Questions about cruise documents.

bobbycruiser

Can you explain how you check your own luggage? We have only done a 2 night CTN on NCL in NYC, so I am just trying to picture how this works for our 7 night cruise this summer. I can remember the porters everywhere, but not anywhere to self check! I would love some advise on this, so I can figure out if it is worth it or not for our family of 6!!

You just each wheel your own luggage from your car if you park at the port into the very large cargo elevator and into the checkin area A rep will then show you where to put your luggage before you go with your carry on luggage to the embark area.

All the porters do for you us take them from you and bring them to this point. You can do this yourself. No need for a porter.

The porters are there to make money and for those that want to use them fine. But you are not required to do so.

We are a family of 6 and only travel with 1 checked bag and 6 roll ons. Very easy very simple. If you have someone who can't wheel there own luggage just strap it into another piece or use 2 hands

We are a family if 6 and everyone knows there job.

Seriously if you fly you check one pieces with liquids etc and carry a 21 inch roll on each

Last Europe cruise we has 6 roll ons and 1 checked and each if us had our personal bag.

Each personal bag was securely attached to the wheel on

The large bag was wheeled by one person and her wheel on was wheeled by her sister

We use 2 hands each. No problem

And by all means travel light!!!!

Edited by Crusin6

Assume NCL is like any other cruise-line / port - you simply take your bags 6 feet to where the bags are being dropped off and leave them there. No need to tip the guys there as their job is to receive bags at the drop off point.

If you wish to tip somebody to carry your bags 6 feet then feel free.

I honestly can see no point.

Of course if they carry a dozen bags for you a long way, then tip away - but when I have brought them half way across a city, I see no point in getting help for the last 6 feet!

Exactly!!!

I am amazed how many pax actually use the porters and think they are required to do so

Too much "kool aid".

We are a family of 6 and only travel with 1 checked bag and 6 roll ons. Very easy very simple. If you have someone who can't wheel there own luggage just strap it into another piece or use 2 hands

We are a family if 6 and everyone knows there job.

We are three adults and three kids and live in the NYC area…so, we will be dropped off! It is good to know about "skipping" the porters and doing it ourselves. I do think that the little ones (2 under 6 y.o.) can't be counted on to take care of their bags…but I think the rest of us could. I am glad to know this though.

As far as traveling light…we normally do, only on a cruise it is a bit different! I do think I am going to have to take more clothes for the little ones than normal. Our last vacations have all been Disney related where I had a washer/dryer in room!! That isn't the case here :p My little ones do know how to create laundry! I think I am going to have to plan carefully or end up having to pay for laundry services. That said, I am glad to know about the porters!! I am happy to tip and/or pay for services when needed, but this is just silly :D

Is the self check-in area only accessible from the parking garage? We've sailed out of NYC twice now, but we don't park at the pier. I've never noticed a self check-in area, but if there is one, I would prefer to check our bags in ourselves. I don't mind tipping the porters, but if we can check them in ourselves, it seems like one less opportunity to lose them.

We don't roll our airline carryon-size bags on board a cruise - we check them and carry valuables in a backpack.

Is the self check-in area only accessible from the parking garage? We've sailed out of NYC twice now, but we don't park at the pier. I've never noticed a self check-in area, but if there is one, I would prefer to check our bags in ourselves. I don't mind tipping the porters, but if we can check them in ourselves, it seems like one less opportunity to lose them.

We don't roll our airline carryon-size bags on board a cruise - we check them and carry valuables in a backpack.

I have never seen it obviously marked - but is easy to spot. It is an area full of suitcases. :)

Or simply ask anyone as to where we take our suitcases. They will direct you.

There is usually NCL (or any other cruise line) staff there to assist people as well.

It might look different between various ports, but it is the same principle whether you are in Southampton, Miami, Sydney or Barcelona.

Some ports have small trains that run round the area that collect luggage as well. As long as your case is marked with your cabin it will find you just fine :)

Yes you just get off the elevators and roll you stuff thru the same door. Just be careful not to bump into those porters doing the same thing you are! Lol

Also did you know that Ncl has a set up for those of us that do roll on our 21 inch luggage? They have a venue set up on board where you can check it until your cabin is ready and you can go do whatever you want without lugging it. This is very safe and crew is constantly guarding it and only hands it back to you with your receipt. You know it got onboard and don't need to worry about what time it will be delivered to your cabin. Go to the

Mdr. Buffet. Pool. You can do it with your carry on stuff behind you.

The reason we travel with 21 inch stuff is so we don't have to worry about it and it never leaves our sides.

To check it at the pier defeats this purpose IMHO. I have heard of pier checked luggage being misplaced not often but it certainly does happen

It's just us but we like to know 7 and sometimes 21 days of clothingis always right next to us and locked

Edited by Crusin6

We are three adults and three kids and live in the NYC area…so, we will be dropped off! It is good to know about "skipping" the porters and doing it ourselves. I do think that the little ones (2 under 6 y.o.) can't be counted on to take care of their bags…but I think the rest of us could. I am glad to know this though.

As far as traveling light…we normally do, only on a cruise it is a bit different! I do think I am going to have to take more clothes for the little ones than normal. Our last vacations have all been Disney related where I had a washer/dryer in room!! That isn't the case here :p My little ones do know how to create laundry! I think I am going to have to plan carefully or end up having to pay for laundry services. That said, I am glad to know about the porters!! I am happy to tip and/or pay for services when needed, but this is just silly :D

Listen to what happened to us once. We were on the dcl magic when the kids were aged 3 to 13. All 6 of us. Hurricaine a France's blew thru and we were "trapped" in the gulf for 4 extra days and 3 nights. We never even got back to canaveral and were debarked in fll. Thankfully we were on JetBlue and they got us back to JFK the same day but others had 3 and 4 day waits for flights. Btw Disney brought them to the parks for a little r and r gratis while they waited around. Lol

What did I learn from this. Bring extra underware!! We always have insurance and extra meds but the underware thing escaped us. We survived though. Lol

I have never seen it obviously marked - but is easy to spot. It is an area full of suitcases. :)

Or simply ask anyone as to where we take our suitcases. They will direct you.

There is usually NCL (or any other cruise line) staff there to assist people as well.

It might look different between various ports, but it is the same principle whether you are in Southampton, Miami, Sydney or Barcelona.

Some ports have small trains that run round the area that collect luggage as well. As long as your case is marked with your cabin it will find you just fine :)

Thanks, I've never seen this. On our two cruises out of NYC, we didn't see any area full of suitcases - just porters collecting them and putting them on carts outdoors. On our first cruise, we took our suitcases indoors and were directed back outside to check them with the porters. They were 21" carry-on size bags. Second cruise, we just checked them with the porters. Both times, I haven't seen a place to take your luggage to - unless you mean putting them on the carts yourself rather than handing them to a porter to put on a cart? While I can do that, I would still tip the guy since he is presumably pushing the cart somewhere sand ensuring that the bags make it to the ship.

On a b2b they take care of the second cruise at the purser's desk near the end of the first cruise.

We do take the paperwork for the second cruise. I wouldn't even show it during the first Check-in. It would probably just cause confusion.

Yea, I got both. I have almost no use for those coupons and I just have the porters tag my luggage since the ones they use at the ports are more sturdy than a printed piece of paper that I would print.

Actually print the tags and seal them with clear tape. That way we get inside faster. Docs are very simple. You are good to go.

Do not use a debit card use credit card only and bring a backup credit card as well

Agree. I would check with your bank to find out what the hold on your account would be which lasts even after the cruise ends.

Agree. I would check with your bank to find out what the hold on your account would be which lasts even after the cruise ends.

Agreed. I just put up cash and add to it if I need. Call me old fashioned, but I just like to pay cash. If I can't pay cash , then I can't afford it. I have a CC that I use for "splurge" or emergencies..has a high limit, and I never use a third of it at a time. I also pay it off when I get home.

Agreed. I just put up cash and add to it if I need. Call me old fashioned, but I just like to pay cash. If I can't pay cash , then I can't afford it. I have a CC that I use for "splurge" or emergencies..has a high limit, and I never use a third of it at a time. I also pay it off when I get home.

If you pay it all off when you get home just use a credit card for the cruise and keep your cash.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to hold on to my cash rather than give it to the guest services clerk. I just don't give my cash to anyone ahead of time. I also like earning the credit card points. About $1000 back via check in the past 12 months. Bonuses and rewards etc.

I also like the assurances that come with credit card use

As long as the card is paid off promptly there is no reason to not use it. I am more terrified of handing cash over to the cruise line than overstepping my comfort zone on a credit card. Which if I did would be paid off exactly 4 weeks after I received my statement. Which in essence gives me close to 2 months of free credit. If course no e if this works when you can't afford to pay the bill in the first place which is not your case anyway

Edited by Crusin6

[quote name='Crusin6']If you pay it all off when you get home just use a credit card for the cruise and keep your cash.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to hold on to my cash rather than give it to the guest services clerk. I just don't give my cash to anyone ahead of time. I also like earning the credit card points. About $1000 back via check in the past 12 months. Bonuses and rewards etc.

I also like the assurances that come with credit card use

As long as the card is paid off promptly there is no reason to not use it. I am more terrified of handing cash over to the cruise line than overstepping my comfort zone on a credit card. Which if I did Di would be paid off exactly 4 weeks after I received my statement. Which in essence gives me close to 2 months of free credit.[/QUOTE]

Great. I'm glad that works for you. My main point was not to use a debit card for your onboard account. That's all...the rest is all just personal preference. You have yours, and I have mine. No biggie.