Bruge walking tour help

madera1

Not sure if this is the right section of CC to post this but will give it a try.

I have been researching walking tours of Bruge on CC and trip advisor as we will be visiting while on the Prisendam in Sept. I located various posts about a fabulous walking tour done by LBear but the links are no longer operational. I did note that a few long time and current Holland America posters had used the walking tour and some even mentioned downloading the maps. I am wondering if anyone still has these and could make them available?

Not sure if this is the right section of CC to post this but will give it a try.

I have been researching walking tours of Bruge on CC and trip advisor as we will be visiting while on the Prisendam in Sept. I located various posts about a fabulous walking tour done by LBear but the links are no longer operational. I did note that a few long time and current Holland America posters had used the walking tour and some even mentioned downloading the maps. I am wondering if anyone still has these and could make them available?

Hello

LB ceased paying for his great website to be hosted about 6 months ago so that's why they are no longer available :( I did print it out and used it to make this

but it's nowhere near as comprehensive, so I hope you can find it another way. All the best, Tony Edited by Cornishpastyman1

My Dear Sis and I visited Bruges on a land trip in 2011. The old part of the city is lovely and very walkable. If I remember correctly, we went to a Bruges tourism website and found good info on walking tours there. There were also maps available at the railroad station and in the little sundrie/tobacco shops.

If you have seen The Monuments Men, you saw the Michaelangelo Madonna. She is still there in Bruges, and is exquisite. The Church of Our Lady off Gruuthestraat in the museum area is not in the general area of some of the other tourist sites. Walking along the canals, enjoying the activities and shops around the squares, there is so much to see. Your problem will be that your visit has time constraints.

Have you Googled "Bruge Walking Tours"? We visited the city on our own while touring Europe. The Old City is very accessible for walking. The streets are cobble stones though. You can also rent bikes. This is one of our favorite cities. You feel like you are living back in history.

We were in Brugge last May as part of a roll call group that had arranged for a private taxi pickup at the ship. We were dropped off in the town centre and spent an amazing day just wandering on our own with Gigianne and her husband.

First on the agenda was to take a canal boat tour which was well worth the time and effort. Then we wandered and marvelled at the chocolate shops with the window displays just begging to be photographed. The chocolate gifts I bought to take home somehow didn't make it through the rest of the cruise. ;)

We found a nice restaurant to have lunch, having been directed there by other cruise passengers we met on the street. Upon arriving we encountered some other roll call members there so we were all seated in one area and enjoyed a good time over lunch.

After some more wandering on our own we met up with the taxis which were there at the appointed time and place. We were back at the ship with lots of time to spare and for us Bruges was a very worthwhile visit.

I have a pdf version of Lair Bear's (or b r e n t j e s's) walking tour of Bruges. We used it on our first visit to Bruges in 2011 and found it quite accurate, but you may want to verify some of the train information now.

Drop me an email at Rich and I'll send it to you. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

We've been to Bruge many times & have simply walked around it with a little map .. Very easy city as it's mostly in a circle..

However, on the Ports of call Cruise Critic board I searched for Belgium & came up with this site..

There are many threads about Bruge including walking tours.. LBEAR's thread is on this page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=48683208

Hope this helps.. BTW take a look at the beautiful pics in post no. 5 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411280&highlight=belgium

Hope you enjoy your cruise, Bruges is one of our favorite cities..Admit I'm spoiled as have been to Belgium many many times when I worked for the Airlines..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

It was a great day Sapper - enjoyed it immensely. Rich - I have friends who will be visiting Bruges in August - can you email me that PDF please.

As soon as I get off my duff and go to the other computer I'll send it to ya! :p

CC is the best...Thanks to everyone who responded. I have viewed the utube video and have emailed for the copy of the pdf. I will also go back to the previous posts that were attributed to LB. I plan to post this on our roll call and make copies for others as well.

We are spending a week in Belgium prior to our Baltic cruise in May, primarily to explore Brugge and Ghent.

Thanks for all the info posted here... I am really excited to see this region (especially with no time constraints!) :)

CC is the best...Thanks to everyone who responded. I have viewed the utube video and have emailed for the copy of the pdf. I will also go back to the previous posts that were attributed to LB. I plan to post this on our roll call and make copies for others as well.

You should have mail! :D

We are spending a week in Belgium prior to our Baltic cruise in May, primarily to explore Brugge and Ghent.

Thanks for all the info posted here... I am really excited to see this region (especially with no time constraints!) :)

I highly recommend a trip to Ypres and the surrounding area if you are at all interested in WWI history. You'll find the Menin Gate (last post is supposed to be very memorable) and the In Flanders Fields Museum within walking distance of each other. We only had time for a quickie tour but could have spent days in the countryside with all the memorials and cemeteries in the area. It can be a solemn time (like Normandy can be) so breaking it up with fun trips wouldn't hurt.

Hope you have a great time, whatever you do! :)

Edited by 0bnxshs