Cadiz Spain to Seville Spain, transportation

Fairfield Nana

Does anyone know of economical and efficient transportation from the port of Cadiz to Seville and return for a 6-8 hour day trip? Thanks.

There is a train which takes about two hours each way @ approximately $25

each way. The problem is you will spend much of your day on the train.

On our first Renaissance cruise there was a couple on our cruise who took the train to Seville. They felt that they saw what they wanted to in the time they had.

I agree, two hours each way is a lot of time. Then again, we took the ship's tour to Seville and as I recall it took about that long on the bus (by the time you had the obligatory half hour rest stop).

Mura

Does anyone know of economical and efficient transportation from the port of Cadiz to Seville and return for a 6-8 hour day trip? Thanks.

I've answered your question on the Spain board. Now that I see this same question on the Oceania board, I'll add that we cruised on Marina.

As we were walking to the train station in Cadiz, we met up with another couple from our cruise who had the same idea. They became our tour guides; it helped that they were fluent in Spanish... The 4 of us had a great time together. It is a very short walk from the pier to the station. It is very easy to do this on your own if you want; you can even buy train tickets online prior to leaving home (renfe.com).

It is not really honest to say that a day in Cadiz gives you a day in Seville; it's a long haul no matter how you do it, and you really don't have a lot of time there. You don't want to cut it too close coming back. Spanish trains are not as punctual as the German ones! ;) But they are cheap - just found a RT ticket for later this month for 12.60 euros. About 1h50 each way.

We found a cab, got a bit of a driving tour, and then toured the cathedral, climbed the tower, and ran through the real alcazar. More time would have been nice, but it was worth going. Next time we visit Seville, I think it will be by land and more leisurely, without having to high-tail it out to catch the boat 2h away.

Make sure you know which station you want; there are 2 or 3 in Seville and I can't remember which one(s) are best for which attractions.

The second time we stopped in Cadiz, we spent the day in Jerez instead. Less than an hour each way by train, and therefore less rushed.

Our first time in Cadiz was courtesy of Renaissance and we overnighted there, so no problem getting back from Seville no longer what method you used for transport. It also gave us most of the second day to visit Cadiz.

Our second time, we spent the day in Jerez. But that was a short day (departure at 4pm) and we used a private guide.

Our third time we again devoted our time to Cadiz itself.

If Oceania were going to ask me my druthers, it would be to have two days there. But I'm not holding my breath ...

Mura

Dear GHJ123--- I recall seeing some of your posts on the Marina cruise last Sep 2013 from London to Barcelona. Do you recall the approx. time you passed Gibraltar from Cadiz to Malaga--could you see it from the ship? Thanks.

Otis

The train schedule is not a close fit for a port visit of 8.00am till 6.00pm. Has anyone had experience in engaging private transport from Cadiz to Seville and return (and also Malaga into Granada)? My preference would be for return transfers rather than organised day tours. Thanks.

I don't have info for private transport to Seville but I do have information for getting to the Alhambra. Email me, see below. If that address doesn't work (sometimes it doesn't, I don't know why), try mura at speakeasy dot net.

In Cadiz you should also consider spending the day in Jerez -- closer than Seville and equally interesting. And Cadiz itself is worth the visit.

A comment about the Alhambra ... tickets are limited, and so often the ship's tour is the best bet. They get a lock on tickets, the other agencies sometimes scramble. When you get to the Alhambra you will be assigned one of THEIR guides, and broken up into smaller groups, so this is one time when a ship's tour can be worth it.

When we used a private guide we had a tour of Granada first, some time for drinks and snacks in town, and then we went up to the Alhambra. Did I prefer it to the ship's tour? Yes. But would I say you have to do it that way?

Nope.

If you want to book a private tour, you need to do it well in advance.

Mura

Fairfield Nana:

I'm thinking that we passed Gibraltar in the middle of the night somewhere about 1:30 to 2:30 in the morning. You may want to check with the concierge upon boarding for more specific information.

Happy travels--we loved this cruise!

In rethinking this, that time makes no sense and I may have confused it with our Canary Island Cruise. In either case we did not see Gibraltar, sorry I can't be of more help

Edited by GJH123

Dear GHJ-- you've been a great help. I will indeed check with concierge when we board.. Like to see Gibraltar if possible, as this is what this cruise is all about for us-- to see as many famous sights as possible. I remember when we lived in Germany in the late 70's, we took a weekend trip to Paris in our car with our kids and were looking for some place to stop for a picnic lunch. We drove and drove on the local back roads near Paris and finally found very quiet and beautiful tree-lined road to a very pretty and peaceful park. Stopped or our lunch and noticed a couple of magnificent statues and a couple of old train cars a few yards from our picnic spot. It turned out that this was Compiegne, the site of the German surrender in World War I, and the German's "get even" site of the surrender of France in early WWII. Awesome!