Clothing in mdr for teens

Sunnymom02

Sorry, no jeans on elegant night. From Carnival's FAQ page:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

IF the boys have black jeans with black dress shoes they could even wear those on elegant night with a collared shirt. My husband has been doing that for all of our cruises without any probs at all ever!!!

On NON elegant night they would look fine in what you have described. They might even look better than half the other cruisers!

Two men sitting at our table last week wore jeans and one wore sneakers on elegant night. No one said anything to them. IMHO there isn't a dress code on Carnival - people wear what ever they want. However overall, I did see more folks dressed up on my Liberty cruise last week than I did last year on Glory.

Edited by mek

IF the boys have black jeans with black dress shoes they could even wear those on elegant night with a collared shirt. My husband has been doing that for all of our cruises without any probs at all ever!!!

On NON elegant night they would look fine in what you have described. They might even look better than half the other cruisers!

Really? So Jeans (black jeans) are fine for ELEGANT night? Jeans are classified as 'elegant' attire on CCL?......... OK..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by monakayk

I have not been yet, but for my 14 yo I got him a pair of black not denim pants from West49, which is a store he liked and he deemed the pants acceptable.

Also got him a couple of polo shirts.

For myself I have packed some nice capri pants and dressier tops. Not "formal" necessarily but things I would wear to work at my professional job and I'll add some bling to make it dressier but I don't have the luggage space (due to a small car and trying to fit the 4 of us plus our luggage in) so we have to do what works for our family.

I have sailed before on Celebrity Cruises which has a more strict policy than Carnival in terms of formal night but, even so, we did see people in the dining room with jeans (and not nice jean or dark jeans, just adults in faded jeans).

Really? So Jeans (black jeans) are fine for ELEGANT night? Jeans are classified as 'elegant' attire on CCL?......... OK..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, they are. My DS always wears shorts and a nice t-shirt (mostly Diamond brand) with his skater shoes on casual nights. On the more dress-up night he wears black jeans, and either a dress shirt or a polo shirt. Before someone flames me for letting the DS wear t-shirts to dinner...they're designer and cost me a cool $30-$40 bucks! :eek: They have very original artwork on them and most are limited additions. His shorts are Dickies brand which are longer than most shorts and come down to just below his knees. He always looks great to me!:D

This is just what DH and I ask of our sons - nothing to do with what Carnival recommends or what suits other folks. On non-elegant nights, we want them to wear long pants and either polos or plain non-collared shirts (e.g., tees without writing - patterns are fine). It's the same as what we ask of them in going to a restaurant on shore for dinner. On elegant nights, we want collared shirt and tie with dress slacks. Sometimes they add a jacket (depends on whether we have to fly to our embarkation port). After dinner, they're free to change. And they usually do.:p

Our last cruise in January there was a teenage boy that had more holes and rips in his very faded jeans then there was jean material and he was in sitting down at the table right next to us. The family was a very very nice family from Sweden. I personally would never allow my teen boy or girl go into the MDR like that but it sure didn't bother me!

Honestly over the last several years it appears that nearly anything goes in the MDR, I have seen it ALL, again if that is what floats their boat then so be it, I am not the MDR police and it isn't my ship or my dining room so .......BUT if it were......LOL ahhh but again it is NOT! LOL