Very unpleasant experience on EXPLORER OF THE SEAS

I'm sorry to have learned about your bad experience on The Explorer.

A few questions for the OP

1. Did you go to Guest Relations to talk about the incident(s). A supervisor would have been happy to help you.

2. How did you respond to the crew member?

3. Did you email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com? His executive resolutions team would want to know how you were treated and that you did not have the"WOW" factor or Royal Advantage treatment that you were entitled to.

Please note OP that these crew members works long days but this is no excuse for them to treat you in the manner they did.

Please keep us posted.

Me thinks there is more to the story that the OP is leaving out. I was never spoken to in a rude manner by any of the staff members. Did the OP fill up his/her waterbottle more than once and were warned not to do so? I use the cups provided to fill up my waterbottle.

I think it would have taken something serious to have the DJ ask Who are you? I've found the DJ's to be open to requests and were happy to play them if they had the songs.

Since this was your second cruise on Royal Caribbean are you certain that you didn't have any types of problems on the first cruise? As other have stated it seems like Royal Caribbean may not be the cruise line for your needs.

In my opinion I would just let this"blow over". I have been spoken to rudely at a store but I did not make a federal scene over it. We are all humans and make mistakes. I would not stop sailing on Royal if 2 out of the hundreds of crew members did not treat me nice. I would have filled out a comment card and said who there were. If I was offered sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries as an apology then fine.

But it seems like you did not bring it up to the Guest Relations Office as its not really the bar tender's responsibility to hire retrain and fire the staff members. While they should have walked you to Guest Relations there is not really else they can do for you. Are you expecting a free cruise? You were not hurt so why are you "over thinking" about how you were treated.

If a crewmember told me curtly if I accidently filled my water bottle straight from the water filling station I would have smiled and thanked the crew member for reminding me as I value good hygiene. This crewmember could have potentially saved the cruise from a Noro Virus outbreak as you never know who has what virus and where the water bottle has been. I'm sorry you felt offended but it seems like you are sensitive.

I'm wondering how the OP responded to the crew member who was rude to him/her.

Anyone want to weigh in on my posting? On a side note this OP only has 4 postings on Cruise Critic so I'm inclined to believe the OP may or may not come back or sail on Royal not that this may or may not be related to the situation posted above. But just a note.

Edited by travelplus

Usually in one of the Cruise Compasses near the beginning of a cruise, there is a small short form for you to voice any complaints/issues/compliments. The form goes into a box at Guest Services. We fill out the form on every cruise with any issues and also lots of compliments. Within 2 days, we get calls from all the departments involved, thanking us for our comments, good or bad. Plus feedback is given to the crew members right away. We think this form is much more effective than the end of cruise survey because you can write exactly what you think and you get immediate results.

On our last cruise, the Hotel Director mentioned that very few people make use that form to voice their concerns or compliments.

Listen I am Dplus and have been on Explorer nearly 100 days and have not read this entire thread but enough to say don't blow smoke about the original post because this was our last cruise on the Explorer and it was our worst.

They have some real issues on there right now, to many new people as a lot of the regulars off on break or have either went to other ships or left rcl.

Know a lot of the crew and the ones I know are struggling with all the new people at once it really puts more pressure on them just like it does at any employment, stress level is very high.

Windjammer does has issues, my brother heading out next week and I told him stay away from there as much as possible, slow in cleaning is an understatement. Fruit was worst I ever had on a cruise.

I love the Explorer and for our last cruise to have multiple issues was sad.

There was some good, Dplus lounge was good, Miram at the sports deck is fantastic, and the singers that did the 70's show was the best voices they ever had on the Explorer and Lee and Dre were great.

I understand we all love rcl and cruising but quit trying to defend rcl when someone doesn't have a good time, explaining about Coco cay is fine but they have some issues that need cleaned up and trust me they read this board so post your opinion.

Next stop Quantum

Listen I am Dplus and have been on Explorer nearly 100 days and have not read this entire thread but enough to say don't blow smoke about the original post because this was our last cruise on the Explorer and it was our worst.

They have some real issues on there right now, to many new people as a lot of the regulars off on break or have either went to other ships or left rcl.

Know a lot of the crew and the ones I know are struggling with all the new people at once it really puts more pressure on them just like it does at any employment, stress level is very high.

Windjammer does has issues, my brother heading out next week and I told him stay away from there as much as possible, slow in cleaning is an understatement. Fruit was worst I ever had on a cruise.

There was some good, Dplus lounge was good, Miram at the sports deck is fantastic, and the singers that did the 70's show was the best voices they ever had on the Explorer and Lee and Dre were great.

I understand we all love rcl and cruising but quit trying to defend rcl when someone doesn't have a good time, explaining about Coco cay is fine but they have some issues that need cleaned up and trust me they read this board so post your opinion.

Next stop Quantum

Most of us that responded are not saying the issues aren't valid or doubting that they actually happened. For the most part we are just stating the issues in general should not add up to enough to outweigh all of the good the OP later posted about and also doesn't warrant the need to not cruise RCCL again. At least it wouldn't for the majority of the people who responded.

Bad service should never just be accepted but the seriousness that you apply to that bad serivce, how you deal with it at the time and how it affects your overall vacation experience, while it does vary from person to person, should have a much higher tolerance level than what the OP appeared to have.

Next stop Quantum

Wow, I am really not happy reading this as our first ever RCCL cruise is 2 weeks from today on Explorer. Hope we are not in for a big disappointment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have been on many different types of vacations. I have encountered rude staff everywhere. But I can not remember one time that a cruise ship employee has ever been rude to me. I may have happened but and I just can't remember.

With that said, can you imagine cruise ship employees having to be happy and nice all the time? Day in and day out. Then they have to start all over the next week with a whole new set of passengers. And they have to be nice to all the rude and demanding passengers. They work long hours for minimal pay for you. Remember, everyone has a bad day every now and then. Not an excuse but a fact.

Something I have always tried to teach my son. You need to try to be nice to everyone. You don't know what they may be going through in their life. You speaking to them in a kind way just might make their day.:)

Well put!! I work one time a week in a restaurant (the rest of the time self employed} but people can be so rude and nasty and treat you as low class citizens instead of a human being throwing bags of food at employees because of mistakes and just treating people badly! Over 21 years luckily I've only experienced a few but if everyone would treat someone how you like to be treated we'd have a better world!

I was on the Freedom OTS last month for B/B cruises. Every B/B guest was given a five minute free online credit to allow them to complete the survey during the second week. It took me eight minutes, but they tried. Maybe they will expand that to ten minutes if they learn five minutes is not enough time.

We were given 25 free internet minutes on our last cruise (February 23).

I was on the Freedom OTS last month for B/B cruises. Every B/B guest was given a five minute free online credit to allow them to complete the survey during the second week. It took me eight minutes, but they tried. Maybe they will expand that to ten minutes if they learn five minutes is not enough time.

Probably after I bitterly complained in January! ;)

Next stop Quantum

What D+ lounge? :confused: :confused:

Wow, I am really not happy reading this as our first ever RCCL cruise is 2 weeks from today on Explorer. Hope we are not in for a big disappointment.

It's up to you weather you let things affect you the same way it did these people. From your post of "first ever RCCL" and your 5K + post there must be other cruises. :confused: if everyone of them were "perfect" I'd probably agree with your last sentence.

@Ocean View

Some of the replies you got were nasty and unnecessary. I feel horrible you had that happen while on vacation and now have people telling you it's your own fault. Terrible. Obviously, people missed your point.

Do they not sell any supplies in the sundry store on board? I have never noticed.

Even if you plan ahead, unexpected circumstances can happen. Seeing that the "monthly issue" is something a large number of women on the ship deal with, I would assume they would stock at least a minimal supply. Actually, I would think they would also stock a couple packs of diapers.

Yes, people should plan ahead and pack what they need, maybe even more than they think they need. And no, the ship can't come to the rescue for every item/situation that might come up. However, these type items are an every day fact for many women and you would think they would sell something that is a common every day item. As they do sun screen, for example.

Sorry about the rant. I got on a roll. The comments Ocean View got really struck a nerve.

@Ocean View

Some of the replies you got were nasty and unnecessary. I feel horrible you had that happen while on vacation and now have people telling you it's your own fault. Terrible. Obviously, people missed your point.

Do they not sell any supplies in the sundry store on board? I have never noticed.

Even if you plan ahead, unexpected circumstances can happen. Seeing that the "monthly issue" is something a large number of women on the ship deal with, I would assume they would stock at least a minimal supply. Actually, I would think they would also stock a couple packs of diapers.

Yes, people should plan ahead and pack what they need, maybe even more than they think they need. And no, the ship can't come to the rescue for every item/situation that might come up. However, these type items are an every day fact for many women and you would think they would sell something that is a common every day item. As they do sun screen, for example.

Sorry about the rant. I got on a roll. The comments Ocean View got really struck a nerve.

Thanks ! They do stock but did not re stock before this voyage. And for what it is worth I did plan but had no idea I would pick this wk to have trouble. That said again I wish I could thank those people who stepped up and helped me. And not one of them would take a cent from me! I had strangers asking other strangers if they could help me out! It really saved my wk!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, really. It doesn't matter if a guest requests Michael Jackson or Perry Como. The DJ doesn't have to be rude about it. But this shouldn't have ruined the OP's entire cruise. Take your complaint to the proper authorities and then let it go.

I agree that the DJ was unexplainably rude. Whatever music is requested, it was the DJ's job to handle the request politely and tactfully. I think the OP has every reason to be unhappy about this.

There were enough incidents over the week to set an unfortunate tone to the cruise. Even if she could have let it all go, sometimes it is not what is said to you by a crew member, but how it is said.

Sounds like it was your lack of planning more than anything else. Does the cruise line need to plan for every foreseeable product than anyone of 3000 may need? Where does it end then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the cruise line should plan for things that passengers may forget.....it ends where the cruise line thinks it should....

Edited by JetsFanCruiser

I learned that you Brits used "pi$$ed" to mean "drunk." I was rather taken aback (a nice nautical expression for you BTW) when in London as a youth I was told very loudly "I'm so pi$$ed." I'm like "sorry what did I do?"

"Pissin' the night away... Pissin' the night away" :) Tub thumping!

Hi everyone, I just went on my third cruise, 2nd time with RC and had a horrible experience. I was shocked and would love to see if someone here in the community was on the same trip and had a similar experience. I am pretty confident that this is going to be my last time working with Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas // Embarkation Date: 02/23/14 // Port of Calls: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Cococay

Here are just some of the incidents:

1. On our first night, Sun, Feb 23 sometime between 10p and 2a in THE CHAMBER, my friend requested a Michael Jackson song from the DJ. The DJ looked at her and said, “Where the **** did you come from,” as she walked away, I watched as the DJ had a disgusted look on his face. Immediately, I try to bring this to more than one bartenders’ attention and none of them could help and were ill-prepared on how to help a guest in a situation like this.

2. On the morning of Fri, Feb 28th around 8:30a EST in THE WINDJAMMER at the beverage station located on the port side of the ship towards the front side of the ship a staff member was very rude to me. The person working the station that fills the cups with orange juice, apple juice, water, etc snapped at me. I had a few empty cups and rather than just leave them anywhere, I thought I was doing him a favor by politely putting my used cups in his area so he could easily dispose of them. He snapped at me and said, “DON’T PUT THOSE THERE! THOSE ARE DIRTY!” His delivery was terrible.

3. Another day in THE WINDJAMMER I was using the ice machine in order to fill up my gym water bottle, a staff member snapped at me and said to stop what I was doing and pointed at a sign that said I wasn’t allowed to refill water bottles. I was completely in the wrong here as I didn’t see the sign but her delivery was terrible and very rude.

4. Despite Royal Caribbean’s campaign to “Save the Waves,” I noticed that the ships’ decks were littered with empty cups and beer bottles. Items that I had put down nearly 2 hours earlier were still sitting there. I can remember once incident where I took it upon myself to clean up multiple items and put them on the bar, the bartender simply looked at me and had no acknowledgment whatsoever. This was on Thursday, February 27th at THE SKYBAR.

5. The people sitting at our dinner table were celebrating a birthday one night and the wait staff failed to bring out a birthday cake that was pre-arranged by her mother, instead, it came out 2-days later with her name misspelled.

6. After taking advantage of the ship’s WIFI service for just 5-short minutes I was shocked to see that I was billed more than $20, thankfully, an individual in guest services helped me by reversing the overages.

To top it off, we were never able to go to Cococay because the weather made tendering to the island unsafe. I understand that this is out of everyone's control but how come they don't have some sort of make-good for these situations? Perhaps go to another island? Comp people's drinks that day? Maybe some cute little apology note in your stateroom with a $10 credit for the gift shop or something?

I just love No. 3 - that is the most disgusting and gross thing you can do and I've seen it done many times. Then you wonder why people are getting sick on ships (YUCK). The other stuff is just non-sense. The Explorer has one of the best staffs and we've never encountered anyone rude on the many times we've been on her.

I wouldn't worry. Explorer, and most importantly her crew, are top notch. DW and I will also be on that cruise, our third on Explorer, second for this itinerary. We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't love the ship that much.

I hope everyone realizes that this is a big joke... the op's name... TheLastTime... joined on March 2... and has only posted to this thread. I wouldn't take this too seriously... I think this is the first and last time we'll hear from the op! I don't doubt the OP was on the cruise... I just think the thread was started for no good reason... :rolleyes:

Life is a ten day cycle is what I told my mgmnt team

7 days things go right if you prepare for issues

2 days something bad can happen and you will decide in most cases what success you will have and your attitude if good can push it up to one of the 7 days

1 day is why the heck am I here and attitude can make this go up to the 2 days or if you don't have the right attitude you can have a few of those 1 days in a row and may look for a change

Cruising is no different but most of us deal with an issue and push it up to a better situation but some people don't, I booked 2 more open ended cruises while on board so I am a loyal rcl cruiser but I just did my scoring from their email they send you and posted my lowest scores ever.

They need to know feedback and I am someone that understands what happens when someone doesn't get an excellent, but I know what rcl can do and this last cruise was not up to their standards they have set for them and me.

We are about to sail with freedom for the 4 th and 5 th time come sept and love it. We were on explorer last December and have to say we will never go back on explorer again. We noticed the difference between the two ships. The people on freedom seem to be a lot more happier compared to explorer. As for not stopping at cococay it's all about safety first and I'm sure any other cruise line would take you to a place that was unsafe as well! And welcome to ship life and internet. Your on a ship and any one would have told you that ship and internet = big bucks we tend to go with out any access to the internet unless we can get some on the islands. Don't not have another sail with RCCL why not try a different ship? Before you give up on them...

Our experienced included my sons being verbally abused as they got in a lift by a guy who was drunk.... And one of my sons being physically abused by another kid... We couldn't wait to get off that ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! It just doesn't make sense to me because people with the the beverage packages can refill the cups that they get, isn't that the same thing?

You may have misunderstood, I am not leaving my trash all over the place. I am referring to putting an empty cup near my chair on the deck when I am finished with it. After picking it up to walk it to the bar I noticed many other empty cups and trash on the deck on my way to the bar.

Maybe, cruising just isn't for me.

I agree with you on your last sentence. I think cruising just isn´t for you.

I also agree. If a little bit of trash ruins your vacation, then cruising at least on a mass market cruise line is not for you. If you had started cruising in the 80s and early 90s then I can see where you would be annoyed, by the changes in service level, but from your comments you have not. This is the state of cruising these days.

If you want that flawless, anticipate your every need service, where every plate and cup is picked up the moment you set it down you are gonna need to move up the cruise line ladder to a more luxury line.

This will be our 8th time on the ship I've seen the best and the not so good on her. Over all it is a good ship if want to pick out all the little things you can do that for the whole cruise,,,,so why go cruising stay home. As on any ship it can alway's be better some try there hardest some don't.