Oceanview Café for dinner

dan722

We have sailed with Celebrity several times but have never tried the Oceanview Café for dinner. I’m curious what they have as far as selections the dinner. We have had lunch and breakfast there occasionally so is it more of the same as lunch? How was a different if at all from the rest of the day? Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks

We have sailed with Celebrity several times but have never tried the Oceanview Café for dinner. I’m curious what they have as far as selections the dinner. We have had lunch and breakfast there occasionally so is it more of the same as lunch? How was a different if at all from the rest of the day? Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks

On the Summit recently, in the evening the differences in the Oceanview Cafe are:

- They grill steaks, pork chops, hamburgers, etc. to order at the back of the Cafe.

- A selection of Indian food (not always served at lunch).

- Sushi

- Mexican or other ethnic food (in addition to Indian)

There is the normal selection of salads, traditional entrees similar to lunch, the pasta bar, pizza station, and desserts.

After a long shore day or if you just don't feel like getting dressed for dinner, the Oceanview Cafe is a nice choice and it is so much quieter than the dining room. You can get soft drinks, beer, bottled water, etc.

I found a good selection in the Cafe for dinner. I was doing steak and baked potatoes with all the fixings. Yum. They switch things up- besides the standard fare of sushi, made to order pasta, and pizza there are ethnic dishes and desserts. On some cruises we've eaten there almost nightly.

We found that if you're not a fan of "foreign" food there is a very limited selection in the buffet at dinner on Silhouette. We didn't realise that you can order room service from the MDR menu, but will be doing this on Millenium in 3 weeks if we don't want to go to the MDR for any reason

I think it depend what class of ship you are on. The choices on the S class of ship are a lot better than on the M class. On our T/A last fall the on the Equinox they had whole rounds of beef or pork every night. One night they had a whole suckling pig. The food was very good. The M class the sushi was ok and the stir fry was good but not impressed with the rest. Food is very subjective so the best thing to do is just try it and see. If you don't like one thing try something else.

Limited selection on the Constellation, tried it once only. Didn't try it on Reflection. Would go to Oceanview after MDR to "top up" if nothing appealed to us in MDR. Will be on 14 day Southern on Eclipse Mar 22. Did anyone eat at Oceanview there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. We ate a couple times in the late afternoon/evening period in the Oceanview Cafe. Good news? It's not very crowded. Yes, not as many "stations" are open, but there's sushi and a decent range of options, including pizza, pasta, etc. Is it the "greatest" and best? Probable not. But it works and gives flexibility/options when your schedule requires it. Below are a few of my visuals from recently, plus in doing the Solstice in June 2011. Any added questions? Check out my postings for more info/background on this ship, its entertainment, other dining venues, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,798 views for this fun posting.

For the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, here are two visuals samples, including getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area. The pizza is very good when it is hot and coming fresh right out of the oven. First is a picture at lunch when things are busier.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

SolsticeOceanviewPizza.jpg

From the Oceanview Buffet in the evening, here is the sushi selections in this area.:

SolsticeOceanviewSushi.jpg

The Oceanview Cafe was very popular and busy for breakfast and lunch during our Solstice cruise earlier this year. Maybe, even more so than what we experienced in June 2011. “Popular” also means busy, which is a mixed challenge to navigate around and with the crowds there. BUT, we liked its great variety and speed. Ours was a busy cruise and saving time was of value. Our favorite was to get our food and have a table on the open, back of the ship with the views and fresh sea air. Below is one example for people being served, getting their food during the mid-day period.:

SolsticeMisc111_zpscb3c0362.jpg

On an Equinox Mediterranean itinerary a while back we missed our dinner time so we went to the buffet. Like Ozark74 above, we found whole roast suckling pig! It was the single best thing we ate on the cruise. If we could count on things with that much character in Oceanview every night, we might never go to MDR.

On the Equinox last week we had dinner at the Ocean View and we had a great meal, sushi, indian food, asian food and it has been the place to enjoy dinner outside. Coming from a "cold place" it's always a pleasure to eat outside in February!! Would have eaten more often at the buffet if needed.

On the Equinox last week we had dinner at the Ocean View and we had a great meal, sushi, indian food, asian food and it has been the place to enjoy dinner outside. Coming from a "cold place" it's always a pleasure to eat outside in February!! Would have eaten more often at the buffet if needed.

We are Elite + and have been on many cruises and we love the Oceanview Cafe!!! Flexible hours, open seating and sushi!!! The Captain and staff eat there on many cruises!!! If they eat there, so can we!! Otherwise, we like Tuscan Grill and Lawn Club Grill!!!

we were just on the silhouette at the end the february.we only ate in the ocean view cafe and the specialty restaurants for dinner. we never ate in the main dining room. the ocean view Cafe has so many selections. And a great salad bar. I enjoyed the sushi every evening. the grill to order steak and chicken are so tender . also enjoyed several good Italian entrees. Tuscan Grille was wonderful for lasagna and filet mignon steak. Enjoyed the lobster prepared tableside at Murano's restaurant. Six o clock was

too early for us in 830 was too late. So we went whenever we wanted in the evening to the ocean view cafe

We really enjoy the Oceanview cafe for dinner. We find there's plenty for us to choose from.

Does anyone know what time it closes in the evening? We have a cruise on Millenium coming up in a few days time and we have 2 night shore excursion that dont get back till 9.30pm. Just wondering if we will still be able to get dinner there at that time.

Spent 15 nights on the Century in Jan. and ate at the evening buffett 11 nights!.

First it was quite! Besides the cook to order steak and pork chops there was always salmon and chicken. I love the custom stir fry the most. It is offered on all the ships.

When we returned from an excursion at 9.30 pm they had staff waiting to tell us that the buffet as being kept open for us.

In fact we ran as fast as we could to Blu and, with some reluctance, they allowed us to eat there.

We were an hour late back (should have returned at 8.30) because it took so long to get off the ship.

I was not very amused as shorter tours went off before us - we sat for nearly an hour in the theatre and were almost the last people to get off.

Still eating at the buffet should definitely be an option for a 9.30 return.

I would think 9:30.But can be wrong...... Should have kept the dailies.

I just checked the Solstice "Celebrity Today" copies from our Australia to New Zealand cruise in January and last month.

The main Oceanview Cafe hours for each evening were 6:00 to 9:30 pm. Sushi started and was available at 5:30 pm, running until 9:30 pm. The listings also said there was the "Late Night Snacks" there from 9:30 pm to 1 am. Don't know exact what was offered during that later period, but I would guess that pizza would be one of those potentials during that period. Then, there is also the 24-hour room service potential.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 41,191 views for this fun posting.

I think it depend what class of ship you are on. The choices on the S class of ship are a lot better than on the M class. On our T/A last fall the on the Equinox they had whole rounds of beef or pork every night. One night they had a whole suckling pig. The food was very good. The M class the sushi was ok and the stir fry was good but not impressed with the rest. Food is very subjective so the best thing to do is just try it and see. If you don't like one thing try something else.

In December, the food on Equinox at night was outstanding. Always some carving station along with stir fry etc. There were several nights neither of us wanted to endure a 2.5 hour dinner and, for us, there was plenty of good food available. Then again, we aren't particularly picky eaters. There's always room service available and you can order whatever is on the dinner menu in the MDR and eat-in.

Have only been on S class ships, but will know more about M class next month.

Can someone talk a little more about the grilled to order steak option? Where exactly is it located, and are other grilled to order items available there? How is the quality? We have actually never eaten dinner in the buffet, but we are on a port intensive Med cruise in May and might want a casual alternative on some evenings. I've always heard that Celebrity's evening buffet is fairly limited --- perhaps that is changing?

We would love to hear about anyone's steak grilled to order in the Oceanview on Summit. We sail in 3 weeks (:D) and may not want to get all dolled up for formal night. We do love the food on formal nights but are trying to pack extra light--more of an issue for the guys' suits. Thanks!

The steaks in the Cafe aren't filet mignon but they are good ones. If you don't want to dress up for formal night- another option would be Qsine- which is casual (no t-shirts, flip flops or hats) and has a great dish called Painter's Mignon. Pair that with the Qsine Greens and you'll be in heaven.

Two years ago on the Constellation, my DH and I at at the buffet every meal for 14 nights and were more than happy with the choices. On the Constellation, the cook to order entrees were at the very end just as you exit to the Sunset Bar,. The options available then were, steak, chicken breast, pork chops and salmon. There was usually some sort of carved meat, along with choices of starch and vegetables. We loved how quiet and un-hurried the pace was there in the evening. This is also where the cruise staff eat and we sat and conversed with the cruise director and even the captain, his wife and son on several evenings.

Don't forget, if you don't do formal (and we don't) you can also, at least on the Summit, put on something decent but not dressy and eat at Bistro on 5. It's a small and simpler meal (mostly crepes, but also a few sandwiches and salads), but perfectly adequate for one night. It's inexpensive, too ($5) and quiet. On our second formal night, we were the only two people there for the first 15 minutes which was a nice change from the hustle and bustle going on everywhere else on the ship.

There's also room service, but that is REALLY limited unless you want to pay extra for their extra charge entrees - which, of course, are the best ones! I got spaghetti (edible, but not great) and my husband tried the chicken sandwich with one of the (watery) soups. At least the cheesecake with blueberry topping was good, and we didn't have to cook or wash dishes!