Next step up from RCCL for a bit more "luxury"?

We are relatively new to cruising and have perfectly enjoyed our RCCL cruises so far. We just finished our second last month and have our third booked for next year.

We really enjoy the dress-up aspect of the formal nights and actually choose to over-dress on non-formal nights. We don't make a lot of opportunity at home to dress up and go out, so we look at it as a fun opportunity. How those around us dress doesn't affect our vacation at all, so not trying to start ANYTHING about dress code! ;)

We are both right around 40 - so not old, but not young - although very physically active and young at heart. We are not "party" people, but also not geriatric either, and like a lively ship that provides good people watching. :D

What cruiseline, do those with experience, feel is the next step up the ladder from RCCL in terms of luxury/formal evenings/etc...? Not looking for the top tier, as we are not high rollers, and currently don't have the time/resources to spend a month at sea either. Just something that you might consider a bit more luxurious than RCCL.

We have no real intention of jumping ship on RCCL, but I like researching, reading, and checking out potential future vacations.

Thanks for any input/discussion.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

You may want to give Celebrity a look. It is slightly more elegant and often costs less than an equivalent RCI cruise. They also have more longer itinerary cruises available. I've been on many Celebrity cruises and enjoyed each one. The atmosphere is more subdued and, I think, classy, but we often go back and forth between Celebrity and RCI because we like the more upbeat feel of RCI too (so both have their pluses).

If you have enough points to be at one of the Crown and Anchor levels Celebrity will give the equal level in Captain's Club as well.

There's also Azamara in the RCCL realm, but we've never tried that and I think it is significantly more expensive.

Some people say HAL is good, but I think their ships are ugly and I don't like the smoking policy.

Princess and Carnival are really like RCI.

My two pesos,

Tom

We are relatively new to cruising and have perfectly enjoyed our RCCL cruises so far. We just finished our second last month and have our third booked for next year.

We really enjoy the dress-up aspect of the formal nights and actually choose to over-dress on non-formal nights. We don't make a lot of opportunity at home to dress up and go out, so we look at it as a fun opportunity. How those around us dress doesn't affect our vacation at all, so not trying to start ANYTHING about dress code! ;)

We are both right around 40 - so not old, but not young - although very physically active and young at heart. We are not "party" people, but also not geriatric either, and like a lively ship that provides good people watching. :D

What cruiseline, do those with experience, feel is the next step up the ladder from RCCL in terms of luxury/formal evenings/etc...? Not looking for the top tier, as we are not high rollers, and currently don't have the time/resources to spend a month at sea either. Just something that you might consider a bit more luxurious than RCCL.

We have no real intention of jumping ship on RCCL, but I like researching, reading, and checking out potential future vacations.

Thanks for any input/discussion.

Dan.

I also say try Celebrity. To us, it is a step above RC. IMHO, food is better, atmosphere is a bit classier on Celebrity, and the dress seems to be a bit more on the formal side. Pricing is very similar, or just a little more than RC. Also, if you are a C&A member, you can automatically become a Captains Club member on your first Celebrity cruise with the reciprical of benefits between RC & Celebrity.

Thanks for all the input.

To answer one thing I saw above, we are currently only Gold C&A members with 20 points. We will make the next level after our next cruise (we will have 34 points after that one). Do either of those translate over to any of the Celebrity tiers?

I've looked at Celebrity a few times, and their staterooms are a bit confusing to me. What would be the equivalent of an RCCL Junior Suite on Celebrity?

What about a Grand Suite equivalent?

Thanks again!

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

Been on Princess. I call them a little "stuffy" for me. You will see an older crowd with more dressing up. Not sure if that's what you're talking about. I love Royal and Princess just wasn't for us. Beautiful ships though! But I think Royal has a great balance of it all. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on Princess. I call them a little "stuffy" for me. You will see an older crowd with more dressing up. Not sure if that's what you're talking about. I love Royal and Princess just wasn't for us. Beautiful ships though! But I think Royal has a great balance of it all. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love when the Princess ships play the "Love Boat" theme with the horns when leaving port. (At least the big ship in Ft Lauderdale did last month) ;) Nice touch and cool throwback to their past.

Dan.

Celebrity has several classes on their balcony and above depending on the amenity you like. We have done 2 on Celebrity but more on Holland America. We have also sailed on Princess, Disney, Carnival, Costa and several other cruise lines. I like RCCL because of their large ships that have more to offer. The Allure was fun but I like the Freedom class and Voyager class better. I find the elevators on the Voyager class are not moving passengers as well as the larger Freedom class or Oasis class.

We like Princess. It is more relaxed than RCCL and we find it to be a good alternative. The food is very good. We never feel on Princess that you need to dine in an up charge restaurant. Also, their pizza is fabulous...

We have not tried Celebrity or HAL, but they are also in the same vein. Also, it may seem odd, but Disney is somewhat upscale as well...

There is no bad cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bmc alabama

If you are looking for something more formal... then Celebrity isn't going to give you the big jump you are looking for. Maybe you'll find more people dressing for formal night -- but you'll find the same mix as on RCi. If you are looking for formal.. you need to jump to Cunard -- and pay for the 'upper class' , just my opinion...

You're only 40 so I would save Celebrity for when your over 50. I would go with Princess. I don't feel that Princess is the same as RCCL. I feel Princess is more high end. Celebrity would be my second choice. If you want more luxury then go with Seabourne.

Try Cunard. Very different vibe in the evenings -- even on "elegant casual" nights. A transatlantic crossing on QM2 is especially nice with the vast majority of people following the dress codes on both the formal and casual nights. It sounds as though you would enjoy the elegance, as I do.

Thanks for all the input.

To answer one thing I saw above, we are currently only Gold C&A members with 20 points. We will make the next level after our next cruise (we will have 34 points after that one). Do either of those translate over to any of the Celebrity tiers?

I've looked at Celebrity a few times, and their staterooms are a bit confusing to me. What would be the equivalent of an RCCL Junior Suite on Celebrity?

Thanks again!

Dan.

We find the Sky Suites on Celebrity the closest match to the JS on Royal. However, the Sky Suites come with a butler for a truly upscale experience! I think you might enjoy it.

Thanks again!

Dan.

Size wise a sky suite is the JS equivilent, but as the previous poster noted it comes with better perks (a butler).

I believe a Celebrity Suite would be the GS equivilent. Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Dave85