Rooms booked next to each other, do not want!

Murdock03

So my wife and I booked our cruise early Feb. My Parents decided to join us and joined using a different method 2 weeks ago. They were guarnteed rooms, and we just got our assignments. The rooms are right next to each other!! This is not ok, its our 2nd anniversary...

i tried to get our stateroom switched, but the cruise is totally booked. Has anyone ever had a successful room number switch after something like that? And seriously, what are the odds of that happening?

The company that booked the cruise, found it quite comical, and tried to help, but was unable. Any insight?

LOL This actually happened to us a couple of times but not in the same manner. In our case, we would book and my parents would find out where we were because we used the same travel agent at the time. They kept booking their stateroom right next to ours, and mysteriously, we kept moving away! By our last cruise, I think they finally got the hint/message! Hahaha

It might help if you mention what ship you are on & when. Our friends & us just upgraded yesterday, & as of now there are 2 fabulous hump cabins available on the Silhouette in a couple weeks.

I also agree going on your roll call to see if anyone would switch. It's worth a try. Next door would be just too close for comfort for me!

I agree--when is your sailing? Most X sailings these days don't seem to sell out until close to sailing so are you leaving within the next 2-3 weeks? If you just got your assignments, it would mean you're 7-9 weeks out so there should be plenty of staterooms available. :confused:

Just four weeks prior to sailing we upgraded to two XC guarantees. My kids were assigned staterooms apart for us, but thanks to a great TA, we got them moved together. There is still ample inventory even though ours is a near-peak season, spring break cruise!

Edited by Terpnut

So my wife and I booked our cruise early Feb. My Parents decided to join us and joined using a different method 2 weeks ago. They were guarnteed rooms, and we just got our assignments. The rooms are right next to each other!! This is not ok, its our 2nd anniversary...

i tried to get our stateroom switched, but the cruise is totally booked. Has anyone ever had a successful room number switch after something like that? And seriously, what are the odds of that happening?

The company that booked the cruise, found it quite comical, and tried to help, but was unable. Any insight?

Some day they will be gone and you will wish they were on your cruise and in the cabin next to you.

Maybe your parents will feel exactly the same as you, nothing worse than having the kids in the next room

There is still life in the old dogs you know :D

Exactly what I was thinking. On the other hand, there may be an extra level of excitement knowing the other was just a few feet away.

Stifle Edith, stifle.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

some day they will be gone and you will wish they were on your cruise, a couple doors down.

After my silly comments earlier this post pulled me up sharp and made me cry.

We don't have ours with us any longer. So as this post has said

Enjoy every moment of having your loved ones with you -- :(

BUT -------------------- 2 doors down ;)

Edited by Presto2

After my silly comments earlier this post pulled me up sharp and made me cry.

We don't have ours with us any longer. So as this post has said

Enjoy every moment of having your loved ones with you -- :(

BUT -------------------- 2 doors down ;)

My folks are both gone too....but I don't think I would want them

next door either.

My folks are both gone too....but I don't think I would want them

next door either.

We feel the same way.

When we travel with our kids, as much as we love them, we don't want them right next door either.

To the OP, just keep watching cabin availability because even when it looks like they are all sold out, often something becomes available at the last minute.

I also wonder why they are going on your 2nd anniversary cruise. Did you invite them?

There's also an old saying, "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know"...you could get someone much, much worse next door. As long as you all establish boundaries (I'm sure they don't want you knocking at their door at all hours, either) it will be ok, and certainly convenient.

Er.... even just thinking about some of those times when you are using your bathroom at the same time that someone in the adjacent stateroom is using that bathroom.....

Better a stranger whom we will never see again after leaving the ship.

Enough said - no details necessary. ;)

Perhaps you can start to drop ideas on your parents like:

1) I know it's strange sometimes we both scream when sleeping...hope it doesn't bother the folks in the next room.

2) Your wife has some neck pain and sometimes moans loudly....but you hope the pills will control it so it doesn't bother the folks in the next room.

3) My wife occasionally has a form of Tourette syndrome where she yells out "more, more" and similar phrases.....

and so on

Then act really surprised to find that they are in the next cabin.

That is just silly and unnecessary. So is panicking because they are in the next cabin.

EVERY generation believes they are the ones to invent sex. Trust me: you weren't. Your parents did or still do it in their marriage and you weren't purchased from the Monkey Ward catalog. When you have children your parents will know how you conceived them short of having fertility problems or adoption they won't discuss it with you. Someday your kids will be convinced they were conceived through immaculate conception and there is NO WAY you did that EVER. This is nothing new.

The ONLY sound(s) I heard from neighboring cabins was the slamming of doors. No muffled conversations, moans, groans, or pleadings to a deity. The ONLY thing you need to do is ensure the balcony door is closed and latched. If that was wide open during intimate activities and the neighbors are on their balcony then they could hear it.

You are letting this worry you far too much. I had way more problems than the neighbors hearing anything I did in my stateroom when I jumped into the shower as we sailed into port and forgetting to close the drapes. Unfortunately for me we had docked across from ship. I exited the shower sans towel and nekid as a jaybird to discover a lovely couple on their balcony on the neighboring ship! :eek: I couldn't leap back into the shower fast enough, wrap myself in a towel, and close the blinds. Bless their hearts they TRIED to pretend they didn't notice but we both knew. :o

I would be less worried about what a neighbor might HEAR and way more worried about what they might SEE. Pay attention to your drapes! :D NOT who is living in the next cabin.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

We have always lived in different states from both our families, so we would always stay over when we visited - believe me, a private home (we don't live in McMansions) is a lot less insulated/private than adjoining cabins on a ship.

If you wanted privacy/alone time/a romantic vacation it should not have gotten to this point where they were either invited or invited themselves.

This was a concern for us, back in our early-married, always-traveiing days but my friend, you came to the right place. Step into my office and letDr Jedi solve this problem for you and don’t worry, if you like your insurance you can keep it so without adieu, here’s how to lick your problem (no pun intended):

1.)Let your Wife talk you into having a baby together.

2.)Kaboom! That right there will solve your problem. You’ll be totally cool with your parents in the next room cause you’ll have little to conceal. *But wait, problem not solved totally*

3.)Things will normalize. Oh No Dr Jedi! Now I don’t want my parents in the next cabin again! Oh what oh what can I do?

*Bracee yourself for the ultimate solution to your quandary…..the piece de resistance (that’s french)…….

4.) Let your lovely Wife, and neandrathal in-laws tell you that your “family is not complete without a SECOND child”. And when they drop that bomb, and your lovely Wife uses her charms to disarm you…make sure you are knee-deep in work, and mentally fried where you just can’t argue, and you just go along with the program.

5.)BAM! 9 months later be blessed with a healthy lovely little boy….who has COLIC.

6.)For over a year, see your daily routine blown to smithereens. Your home an absolute mess. Your lovely wife not sleeping EVER, and life sort being sucky to where you are just thankful you don’t live in Afghanistan, and you gotta watch Shawshank Redemption in the middle of the night, because the story of an innocent man going to a hellish jail replete with inmate-to-inmate-forced-intimacy, and corrupt wardens….INSPIRES you that you too, can make it.

7.)Gain a few pounds to add to your already jiggly-chubby-lifelong-BigMac eating body.

MY FRIEND, MY SON, your problem is SOLVED! At that point…….you won’t mind if your Mom and Dad sleep next to your cabin. You won’t mind if they’re IN your cabin. Heck you’ll be fine if they are in your very bed because nothing, I repeat nothing will be going on that will make you or your parents feel awkward. You’ll be on your cruise, living cleanly in chastitty. (yeah, intentional type-o). You’ll just be laying there, wondering why oh why your teenage self didn’t go forward in time, to just slap you and give you your old Victoria’s Secret Catalog because it will cause you no problems.

Admin, this was relevant to OP’s question. I will not even charge for my services even though this is PROVEN perfect advice.

See the woman at the front desk on your way out of my office buddy. She’ll give you a note and say that despite all of the above, eventually it settles down and you’ll find balance, and then once again you won’t want Ma and Pa next to your cabin….well, sometimes.

It was also very awkward with them next or us as we were afraid that they may hear us talking about some stuff that we didn't want others to know or just hear us period.

Yeah, it certainly is difficult to talk about someone if they are within hearing range. :D

Edited by boogs

some day they will be gone and you will wish they were on your cruise, a couple doors down.

ROTFL:D

Try and embrace the situation. It is a blessing to still have both of your parents;)

I would say that under the circumstances this would not be the right cruise to become a member of the infamous Balcony Club.:eek::cool:

Save that one for the third anniversary cruise where you either book it alone as a couple or pick another category different than your parents.

Happy Anniversary!

Edited by mickeysgal

This was a concern for us, back in our early-married, always-traveiing days but my friend, you came to the right place. Step into my office and letDr Jedi solve this problem for you and don’t worry, if you like your insurance you can keep it so without adieu, here’s how to lick your problem (no pun intended):

1.)Let your Wife talk you into having a baby together.

2.)Kaboom! That right there will solve your problem. You’ll be totally cool with your parents in the next room cause you’ll have little to conceal. *But wait, problem not solved totally*

3.)Things will normalize. Oh No Dr Jedi! Now I don’t want my parents in the next cabin again! Oh what oh what can I do?

*Bracee yourself for the ultimate solution to your quandary…..the piece de resistance (that’s french)…….

4.) Let your lovely Wife, and neandrathal in-laws tell you that your “family is not complete without a SECOND child”. And when they drop that bomb, and your lovely Wife uses her charms to disarm you…make sure you are knee-deep in work, and mentally fried where you just can’t argue, and you just go along with the program.

5.)BAM! 9 months later be blessed with a healthy lovely little boy….who has COLIC.

6.)For over a year, see your daily routine blown to smithereens. Your home an absolute mess. Your lovely wife not sleeping EVER, and life sort being sucky to where you are just thankful you don’t live in Afghanistan, and you gotta watch Shawshank Redemption in the middle of the night, because the story of an innocent man going to a hellish jail replete with inmate-to-inmate-forced-intimacy, and corrupt wardens….INSPIRES you that you too, can make it.

7.)Gain a few pounds to add to your already jiggly-chubby-lifelong-BigMac eating body.

MY FRIEND, MY SON, your problem is SOLVED! At that point…….you won’t mind if your Mom and Dad sleep next to your cabin. You won’t mind if they’re IN your cabin. Heck you’ll be fine if they are in your very bed because nothing, I repeat nothing will be going on that will make you or your parents feel awkward. You’ll be on your cruise, living cleanly in chastitty. (yeah, intentional type-o). You’ll just be laying there, wondering why oh why your teenage self didn’t go forward in time, to just slap you and give you your old Victoria’s Secret Catalog because it will cause you no problems.

Admin, this was relevant to OP’s question. I will not even charge for my services even though this is PROVEN perfect advice.

See the woman at the front desk on your way out of my office buddy. She’ll give you a note and say that despite all of the above, eventually it settles down and you’ll find balance, and then once again you won’t want Ma and Pa next to your cabin….well, sometimes.

Isn't that the truth. Before kids foreplay consists of music, wine, flowers, romance, candles. After having the first one there is NO time for anything fancy or complicated. Foreplay consists of the phrase "is everyone asleep?"

What used to be a marathon you trained for becomes a sprint that you are just happy you got to race. :D