ability of the steward's key card to open the deadbolt we should take it up on a new thread. I will happily and scientifically explore the possible options and explanations with anyone so inclined. (The difference in meaning of 'extend' and 'retract' as used in the Vingcard manual comes to mind as does the fortunate ability of Rob to contact ship operating personnel.)

Authorized just makes it legal. If, as an extreme example, the stewards walked into your room every night while you were sleeping to change the towels, you would find that extremely invasive. Legal, but invasive.

This thread was started by the OP to find out what are realistic expectations onboard; how easily is her room accessed by ship staff? What policies are in place and what is actual practice? What can be done to maintain privacy while still allowing emergency access? Slowing accidental entry by a few seconds may be of no importance to some, but could be vital to the well-being of another.

Authorized just makes it legal. If, as an extreme example, the stewards walked into your room every night while you were sleeping to change the towels, you would find that extremely invasive. Legal, but invasive.

This thread was started by the OP to find out what are realistic expectations onboard; how easily is her room accessed by ship staff? What policies are in place and what is actual practice? What can be done to maintain privacy while still allowing emergency access? Slowing accidental entry by a few seconds may be of no importance to some, but could be vital to the well-being of another.

Of course, the "do not disturb" sign is the big one. They should not enter with that inserted. I've also suggested opening the closet and bathroom doors, in cabins where that would be right in front of the entry door.

We have had deadbolts on all of the seven Princess ship we have sailed on. Never a problem.

Previous Cruises

Alaska - 2008 Island Princess

Alaska - 2009 (B2B) Island Princess

Alaska - 2010 Royal Princess (Old)

Alaska - 2011 Golden Princess

Panama Canal - 2012 Coral Princess

Alaska - 2012 Star Princess

Western Caribbean - 2013 Crown Princess

Western Caribbean – 2013 Caribbean Princess

Alaska - 2013 Island Princess

Future Cruises

Eastern Caribbean - 2014 Royal Princess (New)

New England – 2014 Royal Princess (New)

Edited by ChiefBoats