wine for back to back cruise

kenorus

Okay so going on a back to back cruise on the eurodam. I understand you can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Is that for the 1 week or for the 2 week. Or do you have to get off and purchase another 2 in Lauderdale. Just trying to weigh my options on just bringing wine or getting the all inclusive.

You could carry on four bottles but would have to pay corkage on two.

Are you b-to-b or Collector's cruise?

If b-to-b, you probably can go off on turn around day and reboard with two more bottles with no charge.

Collector's cruise is considered one cruise only. B-to-b is technically two cruises.

we are 2 in the stateroom. just booked it as a 14 day cruise. We have to disembark after the first week then get back on. we were thinking of getting off and going down to the beach for the day and enjoying Lauderdale as the beach area is nice. Maybe a stop to total wine also if we can bring 2 more back on!

we are 2 in the stateroom. just booked it as a 14 day cruise. We have to disembark after the first week then get back on. we were thinking of getting off and going down to the beach for the day and enjoying Lauderdale as the beach area is nice. Maybe a stop to total wine also if we can bring 2 more back on!

We didn't look into this issue, and Lord knows we researched everything else about the wine carry on policy. My guess is that you could, just based on the way they have security and wine check in configured. It's kind of a hassle to schlep all the way to Total Wine for two bottles though, unless you're planning to get something awesome - and I have no doubt that you are. :thumbup:

Edited by POA1

We didn't look into this issue, and Lord knows we researched everything else about the wine carry on policy. My guess is that you could, just based on the way they have security and wine check in configured. It's kind of a hassle to schlep all the way to Total Wine for two bottles though, unless you're planning to get something awesome - and I have no doubt that you are. :thumbup:

Wouldn't security wonder why you had no carry-on luggage and no boarding pass? You would have your "in-transit" card, which would mean you were already on the ship the week before?

You don't show the in transit card on the gangway. It is for use in transiting the terminal to get to the ship bypassing the check in process.

You only would show your ID card to be scanned on when you get to security on the gangway. If someone stops to read the ID, they will see the date you boarded but I have yet to have anyone actually read our card. We hand it over, they scan it and we are on our way.

Just debating. We were going to enjoy the day in Lauderdale. Love the beach area, nice little bars and restaurants to enjoy. Have yet to decide whether to get the all inclusive drink package. We did last time but then I felt that I had to drink all day and I really didn't want to do this again! If I had a couple bottles of wine in my room that would be enough. I was just wondering about bringing another 2 on at the second part of the cruise. I will contact hal on this one.

Just debating. We were going to enjoy the day in Lauderdale. Love the beach area, nice little bars and restaurants to enjoy. Have yet to decide whether to get the all inclusive drink package. We did last time but then I felt that I had to drink all day and I really didn't want to do this again! If I had a couple bottles of wine in my room that would be enough. I was just wondering about bringing another 2 on at the second part of the cruise. I will contact hal on this one.

I think it's best to contact Holland America. I've read some info on here that has been offered as fact but which has confused the heck out of me (I know, it's not hard:)) so I've been asking my travel agent to get the real scoop for me. Some of it has been quite conflicting. But in general, I am finding this site very informative.

Wouldn't security wonder why you had no carry-on luggage and no boarding pass? You would have your "in-transit" card, which would mean you were already on the ship the week before?

Unless they change the configuration of the terminal since last week, the wine check in is after security and carry on bag bag scanning. It's before you get your room key. And, people without wine to check in, or those under the limit, are waved straight through. Only corkage-paid wine bottles were stickered. It's a pretty efficient process.

Since this policy is new and sometimes it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, I would call HAL...and I would get whatever you are told in writing (in an email)... because, chances are, you may get a different interpretation of the policy at the port!

I am confused about this wine thing. If you are going on a 7 day cruise and you have 2 adults in the cabin, can you bring 2 bottles of wine and NOT have to pay the corkage fee for the 2nd bottle?

Diane

Yes, as long as you consume the wine in your stateroom. If you take it to a public room, you are charged corkage. We carried on 2 cases (4 people, 2 rooms, 6 bottles each) and paid corkage on all of them because we knew we were going to be drinking them at dinner.

If you are drinking the wine in your room, take advantage of your "free" allotment. I would recommend that you take a corkscrew if you can. Or, get wines with a Stelvin enclosure. (That's the nice way of saying "screw top." Makes it sound all fancy. :cool:) You could also opt for the glass corks like Sineann uses.

Edited by POA1

Yes, as long as you consume the wine in your stateroom. If you take it to a public room, you are charged corkage. We carried on 2 cases (4 people, 2 rooms, 6 bottles each) and paid corkage on all of them because we knew we were going to be drinking them at dinner.

If you are drinking the wine in your room, take advantage of your "free" allotment. I would recommend that you take a corkscrew if you can. Or, get wines with a Stelvin enclosure. (That's the nice way of saying "screw top." Makes it sound all fancy. :cool:) You could also opt for the glass corks like Sineann uses.

Thanks much for the reply. Now I am going to push it a little further. If you have 3 adults in the cabin, can you bring 3 bottles of wine for in room consumption without having to pay the corkage fee for the third bottle? I swear, this is my last question regarding this!!!

Diane

Thanks much for the reply. Now I am going to push it a little further. If you have 3 adults in the cabin, can you bring 3 bottles of wine for in room consumption without having to pay the corkage fee for the third bottle? I swear, this is my last question regarding this!!!

Diane

Diane, yes you can bring three bottles onboard with three adults in the cabin.

From HAL

Revised Policy effective 1/31/14

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Edited by kjw869

Diane

Ask away. I *live* for this crap. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999316

Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

I would give it a try. If they end up charging you the corkage fee, you are no worse off than if you brought them on day 1 and paid the fee then.

Diane

So far as I know, there is no limit on the number of questions a poster here can ask. Ask away!! :D

We took 5 bottles of wine on the Noordam, Feb 17th and they were not marked in anyway nor we were charged corkage fee before boarding the ship. We were surprised that the extra 3 bottles were not tagged in some way. We could have drank them in our stateroom but did take them to dinner and paid the corkage fee. Did we save money by bringing them on board? No. But we enjoyed the wine we like and worth the corkage fee. We were with friends and also bought a couple of wines off the wine list and was surprised how good they were based on past experience. Have they changed the wine list?

Diane

It isn't by cabin. Everyone 21 or older can bring one bottle on at embarkation without an extra charge.

We are booked on back to back 14 day cruises on the Prisendam, we start out from Civitavecchia. Flying into Rome from Atlanta so wine will have to be purchased after we arrive in Civitavecchia.

And here is my question, what if you don't bring any wine when boarding the ship in Civit can you purchase wine say in France, where we visit several towns, bring wine on board then with two 'No Charge" and pay corkage for others? I would rather buy some good French wines while in France as the second 14 day cruise, R/T Amsterdam, is in the Baltic region and a good stock would be fantastic.

Any and all input is truly appreciated, if somebody from HAL is reviewing this site perhaps they can shed some light.:)

HAL's website is very clear on this issue.

"Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

and

"Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?&WT.ac=PopTop_Alcohol

Doesn't leave any room for interpretation.

We have the Explorer4 for our 26 day TA (was free???), so I don't know how much of the trip I will remember. LOL! I'm sure I will not be using my allotment up every day unless I purchase a "friend" one or two - at the appropriate times, of course.

Thank you Taxmantoo,

Cleared the muddy waters and leaves me able to buy what I want, just pay the Tab.

HAL's website is very clear on this issue.

"Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

and

"Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?&WT.ac=PopTop_Alcohol

Doesn't leave any room for interpretation.