Tendering in Sorrento?

dln929

We'll be tendering in Sorrento with an arrival at 8:30 am. I've never been to Sorrento by way of a cruise ship so I have no clue about how long it takes to tender there. I have a driver booked for a tour so could anyone give me some advice about what time I should say we could meet him?

Hi Deirdre,

It usually takes about 15-20 minutes or so to tender in to Sorrento... Been there on Quest several times. However, it can be very choppy in the Bay and occasionally Sorrento can be a missed port due to the large waves. Not often in the summer though.

If you have time after your tour then a drink on the terrace of the Excelsior Victoria Hotel overlooking the bay (and Quest) is a nice time to while away an hour.

Thanks Lottie. I wasn't sure how much time to allot for the actual tendering. When we were in the Caribbean, depending on where Captain Jose parked the ship, sometimes it was a short tender and sometimes a whole lot longer. Great tip about having a drink at the hotel! I have a photo of myself taken there over 10 years ago and it will be a pleasure to make a trip back. :D

Two years ago when tendered in Sorrento it seemed to only take about 10 mins for the tender to go back and forth.

Even better you should be able to meet your driver only a few metres from where the tender berths.

Thanks Lottie. I wasn't sure how much time to allot for the actual tendering. When we were in the Caribbean, depending on where Captain Jose parked the ship, sometimes it was a short tender and sometimes a whole lot longer. Great tip about having a drink at the hotel! I have a photo of myself taken there over 10 years ago and it will be a pleasure to make a trip back. :D

If you do decide to revisit that womderful view, or engage in shopping, in our case at least there was a free shuttle running all day between the docking area and upper town.

If you do decide to revisit that womderful view, or engage in shopping, in our case at least there was a free shuttle running all day between the docking area and upper town.

I was not aware of this when we did one day DIY in Sorrento a couple of years ago. Is this arranged through the ship? We had to pay to get up and back to the docking area.

Deirdre....have a wonderful time. Sorrento is one of our favorite places. I guess I didn't realize you had another Azamara cruise coming up. :o

Edited by midwestchick

I was not aware of this when we did one day DIY in Sorrento a couple of years ago. Is this arranged through the ship? We had to pay to get up and back to the docking area.

]

Can't remember how we were notified, probably through the daily newsletter. There was a parking lot handy to the dock and, if I remember correctly the shuttle ran about every 30 minutes.

There was also flexibility. On one of our trips, the driver took a woman to the train station so that she could undertake some traveling on her own, I believe it was to Positano.

Can't remember how we were notified, probably through the daily newsletter. There was a parking lot handy to the dock and, if I remember correctly the shuttle ran about every 30 minutes.

There was also flexibility. On one of our trips, the driver took a woman to the train station so that she could undertake some traveling on her own, I believe it was to Positano.

I know the area you're speaking of. There are a few little shops right there and the one lady has really nice t-shirts and hats and she is so nice.

I'll have to remember to check it out this fall...thanks for posting it.

Thanks everyone for the added info. I'll be writing another cruise report after our May sailing and I'll include transportation details from Sorrento as we found them.

My wife and I have just booked on this cruise.

After docking and hopefully getting a 'free' shuttle from tender dock to town, trains can be taken to various places on the line to Naples, but only busses (which also go from the train station) can be taken in the Positano direction.

We have an overnight in Sorrento on Quest in early May. We have been looking at independent morning tours. However they leave at 8.00 am. What time is the first tender likely to run in the morning of our second day please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have an overnight in Sorrento on Quest in early May. We have been looking at independent morning tours. However they leave at 8.00 am. What time is the first tender likely to run in the morning of our second day please?

If May 18th is the appropriate date, there is a ship's tour leaving at 8:00 a.m. so tenders should be running early.

Just a guess, but I'd be thinking they would start by at least 7:30 but others may have more specific advice.

Thanks everyone for the added info. I'll be writing another cruise report after our May sailing and I'll include transportation details from Sorrento as we found them.

I'm already looking forward to your cruise report.

The name of the shop down by the pier is Di Leva Antonino...the only shop that has original lables in the Sorrento Port. It is situated between the Bar and Tabacnist. There is a stand outside with lots and lots of hats.

If you miss the free shuttle there is a local bus that stops at the side of the little shops by the port....it costs about 1 euro to the bus stop at the centre of Sorrento town which is just off the main square Piazza Tasso. The Old Town entrance is on the right side of Piazza Tasso.

Also if you do have a drink on the terrace of the Excelsior Victoria Hotel, which I highly recommend, then they have an elevator that cuts directly through the cliff to open just by the shops at the port. It takes literally 2 minutes. They will happily let you use it if you have bought a drink at the hotel. The entrance to the hotel is on Piazza Tasso.....it's a pleasant walk through the pretty hotel gardens but there is a Concierge who will look you over to see that you "fit in" with the other hotel guests! :)

If you miss the free shuttle there is a local bus that stops at the side of the little shops by the port....it costs about 1 euro to the bus stop at the centre of Sorrento town which is just off the main square Piazza Tasso. The Old Town entrance is on the right side of Piazza Tasso.

Also if you do have a drink on the terrace of the Excelsior Victoria Hotel, which I highly recommend, then they have an elevator that cuts directly through the cliff to open just by the shops at the port. It takes literally 2 minutes. They will happily let you use it if you have bought a drink at the hotel. The entrance to the hotel is on Piazza Tasso.....it's a pleasant walk through the pretty hotel gardens but there is a Concierge who will look you over to see that you "fit in" with the other hotel guests! :)

How dressy is this hotel during the day? I normally just wear a nice knit **** or blouse with capris and DH, shorts and shirt...maybe a t-shirt when we are out and about during the day...we don't look shabby but we arent' dressed up, either.

Thanks. Our sailing is 30th April and we will be in Sorrento on 5th and 6th May.

If I'm correct, there is also a ship's tour departing at 8:00 a.m. on that day.

I checked our "Pursuits" newsletter for the two days in Sorrento, but there was no mention of when tendering would begin. It did mention that each trip took about 10 minutes.

Interstingly, for environmental reasons, the ship had to leave the port at approximately 11:00 p.m. and returned at 7:30 a.m. the next morning. I'm thinking that tendering would begin when the ship has returned to its anchorage.

How dressy is this hotel during the day? I normally just wear a nice knit **** or blouse with capris and DH, shorts and shirt...maybe a t-shirt when we are out and about during the day...we don't look shabby but we arent' dressed up, either.

They expect casual and comfortable, but nicely put together. A vest type t shirt and short "lazing around the pool" type shorts wouldn't be appreciated as it is a formal and grand hotel, but they certainly don't expect you to be "dressed up" in the daytime. I would say that you would be just fine in smart capri's and a nice top. Order a Prosecco, enjoy the free olives, nuts and crisps (or chips as you would say!) and laze about for an hour and enjoy the magnificent views over the Bay of Sorrento. Sheer bliss! :)

This guide may be of use to the independent traveller. Scroll down to the bottom for Sorrento, Capri etc. Tomsportguides are a fantastic resource.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Naples-01-31-2012.pdf

Edited by Lottie A

Here are some photos of this beautiful hotel so you can better judge for yourself what's appropriate attire if you go to their bar. As Lottie, says, smart casual like your blouse & capris would be perfectly acceptable but shorts and t-shirts would be out of place. The Italians are a little more formal than we all are. http://www.gracesdistinctiveproperties.com/grand-hotel-excelsior-vittoria-gallery.php

BTW, if anyone needs to work off some calories after all that wonderful Azamara cooking, there are stairs up from the Marina Grande to the town. Steep, long, and an excellent workout if I recall from our trip 10 years ago. ;)

Here are some photos of this beautiful hotel so you can better judge for yourself what's appropriate attire if you go to their bar. As Lottie, says, smart casual like your blouse & capris would be perfectly acceptable but shorts and t-shirts would be out of place. The Italians are a little more formal than we all are. http://www.gracesdistinctiveproperties.com/grand-hotel-excelsior-vittoria-gallery.php

BTW, if anyone needs to work off some calories after all that wonderful Azamara cooking, there are stairs up from the Marina Grande to the town. Steep, long, and an excellent workout if I recall from our trip 10 years ago. ;)

Sounds like the stairs for me - I need to lose 15 pounds!

Thanks for the links, Lottie and Deirdre. I actually checked it out on tripadvisor last night. It is a gorgeous hotel and I've seen it from the water, I believe and the photos of the views I saw were wonderful. I did see people in the hotel...there were pictures of guests in the room where they serve breakfast. Dress was pretty much what we wear when we're out and about during the day.

I googled Proseco since I'm not familiar with it...since it's a white wine, I may have to try it. (can't drink red wine) I think it would be nice to stop in and sit for a bit.

We're stopping in Sorrento on both legs of our cruise and we do have 2 overnights there so that will give us more time to explore Sorrento. :D

I've seen those steps...and we will pass on those.