What to wear?

kittymom

First time going to Alaska. Trip is for the last week of May on NCL. I have been reading the posts but nobody mentions what you wear on the boat. I have always cruised to warm places and just wore a bathing suit during the day and dressy clothes for dinners. Should I bring jeans for the daytime? Also going to be taking some excursions and don't know what to wear for footwear. I really don't want to have to bring heavy boots if it's not necessary. Are sneakers ok?

Well, I haven't been on a cruise yet, but we're going in June and I too have been reading a lot here... It all seems to distill down to: Layers, dress for comfort, take comfortable footwear (waterproof a bonus), layers, lots of stuff to "discuss" about formal nights, and did I mention layers? Temps could run anywhere from the 40s to the 80s or even wilder swings are possible. Precip very possible on any given day, and anything from Sunny to Snowing any hour of any day ;).

Me, I live next door to Seattle, so I am totally used to spending 365 days a year of being prepared for any sort of weather conditions... The only adjustments I'll have to make is getting a suit or something for formal night (which happens to be our 30th, so I don't think the buffet will cut it with the wife...).

Jim

"Layers" can means different things to different people, depending on their life experiences :) This is what I mean when I say layers

A long sleeved t shirt

A fleecy top, or lightweight cashmere sweater or sometimes both

A rainproof hooded jacket

Jeans (or sometimes technical pants such as REI or MEC or North Face) and (possibly but not terribly likely in my case) a lightweight base layer such as wintersilks

Wool blend socks

The temps inside the ship are regular ol' room temp temps. Outdoors is the challenge. When we go ashore we dress as I listed above, and we take along a lightweight day pack, to hold the things we shed, as the conditions change. Or we take along the stuff that isn't needed at that moment, so we CAN be dressed with more layers if needed.

At the airport, you can pretty much tell I'm going on a cruise to Alaska, as I have my rain jacket tied around my waist, in my jeans, and I'm wearing whatever footwear I've decided on for walking, hiking, etc. Cuts down on the weight of the luggage, y'know, when you wer the heaviest stuff in transit ;)

We have always been lucky to cruise on ships that provide great laundry and housekeeping services so there is no need to waste any of our valuable cruise vacation time running back and forth doing laundry, or any other type of housework.

We just leave our dirty laundry in a laundry bag on the bed and write the instructions on the form that is provided.

The cabin steward takes care of getting it to the laundry and bringing the clean, laundered clothing back to us.

The same for dry cleaning.

The fashion police may not approve, but many of us are very willing and happy to wear the same clothing again a few days later.

It really cuts down the amount of clothing we need to pack and unpack and schlep around, and we always have fresh, clean clothing to wear.

We have always been lucky to cruise on ships that provide great laundry and housekeeping services so there is no need to waste any of our valuable cruise vacation time running back and forth doing laundry, or any other type of housework.

We just leave our dirty laundry in a laundry bag on the bed and write the instructions on the form that is provided.

The cabin steward takes care of getting it to the laundry and bringing the clean, laundered clothing back to us.

The same for dry cleaning.

The fashion police may not approve, but many of us are very willing and happy to wear the same clothing again a few days later.

It really cuts down the amount of clothing we need to pack and unpack and schlep around, and we always have fresh, clean clothing to wear.

Alaska does not have a fashion police like they do in the lower 48. I usually wear the same pair of blue jeans at least 3 days in a row. Sometimes longer depending upon how they smell.

Alaska does not have a fashion police like they do in the lower 48. I usually wear the same pair of blue jeans at least 3 days in a row. Sometimes longer depending upon how they smell.

Yes, what a good answer! Two pair of jeans alternated can be good for ten days, depending. You'll fit right in, it is Alaska.

To Kittymom, sneakers should be fine.

I am a little unsure as to how much to bring for clothing and plan on bringing basically what I snowboard/snowshoe in (Hot chilly type shirts) along with my jeans and a bunch of sweatshirts and good shirts. I am still mulling over sneakers vs. hiking sneakers. I tend to get cold very easily, and fear the my one suitcase will turn into two in order to have enough to keep warm.

Is it practical to bring more than one jacket that can be layered with another rather than my winter coat? I have a fleece jacket as well as a mid-weight jacket (sort of water and wind proof). I also have a rain coat and a lighter coat. Does anyone bring snowpants?

Also, (not to start anymore threads on dress code) my husband and I are not dressy people and want to know what our dining options are if we wear jeans and a good shirt to dinner; I am having a hard time getting a definitive answer out of my TA. We have already decided that the MDR is probably not going to be an option based on this - and we are fine with that- but want to make sure we have other options. The thought process is that we may bring a set of dress clothes, if space permits, to go into the MDR one or two nights but nothing beyond that.

I was planning on doing my own laundry as well but want to know what others think of the onboard laundry service. What is the turn-around time? Any issues? If I use the onboard service, can I give them my own laundry soap-I use unscented but can adapt if necessary.

Thank you for the assistance!

I am a little unsure as to how much to bring for clothing and plan on bringing basically what I snowboard/snowshoe in (Hot chilly type shirts) along with my jeans and a bunch of sweatshirts and good shirts. I am still mulling over sneakers vs. hiking sneakers. I tend to get cold very easily, and fear the my one suitcase will turn into two in order to have enough to keep warm.

Is it practical to bring more than one jacket that can be layered with another rather than my winter coat? I have a fleece jacket as well as a mid-weight jacket (sort of water and wind proof). I also have a rain coat and a lighter coat. Does anyone bring snowpants?

Also, (not to start anymore threads on dress code) my husband and I are not dressy people and want to know what our dining options are if we wear jeans and a good shirt to dinner; I am having a hard time getting a definitive answer out of my TA. We have already decided that the MDR is probably not going to be an option based on this - and we are fine with that- but want to make sure we have other options. The thought process is that we may bring a set of dress clothes, if space permits, to go into the MDR one or two nights but nothing beyond that.

I was planning on doing my own laundry as well but want to know what others think of the onboard laundry service. What is the turn-around time? Any issues? If I use the onboard service, can I give them my own laundry soap-I use unscented but can adapt if necessary.

Thank you for the assistance!

I can answer some of your questions based on my research here :) For dining it will depend on your cruise line - they vary in how rigorously they enforce the dress code. We are going on Royal Caribbean and I am planning on having my teen daughters wear nice colored skinny jeans with nice tops on one or more nights. They would wear those clothes to a nicer restaurant here. Will I wear jeans? Probably on the arrival night because you don't necessarily have your luggage before dinner. They are also pretty lax on the last night when people have packed many of their things.

Definitely do a fleece layer and waterproof/windproof layer rather than a winter jacket. (Partly depending on how warm your winter jacket is!) That gives more options to adjust to changing conditions. I have heard of people bringing snowpants...but either they mean something different than I do when they say snowpants or they must be from a VERY warm climate.

I don't know about laundry - but I am planning on having some jeans washed this time. My guess is that it would be very difficult to have them use your soap. Turn around time probably varies with cruise line and possibly when you turn in the clothes.

Sorry, should have said Coral Princess.

We are from New Hampshire so snowpants are a must during the winter. They would just take up a ton of room in my suitcase. I may bring my lighter snowshoeing pants instead as they fit over a pair of jeans or leggings; not the prettiest things though either. My winter jacket is fairly warm, but I do layer under it. We are used to going out in below zero weather to ski/snowboard/snowshoe, so I had to make sure I had a jacket that would pass muster. Again, it is fairly large and would take up tons of room. At least with a few jackets, I could wear one, and pack the others. They would all take up less room than my winter jacket.

I consider my jeans nice - close to skinny jeans but not quite - and just pair them with a nice top and shoes rather than my good sneakers; it is what I wear out to eat here. We won't be going into the MDR if that is what we have on though. We've been to resorts that have a dress code, but they always allow dress shorts so it was never a problem for us. We just want to make sure we will be able to eat somewhere on the ship!

Edited by threeboyz

When I cruised to Alaska in 2010 we did the Inside Passage and not Glacier Bay, so keep in mind that glacier watching can be COLD. I was very comfortable with long-sleeved t-shirts, jeans, fleece jacket, and parka with a removable lining. I brought snow boots specifically for a chilly gold mine tour. Otherwise my sneakers were fine. However, I do wish I had WATERPROOFED both boots and sneakers. Do that and you will be fine.

Since my hands get cold I brought gloves but my teenage son didn't and never needed them.

We experienced very changeable weather in May. Low at Juneau -- maybe 50s during the day and 70s in Ketchikan. It was coldest in the gold mine. (Fun though!)

First time going to Alaska. Trip is for the last week of May on NCL. I have been reading the posts but nobody mentions what you wear on the boat. I have always cruised to warm places and just wore a bathing suit during the day and dressy clothes for dinners. Should I bring jeans for the daytime? Also going to be taking some excursions and don't know what to wear for footwear. I really don't want to have to bring heavy boots if it's not necessary. Are sneakers ok?

Kittymom

Trade in the bathing suit for a pair of warm undies. :D:D:D

seriously, you did ask about what to wear on the ship. In May, while you are cruising it will be chilly. In the ports, except if you are going on some sort of excursion to a glacier, regular clothes will be fine. Unless you live in shorts 24/7, I would leave them all home and opt for a few good pair of jeans. As all have already said, it all amounts to layers. You do NOT need anything heavy, so packing will be easier. Forget any warm jackets and again, opt for a nylon, waterproof one. In May, I would bring a hoodie, or you can buy one at your first stop, but that will keep you warm, in any conditions.

Formal nights, what's that in Alaska? These days, most people forget to lug along that suit and dress shoes, just to wear for one night. When we went, we wore flannel most nights, and I think we were overdressed. :D:D If you want to dress up, throw in a skirt and a thin sweater.

Cheers

Len

It's not going to be below 0. You don't need snow pants or a winter coat. Layers!

You can wear your good jeans to dinner on "smart casual" nights on Princess. You will need something nicer if you want to go to the MDR on formal nights.

Thanks for the info! I do intend to bring many layers and hope it all works. I'm thinking hand warmers and gloves may be a good idea as well. I am typically cold and why I live in NH is beyond me....

We don't have formal wear so we will be avoiding the MDR on formal nights for sure. I was under the impression that jeans were not acceptable in the MDR on other nights though. Is this not the case?

Thanks for the info! I do intend to bring many layers and hope it all works. I'm thinking hand warmers and gloves may be a good idea as well. I am typically cold and why I live in NH is beyond me....

We don't have formal wear so we will be avoiding the MDR on formal nights for sure. I was under the impression that jeans were not acceptable in the MDR on other nights though. Is this not the case?

Official Princess policy:

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

They state that casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not appropriate, which implies that nicer jeans (without holes and/or fraying) are just fine.

You NEVER have to avoid the MDR even on formal nights. The need to feel you must dress up is so far down on the list of things to worry about, most people just don't do it anymore. If people feel that they want to, go right ahead, it's your cruise and no one will tell you how to dress. But, many more people wear decent jeans, Dockers or any assorted things like that, even on formal nights. And they will let you in the MDR as long as you are dressed appropriately.

Cheers

Len

Formal nights on cruises have changed a lot these past few years. We no longer want to pay to take extra bags for formal wear. I was on the Allure the week of May 2nd and I saw some tuxedos, few long dresses and a lot of jeans in the dining room every night. I will be going to Alaska in May and my husband will wear jeans some nights to dine and me too probably. You should not skip the MDR and just be comfortable. We will be on a 2 week trip so we have to take clothes in 1 bag each for the trip.

Sorry, should have said Coral Princess.

We are from New Hampshire so snowpants are a must during the winter. They would just take up a ton of room in my suitcase. I may bring my lighter snowshoeing pants instead as they fit over a pair of jeans or leggings; not the prettiest things though either. My winter jacket is fairly warm, but I do layer under it. We are used to going out in below zero weather to ski/snowboard/snowshoe, so I had to make sure I had a jacket that would pass muster. Again, it is fairly large and would take up tons of room. At least with a few jackets, I could wear one, and pack the others. They would all take up less room than my winter jacket.

I consider my jeans nice - close to skinny jeans but not quite - and just pair them with a nice top and shoes rather than my good sneakers; it is what I wear out to eat here. We won't be going into the MDR if that is what we have on though. We've been to resorts that have a dress code, but they always allow dress shorts so it was never a problem for us. We just want to make sure we will be able to eat somewhere on the ship!

You need to think late March early April temperatures, not the dead of winter. You are not likely to have any temps below freezing and most days you will be in the low 50's.

Keep in mind that for formal night you can always eat in the buffet in your jeans along with a lot of others who don't want to miss Alaska to get dressed up. (Its going to stay light until almost midnight), and you can usually see the shore while you cruise.

This has been a very helpful thread and timely as we prepare for our cruise in the first week of July on Coral Princess. Do the layers without a heavy mid-winter jacket work even for glacier watching or walking on the glaciers? Someone mentioned that Glacier Bay watching from the balcony can get cold and what if we take any of the walking on the glacier excursions - no heavy jacket needed even then? If that is the case, that is a big relief. Also, are hiking shoes needed only if you plan for long walks/hikes or whether we plan it or not, we will end up walking a lot on port excursions or on our land part of the tour in Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, and Denali?

Thank you!

This has been a very helpful thread and timely as we prepare for our cruise in the first week of July on Coral Princess. Do the layers without a heavy mid-winter jacket work even for glacier watching or walking on the glaciers? Someone mentioned that Glacier Bay watching from the balcony can get cold and what if we take any of the walking on the glacier excursions - no heavy jacket needed even then? If that is the case, that is a big relief. Also, are hiking shoes needed only if you plan for long walks/hikes or whether we plan it or not, we will end up walking a lot on port excursions or on our land part of the tour in Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, and Denali?

Thank you!

I think you are always better off with layers than with one heavier jacket. The layers can be taken on and off and used throughout the trip. A waterproof layer and a fleece layer will provide much greater flexibilty - worn together they should be just about as warm as a heavier jacket - and they can also each be worn separately as needed.

I don't think you need hiking boots unless you are hiking - we are going on a glacier hike and hiking boots were specifically recommended by the tour operators. Depending on what the description of the land portions of your tour are - I wouldn't think you would need them. Waterproof good walking shoes instead.

I went to the Weather Underground and selected what I believe would be the Mendenhall Glacier station - the average daily high in July is 64°

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

After going to Alaska many times, I totally disagree with no warm jacket for glacier viewing. Well, I do agree with not bringing just one jacket. If you have one of those 3 in 1 type, they are perfect because you can wear the parts as you need them. If you are standing out on the deck with the ship approaching the glacier, it is very cold. The wind is blowing with the ship moving.

Definitely, layer a long sleeve shirt with a fleece on top of that with a waterproof outer layer with a hood. We would even wear our beanie under the hood to keep our heads warm.

Yes, keep to that layering idea. I have a picture of my 20 plus year old daughter viewing Hubbard glacier in June, 2005, all bundled up in many layers and her hood on to keep warm while the ship was moving. The sun came out while the ship stood still at viewing and she got hot and stripped down to a tank top while holding her jacket over her arm.

When we were in Ketchikan for our last stop in June, 2012, it poured rain all day but we did not let it stop us from seeing at least the town. We were out and about walking all over with our rainproof jackets and hoods up, we were fine. Our low cut waterproof hiker shoes were a big help also. I wore them always even when not raining cause they help to keep your feet warmer. Smart wool socks are great also.

Edited by poolwife

Do you mind sharing your recommendations on a waterproof jacket with hood?

I bought my rain jacket last fall at a large sporting goods store when summer items were on clearance. This Northface Venture jacket usually sells for $99 and I got it for $79...not a huge savings, but it helped. I bought it slightly larger than I would normally wear to make sure that I could layer a fleece jacket underneath.

A8AS_J8G_hero?$596x695$