Hair Straightener Taken!!

rileylewis

I'm sure this would not apply to onboard stylists in the salon as they would have their equipment inspected by a 'competent person' appointed by HAL to insure its safety. While I'm sure that all the ladies on CC have fairly new equipment that is in very good condition, other ladies have old equipment with loose or frayed wires that have been repaired with scotch tape. Those are dangerous and a fire hazard. One of the greatest dangers at sea is FIRE!

Other lines may follow suit. And it would help their bottom line to have all you ladies visiting their salon on formal night.

Perhaps if they start seizing razors because they or their chargers could have frayed wires or be held together with scotch tape you could help with the bottom line by visiting the spa for a shave on formal night. You might look like heck the rest of the cruise but if you consider it OK for women then it shouldn't be a problem for men either.

We girls just love wandering around with untamed hair or bed head. It really adds to the vacation. :rolleyes:

It is an idea that is not going to fly unless they want to lose a large percentage of their female cruisers when the word spreads.

Perhaps if they start seizing razors because they or their chargers could have frayed wires or be held together with scotch tape you could help with the bottom line by visiting the spa for a shave on formal night. You might look like heck the rest of the cruise but if you consider it OK for women then it shouldn't be a problem for men either.

We girls just love wandering around with untamed hair or bed head. It really adds to the vacation. :rolleyes:

It is an idea that is not going to fly unless they want to lose a large percentage of their female cruisers when the word spreads.

I'm not on HAL's side, just offering one possible explanation. And men's razors don't produce heat.

Edited by jimdalva

This is not even about hair appliances, but one of HAL trying to enforce a RULE THAT DOES NOT EXIST!!! :eek::mad:

I have never, ever heard of such a thing, and frankly find it very disturbing that this was applied arbitrarily to carry-on items.

Rileylewis: Have you pursued this further up the food chain since your return? I'd really like to hear an explanation... :confused::confused::confused:

WELL SAID AND SO TRUE!

No, I haven't pursued it, but after reading these replies, maybe I should!

I asked the woman at the front desk on the ship how they expected women to fix their hair without their curling irons and she said "there are blow dryers in the rooms."

The thing that makes me mad is she flat out lied to me when she said that it says in the "know before you go" information that curling irons are not allowed on the ship!

I told her that I had read it before I came and it wasn't in there. She said "well I'm not going to say that you are wrong...."(but she wouldn't give me my flat iron back from security either)

I didn't have a copy of the "know before you go" with me on the ship, so I couldn't exactly dispute it with her unless she provided a copy for me.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Just called Holland America since we are cruising this coming week and I am currently packing.

After much checking came back with, . Curling irons and flatirons are fine. She stressed HAL policy is for Irons (for clothing ) that are not allowed.So I am bringing mine with me. If they try to take it, there will be a big problem on board.I will call HAL's main office from the ship if I have to prove it.

Good grief. I've taken my flat iron on nearly all my eight HAL cruises. My new hairstyle, which actually hearkens back to the 70s and my Love Boat days, requires a curling iron, too. They will certainly go in the suitcase and not my carryon. I leave the suitcase open until they cool, and they're the last thing to go in. For disembarkation, when the suitcases have to be in the hallway the night before, I just have to have stupid-looking hair. It's always a bad day, anyway, leaving the ship and then enduring the flight(s) home.

I hope Copper 10-8 does chime in, alstublief!

Just called Holland America since we are cruising this coming week and I am currently packing.

After much checking came back with, . Curling irons and flatirons are fine. She stressed HAL policy is for Irons (for clothing ) that are not allowed.So I am bringing mine with me. If they try to take it, there will be a big problem on board.I will call HAL's main office from the ship if I have to prove it.

Good on you Sue!

I would have insisted the person at HAL email me with this confirmation... including date, title, etc. and have the hard copy when boarding.

The OP should formally write HAL, giving the dates, ship, port, front desk clerk, etc. and receive in writing confirmation that these objects are not banned. Then laminate it and be prepared to wave it in the face of the next security agent who tries to confiscate it.

The OP should formally write HAL, giving the dates, ship, port, front desk clerk, etc. and receive in writing confirmation that these objects are not banned. Then laminate it and be prepared to wave it in the face of the next security agent who tries to confiscate it.

I plan on sending an email. We'll see what happens.

Wow! Now I'm really mad! Why take these away if they are ok? Don't those working on the ship (esp at front desk) know their own policy???
Nope. That is why we refer to the staff at the Front Desk as 'always smiling, rarely helpful'. If you need change, drop off/pick up a form, they are in their element. Anything more complicated than that, good luck.

There was a recent thread about what makes a good cruise. My response (in part) was any cruise when I don't have to deal with the Front Desk is a great one.

Nope. That is why we refer to the staff at the Front Desk as 'always smiling, rarely helpful'. If you need change, drop off/pick up a form, they are in their element. Anything more complicated than that, good luck.

There was a recent thread about what makes a good cruise. My response (in part) was any cruise when I don't have to deal with the Front Desk is a great one.

So if you have an issue while on the ship who do you go to for real help? Let's say I DID have written info that showed my flat iron /curling iron was ok. Who would I go to on ship for results?

So if you have an issue while on the ship who do you go to for real help? Let's say I DID have written info that showed my flat iron /curling iron was ok. Who would I go to on ship for results?

The problem with the front desk is that they have NO authority.

A good place to start would be the Hotel Director....

The problem with the front desk is that they have NO authority.

A good place to start would be the Hotel Director....

And so do you go to the front desk and ask for the hotel director? (can you tell that this was my first cruise? :p)

And so do you go to the front desk and ask for the hotel director? (can you tell that this was my first cruise? :p)

Been on 25 cruises mostly Royal Caribbean and never had a problem. In fact my luggage that they took went to the naughty room and all they could find was my electric curlers.No booze. I got to keep them. going on Holland in may hope I can get them on.

Two women in line for dinner were talking about how their curling irons were taken when they went through security. I chimed in on the conversation since my straightener was also taken. Another lady (who's curling iron was taken at security too) said that if this is the policy on Holland America ships then she won't sail with them again. The two ladies at my dinner table said they had their curling irons but they were in their checked luggage.

When I asked the front desk I was told that no curling irons for hair (yes, I made it quite clear that it was for hair, not to iron clothes!)

Hmmmm???

No, no, NO!

If I'd have had to go to the Captain, that hair flat iron would have been returned to me before the end of the first day!

There is NOTHING in the "Know Before You Go" info that prohibits an electric hair styling tool:

"For safety reasons, we respectfully request that you do not use

your own electric kettle or iron clothing in your stateroom."

Until they could prove to me that I was shown it in writing BEFORE I cruised, I'd be that "frizzy haired witch" stalking every ship official.[/QUOTE]

I bolded & enlarged your last sentence as that would be me too!:(:(

We are 4 star Mariners & I've taken my Curling Iron on every HAL cruise in my hand luggage.. My Curling Iron has an auto shut off & does not get hot enough to start a fire.. If it did get hot enough my hair would be burned!

Someone in Security was being overly cautious & as others have said I would raise a big stink if my curling iron was taken as there is NOTHING in the "Know Before You Go" booklet which prohibits them!:(:(

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I would ask for front desk supervisor, then the guest relations manager, then the hotel manager.

First, however, at security I would calmly ask for the person at security's name and that of their supervisor, as It seems they are making some mistake in taking my property. I would insist that I needed to take their photo to document that they were taking my property before giving it to them.

If security still took my flatiron or curling iron and the front desk did not fix the issue, I would fire up the social media universe until the problem was addressed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If it PLUGS IN and HEATS UP, then they don't want it on the ship for safety reasons. They catch what they can but don't get them all.

If they found someone had a 'one cup coffee maker' with a heating element, they would take that too yet there is no written rule against them.

Heaven forbid one of these heating element devices starts a fire on the ship, then people would yell 'why do they allow these hazardous things'.

Its just for FIRE SAFETY

Sorry but that is not true! We are 4 star Mariners & I have been on 23 cruises on HAL, NCL, & Oceania in addition to living on our own boat for many months!

Curling Irons & straighteners do not get that hot as they would burn the hair if they did.. They also have auto shut off's & there is nothing in the "Know before you go" booklet that prohibits Curling Irons & hair Straighteners.. If it happened to me ask to see the Hotel Mgr. & if I did not get it back send a letter of complaint to the President's office on my return! I've been packing my curling iron in my hand luggage & have never had a problem..

Hair Dryers get hotter than curling irons & HAL supplies them in their cabins!..

Also have the latest printed copy of the "Know before you go" which was sent to me by HAL when we took our Prinsendam cruise into the Antarctic last year..

Page 13 has a paragraph entitled ELECTTRICAL APPLIANCES which states:

QUOTE All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC & 220 AC outlets. If your shaver operates on standard 110 by all means bring it. Guests on Pre or post cruise hotel packages may 2want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms on the msPrinsendam are qquipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary Holland America Line will provide complimentary power strips. Please contact the front office forFor safety reasons we respectfully request that you deo not iron clothing in your staterooms. Iron facilities are available at the self-service laundry rooms for your convenience. In addition full laundry & valet services are available at special package fees UNQUOTE.

I would have been lost without my curling iron on that trip..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Hazard or not (and if properly handled, it is not)......if my curling iron doesn't go, I don't go. If they deem it a hazard, I am sure they won't miss me. The young folks with long beautiful hair can take my place!

I hear you. I think you'll have a lot of company. People that think it's a fire hazard probably don't even know what a curling iron is. Some folks enjoy increasing their post count.