Itinerary between Seward and Anchorage

umtigerfan1

We will disembark in Seward May 23rd, would like to hike to the Exit glacier, stop at the Wildlife Center, take the tram at the Alyeska Resort and maybe hike a short trail there. Also allowing for stops on the way for pictures, lunch, and maybe Portage. We are booked at Embassy Suites in Anchorage for two nights, before flying out on the 25th. Would like to spend the next day exploring areas to the north around Eagle River and Palmer. Would this work or should I make changes to our plan? We do have a car rental in Seward and returning at the airport the morning we fly out. On that note, I scheduled pick-up at 9am. Thanks in advance!

We will disembark in Seward May 23rd, would like to hike to the Exit glacier, stop at the Wildlife Center, take the tram at the Alyeska Resort and maybe hike a short trail there. Also allowing for stops on the way for pictures, lunch, and maybe Portage. We are booked at Embassy Suites in Anchorage for two nights, before flying out on the 25th. Would like to spend the next day exploring areas to the north around Eagle River and Palmer. Would this work or should I make changes to our plan? We do have a car rental in Seward and returning at the airport the morning we fly out. On that note, I scheduled pick-up at 9am. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have a lot you want to do between Seward and Anchorage...all of which I think are excellent. My only recommendation would be to reconsider your stay on the night of the 23rd. Have you thought about staying 1 night at Alyeska? Since you want to take a hike there and ride the tram, it would be nice to not have to leave afterwards.

Just a word of caution about the hikes....we stayed at Alyeska in June last year. We tried to hike Crow Creek, but it was blocked by an avalanche. We also tried to hike the trail closer to the resort...I don't remember the name...but the hand tram wasn't open yet.

It sounds like you have a lot you want to do between Seward and Anchorage...all of which I think are excellent. My only recommendation would be to reconsider your stay on the night of the 23rd. Have you thought about staying 1 night at Alyeska? Since you want to take a hike there and ride the tram, it would be nice to not have to leave afterwards.

Just a word of caution about the hikes....we stayed at Alyeska in June last year. We tried to hike Crow Creek, but it was blocked by an avalanche. We also tried to hike the trail closer to the resort...I don't remember the name...but the hand tram wasn't open yet.

Yes, may be too much in a short amount of time. Thought about the one night stay at Alyeska, was not sure since we planned to head north on the second day. Not sure if maybe we should skip heading north this time and focus on one area.

The Visitor Center at Exit Glacier doesn't open until Memorial Day. The trails may or may not be accessible due to snow and slush.

I think a lot of your hiking plans will be dependent on any late spring storms that might dump snow in May. Its been a mild winter there so keep your fingers crossed.

Anchorage is less than an hr from Alyeska resort .. no reason to change your hotel plans.

If Exit Glacier is inaccessible due to the snow, and if you want to really pack out your second day, you could get from Anchorage up to the Matanuska Glacier.

This would give you more time on your first day to explore at Alyeska.

If you're in Girdwood for lunch, may I recommend the Bake Shop just behind the Jade Shop. We love their soups, and refills have always been free.

I've seen many people recommend this, may have to give it a try. Thanks!

sounds like a good itinerary....one other thing you might consider is also stopping at the Begich Boggs visitor center by taking the road towards Whittier. You can actually walk out on the Byron glacier...not far...about 1/4 mile or so each way...and it is one of the few glaciers that you can walk around easily...Much different than the exit glacier...and the visitor center has nice displays.

sounds like a good itinerary....one other thing you might consider is also stopping at the Begich Boggs visitor center by taking the road towards Whittier. You can actually walk out on the Byron glacier...not far...about 1/4 mile or so each way...and it is one of the few glaciers that you can walk around easily...Much different than the exit glacier...and the visitor center has nice displays.

Thanks I am adding Byron Glacier Trail to my list of stops!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laura

There are few interesting walks/hikes around Beggich Boggs, including the Trail of Blue Ice and the Ice Worm Safari. And if salmon are running there are viewing platforms at Williwaw. When we camped at Williwaw, there was certainly bear 'evidence' around and the ranger told us not to leave any food scraps around.

The cruise to Portage Glacier is only $25. Not really worthwhile if you're doing any glaciers on your cruise.

Info on the walks under RELATED LINKS on the right side of the page:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251094

There are few interesting walks/hikes around Beggich Boggs, including the Trail of Blue Ice and the Ice Worm Safari. And if salmon are running there are viewing platforms at Williwaw. When we camped at Williwaw, there was certainly bear 'evidence' around and the ranger told us not to leave any food scraps around.

The cruise to Portage Glacier is only $25. Not really worthwhile if you're doing any glaciers on your cruise.

Info on the walks under RELATED LINKS on the right side of the page:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251094

Thanks!

For sure we will stop at Beggich Boggs.

The Ice Worm Safari sounds like something my DD would love, but doesn't look like we will be able to do it unless the schedule changes.

Glad to hear your opinion of the Portage Glacier cruise, we were considering it, but decided against it. We are doing an airboat at Knick Glacier and the Kenai Fjords 6hr, our cruise visits Hubbard.

Laura

Looks like the visitor center does not open until the day after we would be there, do you know if you can still access the trails when the center is closed?

If you are interested in sled dogs and training you should look into the Seavey's family dog site near exit glacier. 1st & 3rd in 2014 race .

No rides on ice but rides on wheeled wagons on trails.

Sightcrr

Thanks, we are scheduled to do this on a Juneau area glacier. If that were to get canceled this may be another option.

Looks like the visitor center does not open until the day after we would be there, do you know if you can still access the trails when the center is closed?

Yes the trails will be open. We usually go late May and there may be a lot of snow at Byron Glacier. One year the path was clear all the way to the glacier. We had to climb over rocks and get through bushes. We saw a mama moose and baby eating the bushes. The very next year almost the exact date the trail was covered in snow and you couldn't see the bushes or rocks. The snow must have been at least 5-6 feet deep.

The trails will be 'open', but there might be snow or slush to slog thru in order to reach the trails so be prepared with footwear. I think it was 2 yrs ago that they were plowing the parking lot Memorial Day weekend.

Check the Exit Glacier web site for current info about conditions.

The Byron Glacier Trail is a nice leisurely hike/walk to the snowfield. Getting on the glacier itself is a bit more difficult. It's actually about 1.4 miles not 1/4 mile. Certainly worth it if you're in the area on a nice day.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chugach/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=6606&actid=50

Byron Glacier in 2005- It would have been quite a hike to get up to the glacier.

akrvcontinued030.jpg

Byron Glacier in 2006 same weekend in May

AnchoragetoHubbard023.jpg

Great Pictures, thanks for sharing!

Can you see the glacier in the pictures, if so where is the glacier? Sorry if that's a silly question, I'm just don't know how to tell the difference btw the snow and a glacier!

Thanks again to all of you who have posted info on the trails in this area. Just the 'Hiking" my 9yo will be willing to do!

Great Pictures, thanks for sharing!

Can you see the glacier in the pictures, if so where is the glacier? Sorry if that's a silly question, I'm just don't know how to tell the difference btw the snow and a glacier!

Thanks again to all of you who have posted info on the trails in this area. Just the 'Hiking" my 9yo will be willing to do!

In the top picture the glacier is just above the middle of the picture and you can see two sides of it. The snow looks like it is tumbling down and is slightly blue. In the middle of the picture is a black pyramid shape which is part of the glacier moraine. You can just about see a small part of this pyramid in the second picture. The glacier in the second picture is mostly covered in snow but you can still see the tumbling effect.

In the top picture the glacier is just above the middle of the picture and you can see two sides of it. The snow looks like it is tumbling down and is slightly blue. In the middle of the picture is a black pyramid shape which is part of the glacier moraine. You can just about see a small part of this pyramid in the second picture. The glacier in the second picture is mostly covered in snow but you can still see the tumbling effect.

Thanks so much. We are going in July, so I suspect it should look more like the first picture.

Laura