thomsons change dress code

a f/b friend sent me a copy of this at the weekend

dresscode.jpg

notice the dress code box?

dress code on formal night now appears to be..... formal caribbean or as you please? aka no dress code:confused:

dresscode.jpg

dress code on formal night now appears to be..... formal caribbean or as you please? aka no dress code:confused:

I think I will stick with formal I have a dinner suit I have used for the last 4cruises it's the only time I get to wear it . I think Caribbean is too much but that's just me. Keith

they actually have dress codes ashore on a lot of caribbean islands:

no combat (attire) or camouflage (can be arrested for wearing that.... even if its just on a bag or cap)

no bare chests in public (tortola/barbados) ok on beaches/poolside only

Edited by geomagot

When we did the TA on the Dream just before Christmas, there were 3 formal nights but the third one turned into a bit of a fiasco when it was described as a laid back Caribbean style formal night and led to confusion. To clarify the situation, the CD announced the dress code would be formal or Caribbean.

To be honest, it didn't really work. My DH changed straight after dinner.

We've already decided we won't be attending formal night in the Caribbean next year and will pay for our meal that night. The dress code will be smart casual and we will go out on deck afterwards.

We loved the laid back atmosphere in the Caribbean and are quite happy to forego formal night there.

As you please seemed to be the dress code a lot whilst we were on the Dream last month...in fact we got,tutted at for dressing up on a casual night! Shorts, football shirts, flip flops, gym leggings, baseball caps, we saw it all in the main restaurant....we were not impressed at all.

As you please seemed to be the dress code a lot whilst we were on the Dream last month...in fact we got,tutted at for dressing up on a casual night! Shorts, football shirts, flip flops, gym leggings, baseball caps, we saw it all in the main restaurant....we were not impressed at all.

Was there a casual night as opposed to smart casual?

When the dress code is smart casual we dress as if we were going to a really nice restaurant at home.

I don't think people understand what smart casual means if they are dressing the way you describe. Perhaps Thomson need to spell out exactly what this means. I know this has been discussed a lot on here and FB but I am very firmly one who plays by the rules and do not want to be seeing people dressed as you describe in the dining areas in the evening, especially the MDR. It would be a deal breaker for me.

This is printed on our eticket for Atlantic Explorer on 6 April (27 nights)

"The dress code

By day, there's no dress code to speak of onboard Thomson Dream. That said we do like you to cover up your swimwear if you're coming in from the deck. By night, it's smart casual. This means full-length trousers and either an open-necked shirt or polo shirt for the gents. And for the ladies, anything goes - within reason of course - although people tend to dress up rather than down.

Once a week, there's the Captain's Gala Reception and Gala Dinner. It's your chance to dress to impress. For gents this means a smart suit and tie or a dinner jacket. Ladies, meanwhile, generally pull out all the stops with elegant evening dresses. If you'd rather keep things casual, the Lido Restaurant is open as normal on gala night."

Don't know what else they can say. It's there in black and white. Dinner suit will be going as will posh dress plus smart casual for other evenings. It's a chance to feel different in a warm climate with hopefully all the other bits, pieces and people that make us go with Thomson.:)

This is printed on our eticket for Atlantic Explorer on 6 April (27 nights)

"The dress code

By day, there's no dress code to speak of onboard Thomson Dream. That said we do like you to cover up your swimwear if you're coming in from the deck. By night, it's smart casual. This means full-length trousers and either an open-necked shirt or polo shirt for the gents. And for the ladies, anything goes - within reason of course - although people tend to dress up rather than down.

Once a week, there's the Captain's Gala Reception and Gala Dinner. It's your chance to dress to impress. For gents this means a smart suit and tie or a dinner jacket. Ladies, meanwhile, generally pull out all the stops with elegant evening dresses. If you'd rather keep things casual, the Lido Restaurant is open as normal on gala night."

Don't know what else they can say. It's there in black and white. Dinner suit will be going as will posh dress plus smart casual for other evenings. It's a chance to feel different in a warm climate with hopefully all the other bits, pieces and people that make us go with Thomson.:)

Pity they don't say 'You should cover up' not we'd like you to - that just gives licence to do what you like! I think Thomson are shying away from making any dress code requirements.

Edited by kruzseeka

I am pretty relaxed about normal bars etc, but I would expect the Maitre'D to clamp down on this sort of attire in the MDR at evenings.

Maybe long dress shorts for Men or even smart 3/4's but not Nikes or Umbros.

Edited by joeholiday2

they havnt been enforcing the dress code in mdr for a while now especially on dream in caribbean

thomsons have openly stated on f/b and beyond that they 'dont like to tell guests what they should wear'

'formal caribbean or as you please' might as well read: 'there is no dress code' or at least read: 'there is no dress code but if you want to dress formally you can'

this does seem to be the way thoms have wanted to go for a while?

Anyone for string vests and flip flops?

You as well Linda :p

whoo-hoo! I'm in !!)

and me makes three of us ;)

As you please seemed to be the dress code a lot whilst we were on the Dream last month...in fact we got,tutted at for dressing up on a casual night! ....we were not impressed at all.

I know how you feel , I got tutted as well ..not impressed as it took me ages to get this look ! :D;)

fashionpolice.jpg

OK off topic but what is Elegant Tea?:confused: Argo Lounge.

Or was this just a News Years Eve thing too.

No, they serve afternoon tea in the Argo Lounge everyday happy v. It is very civilised - the tables are set with tea cups and the waiting staff bring round savouries and small cakes. Bit like the self service cream tea in Sirens but no cream scones in Argo as that would be a bit messy - and a usually a slightly different selection but very nice if you like the idea of being served.

P.S. you don't need to get dressed up for it though but must admit I've never seen anyone in there with their swimmies on - or football shorts! :D :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka

No, they serve afternoon tea in the Argo Lounge everyday happy v. It is very civilised - the tables are set with tea cups and the waiting staff bring round savouries and small cakes. Bit like the self service cream tea in Sirens but no cream scones in Argo as that would be a bit messy - and a usually a slightly different selection but very nice if you like the idea of being served.

P.S. you don't need to get dressed up for it though but must admit I've never seen anyone in there with their swimmies on - or football shorts! :D :rolleyes:

Well that sounds VERY nice.:D

I usually only manage 1 or 2 afternoon teas per cruise but with all the sea days on TA I might manage to squeeze more in.:rolleyes: After all it would be rude not to.;)

I definitely won't be wearing my cossie.:eek:

dresscode.jpg

Well, I've just checked all the Cruise News for the past 2 weeks and they say Formal for the Captains night and Smart Casual for the others. They do have a Deck Fest beside the Sirens Pool on a Wednesday night and lots of people wore Caribbean shirts in the MDR beforehand but I saw no football shirts. One or two ladies were less than tastefully dressed though, but that is only my opinion. There were quite a lot of men wearing DJs and very smart they looked too. :)

Just re-read the copy and it is for New Years Eve!!

6pm - 11pm New Years Eve Buffet.

Well, I've just checked all the Cruise News for the past 2 weeks and they say Formal for the Captains night and Smart Casual for the others. They do have a Deck Fest beside the Sirens Pool on a Wednesday night and lots of people wore Caribbean shirts in the MDR beforehand but I saw no football shirts. One or two ladies were less than tastefully dressed though, but that is only my opinion. There were quite a lot of men wearing DJs and very smart they looked too.

Just re-read the copy and it is for New Years Eve!!

6pm - 11pm New Years Eve Buffet.

Thank goodness it seems to be back to normal. That was why I posted (no. 3) "Hope that only applied to New Year's Eve". Others don't seem to have spotted it.:)

didnt someone say that dress code confusion happened on the ta too?

thankfully it looks like one of thoms wacky good ideas that didnt last more than a couple of weeks :rolleyes: (remember the booze consfications)

deck fest??:confused: