The Noro-dam

The Odd Couple

Noro is extremely contagious and though people feel better as they recover they go out and about and are still spreading their germs to others. Even after someone feels better they carry and can spread the virus for more than a week.

[/b]

If that's the case, why are people freed from quarantine 24 hours after the last "incident"?

If that's the case, why are people freed from quarantine 24 hours after the last "incident"?

good question - and how does it get under control then I wonder? We've had noro on a cruise and seen it get under control (and seen it not). It seems when people follow the rules it gets under control quickly and when they break them, it doesn't.

That's purely my unscientific experience though.

Nothing to get excited about. Noro has become part of cruising in 2014, We know what it is, and know how to respond to incidents of Noro.

If you're cruising, Noro is something that might happen. Take necessary precautions, and you might not see any Noro.

IMO, it's not even a newsworthy item any longer.

Thanks for that information. I didn't know. I just heard people talking, and you know that is... They're always right. ;)

You were fortunate that the number of cases of the Noro Virus did not hit the 3%.

Being in Code Red for days and days -- and we have experienced it -- it is not a picnic. Between the pools and library being closed, many activities are cancelled. It was so bad on one on our cruises that the beauty salon was also closed.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

As I said, I had no idea.

Searching on BruceMuzz and "noro", I found 10 threads he posted in. Searching on BruceMuzz and "norovirus" I found 13 threads he posted in. This one from Sept 2010 seems to be the only one that refers to contagion period.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25884154&postcount=39

As for "be sure to take even more care to not spread it around", maybe HAL needs to reconsider the quarantine period.

BruceMuzz posts on Ask A Cruise Question forum.

Perhaps to satisfy your curiousity you may wish to search that forum, as well.

Personally I'd rather take advice from a doctor than someone who posts on a message board. I've always heard that you are contagious before you know you are sick or on the first few days. I have serious doubts about being contagious for that long although I'll ready admit I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv.

Maybe the CDC link I provided might be good information?

I understand that, Sail. I asked why the cruise line lets people out of quarantine 24 hours after they are symptom-free??? Because they're afraid of the negative PR if they keep people confined for a week or more?

Edited by innlady1

Personally I'd rather take advice from a doctor than someone who posts on a message board. I've always heard that you are contagious before you know you are sick or on the first few days. I have serious doubts about being contagious for that long although I'll ready admit I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv.

This is a quote regarding Noro from the Mayo Clinic website:

The incubation period for norovirus infection is usually 24 to 48 hours after first exposure to the virus, and signs and symptoms usually last one to three days. You may continue to shed virus in your feces for up to three days after recovery. Some people with norovirus infection may show no signs or symptoms. However, they are still contagious and may unwittingly spread the virus to others.

I understand that, Sail. I asked why the cruise line lets people out of quarantine 24 hours after they are symptom-free??? Because they're afraid of the negative PR if they keep people confined for a week or more?

I am not the person to whom that question should be posed.

I am in no position to answer it.

That is a question for someone who works for HAL. :)

From the CDC link:

You are most contagious

when you are sick with norovirus illness, and

during the first 3 days after you recover from norovirus illness.

Dh and I have been lucky and have never gotten sick, even when on a ship that had an outbreak. Hope our luck continues!!

From the CDC link:

You are most contagious

when you are sick with norovirus illness, and

during the first 3 days after you recover from norovirus illness.

Dh and I have been lucky and have never gotten sick, even when on a ship that had an outbreak. Hope our luck continues!!

That seems more reasonable. 3 days is quite different than more than a week. Nice to have accurate info rather them info from a random poster. Thank you.

Well...as CD Carlos Mendoza continuously reminded us on our recent Maasdam cruise: "Wash your hands, wash your hands, WASH YOUR HANDS!!!"

I think that works...we've been on two or three ships with Noro...cabins along our hallway for that matter...and have avoided it with this theory.

That seems more reasonable. 3 days is quite different than more than a week. Nice to have accurate info rather them info from a random poster. Thank you.

Actually......

what you are agreeing with says that is when you are the MOST contagious. I don't see or interpret that it says contagion stops at day 3. I think this an important point. Noro is so contagious I think it appropriate to note when one feels better, one is not safe from spreading it to others.

Illness has little interest in being 'reasonable'.

Most likely because they are no longer throwing up and have diarrhea, so the risk of transmission is low(er). It is also easier for HAL to control the outbreak by disinfecting a cabin than having someone out and about and throwing up.

Edited by cbr663

From the same CDC link in case you didn't read it the first time:

It is possible for an infected person to shed norovirus before they have symptoms. However, people usually begin shedding the virus once they have symptoms. This may continue for 2 weeks or more after they recover. But, it is not known whether they are still contagious.

Bolding mine.

My kids used to work for HAL, RCI, and Princess. HAL's quarantine procedure is standard in the industry. My bus-driver son HATED Noro. They had to clean, clean, clean the buses. But he never got it, even after transporting many buses carrying passengers who had it. One time, one of his roommates got it (during his HAL time), and the other drivers who shared the apartment were not allowed to go home. HAL put them up at hotels until the roommate was cleared. It seems to me it was quite a long time. I will ask him when I can. They were not amused as they stayed in hotels during their land tours and were looking forward to being 'home'.

And don't even get me started on the moans and groans from my daughter who was assistant manager of Princess' restaurant at Denali National Park. She DESPISED Code Red!

Robin (who used to find the HAL boards more civil than Carnival's. Not so much anymore)

Edited by Robin7

I personally have a great deal of respect for any ship that takes this virus seriously. So therefore, I have a bit of problem with the title of this thread ("noro-dam"). Let's not make this about one ship.

It never ceases to amaze me when folks complain about minor inconveniences such as salt & peppers, or not have "self serve", or whatever. This is a highly contagious, serious, and potentially fatal virus (in compromised immune systems). At best, you are miserable, with harsh symptoms that can deplete your system. At worst, you can die from complications it can cause. Thank goodness the cruise lines take this seriously, and are proactive in combatting its spread! :eek:

We have sailed under code red on several ships, and I have felt safer because of it. The precautions, the cleaning, and the diligence by the crew are for US the passengers, and I respect and promote that.

One of the most perplexing facts about Norovirus is the unpredictable nature of the infection.

All the CDC experts agree that there is no complete immunity - except to the specific strain of Norovirus that you have just recovered from. But nobody can determine how long that immunity lasts. It seems to vary by individual and by strain of virus. There are currently thousands of strains of Norovirus out there. It is not unusual for a "sick ship" to have more than one strain of the virus onboard.

Many Asians seem to be nearly (but not completely) immune to it, but nobody knows exactly why.

Extensive research and testing has determined that most people with type O blood are most easily infected; most people with types A, B, and AB blood are least easily infected.

Even the top experts cannot agree on how long someone remains contagious after suffering from the illness. The generally accepted story from CDC is that 24 hours after the last symptoms are gone, the level of contagiousness drops significantly for most people.

Luckily we do know exactly how the virus can and cannot enter your body.

If you are careful enough (and sometimes lucky enough) to prevent the spores from entering your mouth, nose, eyes, ears, and lungs, you cannot be infected.

One of the most perplexing facts about Norovirus is the unpredictable nature of the infection.

All the CDC experts agree that there is no complete immunity - except to the specific strain of Norovirus that you have just recovered from. But nobody can determine how long that immunity lasts. It seems to vary by individual and by strain of virus. There are currently thousands of strains of Norovirus out there. It is not unusual for a "sick ship" to have more than one strain of the virus onboard.

Many Asians seem to be nearly (but not completely) immune to it, but nobody knows exactly why.

Extensive research and testing has determined that most people with type O blood are most easily infected; most people with types A, B, and AB blood are least easily infected.

Even the top experts cannot agree on how long someone remains contagious after suffering from the illness. The generally accepted story from CDC is that 24 hours after the last symptoms are gone, the level of contagiousness drops significantly for most people.

If you are careful enough (and sometimes lucky enough) to prevent the spores from entering your mouth, nose, eyes, ears, and lungs, you cannot be infected.

Interesting. I'm A Positive as is my husband and we've avoided the noro...We've been on two cruises with it. Noordam in '08 and Ryndam in '13. Interestingly, they were doing a deep cleaning mid cruise a couple times in a stateroom down the hall from us this past cruise on Noordam...so it may have started then.

Interesting stuff, but even this can be speculation, unless everyone who has had Noro also had bloodwork done, which certainly is not done in outbreaks in care homes or other facilities, and surely not on ships.