Advice/ Answers/HELP a newbie

jagsgirl2005

Only my 4th cruise and my friends 1st cruise.

What are somethings we MAY forget to pack? We leave in 6 days and are starting to pre-pack!

What are some other tips we need to know? Leaving out of jacksonville!

My friend gets car sick and we are taking bonine for her. I have never been prone to sea sickness on any of my cruises!

Any advice would be appreciated! I havent cruised in 3 years so I am a little rusty!!! Thank you so much! :)

Since I don't know what you are packing, how do I know what you forgot??? :) Sunscreen, aloe (in case you burn), shorts, nice clothes for dinner, flip-flops, sneakers, credit card, passport are the common things.

My wife takes a bonine the morning of the cruise and she is good for the rest of the cruise. I, fortunately, seem to have good "sea-legs"...

Enjoy your cruise.

Steve

Since I don't know what you are packing, how do I know what you forgot??? :) Sunscreen, aloe (in case you burn), shorts, nice clothes for dinner, flip-flops, sneakers, credit card, passport are the common things.

My wife takes a bonine the morning of the cruise and she is good for the rest of the cruise. I, fortunately, seem to have good "sea-legs"...

Enjoy your cruise.

Steve

hahahah. True, but just some items yall may have forgotten over the times people have cruised! hahah. Thanks so much!

We have sailed out of Jax four times now and enjoyed the Fascination very much!

As for packing just take shorts/shirts and bathing suits for days. A sundress or slacks and a top for nights. You will see some people dressed up for formal night, but not a bunch. My hubby wore jeans and a collared shirt for non-formal nights and his khaki's and a floral shirt on formal night.

If you like stir fry be sure to stop by the Mongolian Wok on the pool deck. You pick out your own vegetables and then your meat and they cook it right there....YUM!!! If you don't like their sauce choices just ask them to stir fry it with soy sauce......so good!!! BUT GET IN LINE EARLY!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

hahahah. True, but just some items yall may have forgotten over the times people have cruised! hahah. Thanks so much!

I am a type-A personality, so I have a travel list that we use for checking off when we travel. So, after a lot of travel, not much missing on the list :)

Oh yeah, camera (digital), extra batteries, charger, good size memory card. And if you carry a tablet, charger for that too. Maybe an extension cord with multiple outlets since the only outlets in the cabin are one in the cabin, one in the bathroom.

We have sailed out of Jax four times now and enjoyed the Fascination very much!

As for packing just take shorts/shirts and bathing suits for days. A sundress or slacks and a top for nights. You will see some people dressed up for formal night, but not a bunch. My hubby wore jeans and a collared shirt for non-formal nights and his khaki's and a floral shirt on formal night.

If you like stir fry be sure to stop by the Mongolian Wok on the pool deck. You pick out your own vegetables and then your meat and they cook it right there....YUM!!! If you don't like their sauce choices just ask them to stir fry it with soy sauce......so good!!! BUT GET IN LINE EARLY!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

I have heard about that! THank you so much! I am looking forward to this cruise! Much needed for spring break!

I am a type-A personality, so I have a travel list that we use for checking off when we travel. So, after a lot of travel, not much missing on the list :)

Oh yeah, camera (digital), extra batteries, charger, good size memory card. And if you carry a tablet, charger for that too. Maybe an extension cord with multiple outlets since the only outlets in the cabin are one in the cabin, one in the bathroom.

See, I would have never thought about extra batteries or extension cord. I put those both on my list :) Thank you so much!

power strip for extra plugs, highlighter for the fun times to make sure you don't miss anything you want to see, and your appetite for fun!!!!!

Yes, we are hardly eating this week! Looking forward to the food and the chocolate cake! hahah

Only my 4th cruise and my friends 1st cruise.

What are somethings we MAY forget to pack? We leave in 6 days and are starting to pre-pack!

What are some other tips we need to know? Leaving out of jacksonville!

My friend gets car sick and we are taking bonine for her. I have never been prone to sea sickness on any of my cruises!

Any advice would be appreciated! I havent cruised in 3 years so I am a little rusty!!! Thank you so much! :)

Put any meds. you might be taking (prescription or non) in a ziplock bag and put them in your carryon, as well as any valuables, electronics or camera. Make a checklist and check things off as you pack them. It helps to group things together. Dress shoes with formal wear, shorts with t-shirts, flip-flops/sandals with bathing suit and cover-up, etc. Put all of your travel documents and cruise related paperwork (paper luggage tags, tickets, printed confirmation of excursion reservations, passports, etc.) in a passport wallet or your purse. Above all else, do not forget the most important thing to have when cruising. Peanut M&M's.:rolleyes: Well, at least they're important to me.:D Hope you have a great cruise!

Put any meds. you might be taking (prescription or non) in a ziplock bag and put them in your carryon, as well as any valuables, electronics or camera. Make a checklist and check things off as you pack them. It helps to group things together. Dress shoes with formal wear, shorts with t-shirts, flip-flops/sandals with bathing suit and cover-up, etc. Put all of your travel documents and cruise related paperwork (paper luggage tags, tickets, printed confirmation of excursion reservations, passports, etc.) in a passport wallet or your purse. Above all else, do not forget the most important thing to have when cruising. Peanut M&M's.:rolleyes: Well, at least they're important to me.:D Hope you have a great cruise!

Yes, we have started our medicine bag and have the essentials in there that we may need. I have about 10 checklists and keep getting confused! haha. I have a lot of things in a brown envelope that we will need (document wise) I am looking forward to a great time and nice weather! :) Oh, and I am taking some water and candy as well :)

I put a digital copy into my email and on the tablet I travel with... So, I can get to them anytime I want (assuming my tablet has power :) ). If you like to snorkel, a waterproof case for the digital camera (I carry two cameras, one for normal shots [canon SX50], and one for underwater [currently, canon A560])

About eating, I eat just once a day... saves on calories...

from 6am to 10pm... grazing throughout the day... :)

And yes, I am "one of those people" who can eat and not gain. There are LOTS of people who "hate me". :)

I put a digital copy into my email and on the tablet I travel with... So, I can get to them anytime I want (assuming my tablet has power :) ). If you like to snorkel, a waterproof case for the digital camera (I carry two cameras, one for normal shots [canon SX50], and one for underwater [currently, canon A560])

About eating, I eat just once a day... saves on calories...

from 6am to 10pm... grazing throughout the day... :)

And yes, I am "one of those people" who can eat and not gain. There are LOTS of people who "hate me". :)

If you can eat and not gain.....then yes....... I "officially" hate you.......:D

Edited by GTO-Girl

Hey Dianne, now that's not nice... :). A usual 7-8 day cruise I gain "maybe" 3-4 lbs (I weigh in at 175). I am pretty active on the ship (ok, just my normal routine), where I do a lot of walking and taking the stairs. Usually in the mornings I get up for photographing the sunrises and do at least 10 laps around the deck above the Lido (pool) deck. Take a muffin/danish or two plus OJ. Then breakfast, then snack, and on it goes, day after day... :)

I know, you hate me more now... :)

Steve

If your friend gets car sick, make sure that she takes her Bonine religiously! I used to get horrible car sickness when I was younger. Thankfully I seemed to have outgrown it, but when I went on my first cruise I was extremely nervous about getting sick so I made sure to take Bonine for the entire cruise. I was completely fine, however, on my very first day/night I felt kind of strange. Not sick per se, but I could tell that if I hadn't taken it I probably would have been!

I know how miserable motion sickness can be - I wouldn't want your friend to spend her entire vacation in the bathroom!! :(

If your friend gets car sick, make sure that she takes her Bonine religiously! I used to get horrible car sickness when I was younger. Thankfully I seemed to have outgrown it, but when I went on my first cruise I was extremely nervous about getting sick so I made sure to take Bonine for the entire cruise. I was completely fine, however, on my very first day/night I felt kind of strange. Not sick per se, but I could tell that if I hadn't taken it I probably would have been!

I know how miserable motion sickness can be - I wouldn't want your friend to spend her entire vacation in the bathroom!! :(

Did you take it once a day or what? I told her to start taking it sunday night (we leave monday)

One thing we have forgotten was my husband's belt. Once he forgot to pack any clothes to wear to dinner (he could pack himself :rolleyes:). We had to go buy some before we boarded.

I always take ibuprofen/cold medicine/Imodium and some other OTC medications. They are expensive on the ship if you can find them. I also have band aids/Neosporin and have needed them. I take a few clothes pins to clip onto the bottom of the shower curtain to keep it in place.

take me too, snowstorm coming Wednesday, and they can't seem to predict what we are to get:confused: so much for technology..I guess we wil get what we get..But it is 51 here at noontime, heat wave..:D

Just once a day - in the morning usually because that is when I'm used to taking my meds. It's really not necessary for her to start taking them the night before though. If she takes one about an hour before motion she should be fine!

I have created a packing list of everything I take on a cruise. I have a section for my clothes and my husband's, a section for jewelry to make sure I take the right jewelry for the different outfits. There is a section for all the different toiletries we need, misc. items are passports, cruise docs, etc., thank you cards for the cabin steward and waiter/asst. waiter (we put our extra tip in them), etc. I also take a sewing kit and a small fan as we think the cabins are too hot to sleep.

Don't forget chargers for your camera and cell phone. Calls made on the ship are way expensive so try not to use your cell phone for calling.

Don't forget to take Ibuprofen, medicines, etc., a first aid kit and a power strip. There are not many places to plug things into. A couple of tips: you can shower in the spa and the showers are bigger there. You can wear the same outfit for both formal nights to cut down on packing. I take two casual outfits and change every other night, one pair of shorts and two tops. One pair of formal shoes, one pair of sandals will work with both casual outfits and then whatever shoes I wear with my shorts and to the pool. I have got my packing down to all my clothes in the carry-on and all the other "stuff" in the larger suitcase.

You don't need to bring beach towels, Carnival will provide those. You can take a bottle of wine in your carry-on. If you fly and have to put it in your checked luggage, switch it to your carry-on before you get to the cruise terminal or they will take it.

Number one tip: enjoy yourself, have a wonderful time, try everything and do as much as possible.