Very unpleasant experience on EXPLORER OF THE SEAS

Hi everyone, I just went on my third cruise, 2nd time with RC and had a horrible experience. I was shocked and would love to see if someone here in the community was on the same trip and had a similar experience. I am pretty confident that this is going to be my last time working with Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas // Embarkation Date: 02/23/14 // Port of Calls: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Cococay

Here are just some of the incidents:

1. On our first night, Sun, Feb 23 sometime between 10p and 2a in THE CHAMBER, my friend requested a Michael Jackson song from the DJ. The DJ looked at her and said, “Where the **** did you come from,” as she walked away, I watched as the DJ had a disgusted look on his face. Immediately, I try to bring this to more than one bartenders’ attention and none of them could help and were ill-prepared on how to help a guest in a situation like this.

2. On the morning of Fri, Feb 28th around 8:30a EST in THE WINDJAMMER at the beverage station located on the port side of the ship towards the front side of the ship a staff member was very rude to me. The person working the station that fills the cups with orange juice, apple juice, water, etc snapped at me. I had a few empty cups and rather than just leave them anywhere, I thought I was doing him a favor by politely putting my used cups in his area so he could easily dispose of them. He snapped at me and said, “DON’T PUT THOSE THERE! THOSE ARE DIRTY!” His delivery was terrible.

3. Another day in THE WINDJAMMER I was using the ice machine in order to fill up my gym water bottle, a staff member snapped at me and said to stop what I was doing and pointed at a sign that said I wasn’t allowed to refill water bottles. I was completely in the wrong here as I didn’t see the sign but her delivery was terrible and very rude.

4. Despite Royal Caribbean’s campaign to “Save the Waves,” I noticed that the ships’ decks were littered with empty cups and beer bottles. Items that I had put down nearly 2 hours earlier were still sitting there. I can remember once incident where I took it upon myself to clean up multiple items and put them on the bar, the bartender simply looked at me and had no acknowledgment whatsoever. This was on Thursday, February 27th at THE SKYBAR.

5. The people sitting at our dinner table were celebrating a birthday one night and the wait staff failed to bring out a birthday cake that was pre-arranged by her mother, instead, it came out 2-days later with her name misspelled.

6. After taking advantage of the ship’s WIFI service for just 5-short minutes I was shocked to see that I was billed more than $20, thankfully, an individual in guest services helped me by reversing the overages.

To top it off, we were never able to go to Cococay because the weather made tendering to the island unsafe. I understand that this is out of everyone's control but how come they don't have some sort of make-good for these situations? Perhaps go to another island? Comp people's drinks that day? Maybe some cute little apology note in your stateroom with a $10 credit for the gift shop or something?

As has been mentioned, Cococay is missed very often due to rough seas. I have never been there because it was missed due to weather.

The DJ was certainly rude and I would have reported him/her to guest services AND mentioned it on my survey at the end of the cruise.

I don't see a major problem with the other issues, but crew members being "rude" can be subjective as some people are more sensitive than others. Again, if you were offended, you should have gone to guest services and reported it.

Tampons? Pads? Anything??? It's not the product but the lack if planning for 3000 people. Believe me it wasn't funny nor easy to deal with! I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Imagine day 3 not being able to leave your cabin on a 7 night trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People traveling with kids in diapers need to plan for ALL their needs, especially the diapers - why shouldn't adults as well?

Sounds like it was your lack of planning more than anything else. Does the cruise line need to plan for every foreseeable product than anyone of 3000 may need? Where does it end then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah ... you couldn't leave your room? Were you afraid of sharks jumping up and attacking from the ocean? I've been in tight situations like that before and have never been unable to leave my bedroom :rolleyes:

Sounds like it was your lack of planning more than anything else. Does the cruise line need to plan for every foreseeable product than anyone of 3000 may need? Where does it end then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it wasn't mire lack of planning! I brought more with me than most use in 6 months. That was not the point. They plan for every type of personal haba product that could be needed. It must be nice to know you will never come up short when dealing with a health issue that wasn't planned. It is a floating city with a full medical service I guess I was wrong looking for help. Well that said I guess best to complain about who wears a tie in the MDR and who couldn't get a song played. Sorry for the input.

Yeah ... you couldn't leave your room? Were you afraid of sharks jumping up and attacking from the ocean? I've been in tight situations like that before and have never been unable to leave my bedroom :rolleyes:

You may have a big shock in store for you when menopause hits...:D You won't believe the surprises!

You may have a big shock in store for you when menopause hits...:D You won't believe the surprises!

Really? When I came home I had emergency hysterectomy I fully understand. :)

If I may ... Slightly different experience I had a couple years back. Kinda a personal situation sorry if I offend anyone with the topic. Being about 49ish year old woman I had the monthly woman's issues. Never knew when or where I would need supplies so I packed many at all times. On the EOS i happened to need more supplies. Went to the promenade nothing to be bought on the ship. They didn't stock b4 leaving the port of Bayonne. Ok went to the medical facility nothing. Panic was setting in and I just kept getting sorry can't help you. I was actually stalking the ladies room asking passengers if I could buy some from them!!! I got no help in all the places I would have expected to. I went to the crown and anchor desk and pleaded case. Thank god the hostess was wonderful she helped me gather product from fellow workers. My cabin attendant also helped out. If not for them I would not have been able to leave my cabin. Returning home I contacted rccl upset about the lack of management skills for keeping such an important item properly stocked. With 3000. + people onboard large percentage of women and what about the possibility of all the young girls that might experience this for their first time?? I got no where with my complaints never acknowledged. I did not expect anything from them except an acknowledgement. The upper management on the ship really cared less. I still love rccl and really that was my only moment I felt livid. Because of a couple nice passengers and a couple wonderful workers my trip was saved. All is well that ends well I guess. Just bad timing.

I completely understand what you are saying. I had a similar situation about 10 yrs ago. Had brought lots of supplies but you never know.... I even had a prescription to keep things under control, but anyway... I remember there being a very limited stock in the on board store. I managed to find some in port thank goodness. I am surprised that the medical facility didn't have anything. I am not surprised that you had no response from anyone though. Maybe they did increase their supplies available after you complained though.

While we are on the subject of rude cruise ship staff, when they do greet you with good morning, how are you, how many reply with and how are you? Are you having a good day? My son who is high functioning autistic asks me everyday "how was your day". Just curious because when I respond with this I get lots of surprised looks. I am vacationing with the love of my life and they are missing there families like crazy. Sorry, guess it's the wine.

Great perspective. It seems that a lot of people can't see beyond their own little world. My daughter who is 21 years old and a model (both print and runway) always asks "how is your day going" she is actually interested in how her fellow man/woman is doing. You wouldn't believe how people respond.

I completely understand what you are saying. I had a similar situation about 10 yrs ago. Had brought lots of supplies but you never know.... I even had a prescription to keep things under control, but anyway... I remember there being a very limited stock in the on board store. I managed to find some in port thank goodness. I am surprised that the medical facility didn't have anything. I am not surprised that you had no response from anyone though. Maybe they did increase their supplies available after you complained though.

Thanks for your input I was trying to make a point and it kinda got off track guess I should know better lol :)

Great perspective. It seems that a lot of people can't see beyond their own little world. My daughter who is 21 years old and a model (both print and runway) always asks "how is your day going" she is actually interested in how her fellow man/woman is doing. You wouldn't believe how people respond.

Now we are all learning from our children. Our society needs to relearn some manners. I was always taught never to put myself first.

Please know that if the cruise line cancels Coco Cay, it's for your safety.

We were on the Enchantment in January and made it to Coco Cay. The morning was beautiful. Out of nowhere, a huge storm came and they couldn't get people off the island.

In fact, one tender was stuck for two hours, filled with people, trying to get passengers back on the ship. The "bridge" between the tender and the ship actually fell into the ocean. It was a nightmare. The Coco Cay staff just stood on the beach staring with their mouths open. That was when I knew this was way out of the ordinary.

Panicked passengers ended up waiting in line for 3 hours because they were afraid they weren't going to get back on the ship. (Not us, we spent that time in the bar sipping beverages wondering why everyone was waiting in line.)

But seriously, it got pretty scary. The tender ships were rolling like crazy. At one point, the staff told us it was possible we would be staying the night on the island. I have no idea where. Maybe the cabanas? Sounded kind of exciting but I would have rather been on the ship.

Fortunately, they eventually got everyone back on board safely. The captain made an announcement apologizing. The storm literally came out of nowhere, and they were not expecting such huge waves.

At that moment, I told my husband I would never complain about missing Coco Cay.

The DJ was certainly rude and I would have reported him/her to guest services AND mentioned it on my survey at the end of the cruise.

Just a question, but my parents just got off the splendour and they mentioned no surveys now (guest comment cards) when they asked for one were told they would be emailed it. They were on B2B and received survey whilst still on board during week 2, but the survey was only valid for 1 week, so by the time they got home couldn't complete for the first cruise.

Anyone else come across this on another ship recently?:confused:

How did this ruin YOUR cruise?

5. The people sitting at our dinner table were celebrating a birthday one night and the wait staff failed to bring out a birthday cake that was pre-arranged by her mother, instead, it came out 2-days later with her name misspelled.

Just a question, but my parents just got off the splendour and they mentioned no surveys now (guest comment cards) when they asked for one were told they would be emailed it. They were on B2B and received survey whilst still on board during week 2, but the survey was only valid for 1 week, so by the time they got home couldn't complete for the first cruise.

Anyone else come across this on another ship recently?:confused:

We did on our b2b cruises in January. We could not fill out the survey for the first cruise either. If we were given free internet time to complete it while on board during our second cruise we would have loved to fill it out.

No it wasn't mire lack of planning! I brought more with me than most use in 6 months. That was not the point. They plan for every type of personal haba product that could be needed. It must be nice to know you will never come up short when dealing with a health issue that wasn't planned. It is a floating city with a full medical service I guess I was wrong looking for help. Well that said I guess best to complain about who wears a tie in the MDR and who couldn't get a song played. Sorry for the input.

I'm sorry that you are getting snarky comments for this.

I have had similar predicaments and have been thankful that a majority of land based businesses provide for this issue. I too would have expected that the ship would have this type of provision. I'm glad that there were those that were willing to assist you. :)

What does being a model have to do with being nice?

She sounds like a nice girl though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi everyone, I just went on my third cruise, 2nd time with RC and had a horrible experience. I was shocked and would love to see if someone here in the community was on the same trip and had a similar experience. I am pretty confident that this is going to be my last time working with Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas // Embarkation Date: 02/23/14 // Port of Calls: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Cococay

Here are just some of the incidents:

1. On our first night, Sun, Feb 23 sometime between 10p and 2a in THE CHAMBER, my friend requested a Michael Jackson song from the DJ. The DJ looked at her and said, “Where the **** did you come from,” as she walked away, I watched as the DJ had a disgusted look on his face. Immediately, I try to bring this to more than one bartenders’ attention and none of them could help and were ill-prepared on how to help a guest in a situation like this.

2. On the morning of Fri, Feb 28th around 8:30a EST in THE WINDJAMMER at the beverage station located on the port side of the ship towards the front side of the ship a staff member was very rude to me. The person working the station that fills the cups with orange juice, apple juice, water, etc snapped at me. I had a few empty cups and rather than just leave them anywhere, I thought I was doing him a favor by politely putting my used cups in his area so he could easily dispose of them. He snapped at me and said, “DON’T PUT THOSE THERE! THOSE ARE DIRTY!” His delivery was terrible.

3. Another day in THE WINDJAMMER I was using the ice machine in order to fill up my gym water bottle, a staff member snapped at me and said to stop what I was doing and pointed at a sign that said I wasn’t allowed to refill water bottles. I was completely in the wrong here as I didn’t see the sign but her delivery was terrible and very rude.

4. Despite Royal Caribbean’s campaign to “Save the Waves,” I noticed that the ships’ decks were littered with empty cups and beer bottles. Items that I had put down nearly 2 hours earlier were still sitting there. I can remember once incident where I took it upon myself to clean up multiple items and put them on the bar, the bartender simply looked at me and had no acknowledgment whatsoever. This was on Thursday, February 27th at THE SKYBAR.

6. After taking advantage of the ship’s WIFI service for just 5-short minutes I was shocked to see that I was billed more than $20, thankfully, an individual in guest services helped me by reversing the overages.

To top it off, we were never able to go to Cococay because the weather made tendering to the island unsafe. I understand that this is out of everyone's control but how come they don't have some sort of make-good for these situations? Perhaps go to another island? Comp people's drinks that day? Maybe some cute little apology note in your stateroom with a $10 credit for the gift shop or something?

Regarding your point #4. so you are the one that people talked about always leaving her empty glasses on the deck for other people to trip over. naughty naughty

What does being a model have to do with being nice?

She sounds like a nice girl though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, as you are no doubt aware, very attractive women, especially models, are not usually very nice. I'm not sure if it's that they don't need to be since men will fawn over them anyway, or if starvation makes you mean. Probably the latter.

As always there are exceptions. Like my wife for one. Although she can be quite mean when dieting.

To the OP: As someone who sailed on Explorer 2 weeks prior to your cruise (Feb 9-16), I can tell you that tendering during a storm is not something you would have wanted. The tender I was on made it halfway towards the ship, before the crew deemed it unsafe to tender back to the ship, and returned to shore.

However, there was a one-hour 'Happy Hour' of half-priced drinks onboard because our time on the island was cut short because of said storm, and the cruise directors loaded the day with more activities to make up for missing island time.

Your cruise experience would've been extremely more pleasant had you been able to indulge in a 'Coco Loco.' :D