$299 for an 11 day TA on the Epic??!!??

jkgourmet

Yep, that's the price shown for an inside cabin for the April 27th departure, Miami to Barcelona. $299 for eleven days.

We did 21 days on NCL in January in the Med. I know the food is one of the cost cutting measures, but how the hell can they sail at these prices?????

Yep, that's the price shown for an inside cabin for the April 27th departure, Miami to Barcelona. $299 for eleven days.

We did 21 days on NCL in January in the Med. I know the food is one of the cost cutting measures, but how the hell can they sail at these prices?????

They have to reposition, so the ship is going that way anyway.

I assume the policy is to get as many people onboard as possible and then sell them lots of beer and stuff. The costs will be fairly similar whether there are 200 or 2000 people onboard.

They have to reposition, so the ship is going that way anyway.

I assume the policy is to get as many people onboard as possible and then sell them lots of beer and stuff. The costs will be fairly similar whether there are 200 or 2000 people onboard.

I understand that - and agree with you. I'd also add that the daily service charges help pay the staff.

But, still, compare this with other lines that do repositioning TA's. RCCI is just under $500, and others all considerably higher.

They obviously cant sell cabins at $500.

Agreed. Which is why I posted the OP. WHY can't they - when other cruise lines with similar TA's can and do?

In other words: What is so different about NCL from other mass market cruise lines that they have to lower the prices this much to get a cabin sold? (I have my own opinions, but I'm curious what others have to say).

Once on the ship they will find ways to fleece you of your money. What's the airfare coming back? If you can get cheap airfare then that's a heck of a deal.

Edited by bar_20

Wait till you see what they charge per barf bag.lol

Once on the ship they will find ways to fleece you of your money. What's the airfare coming back? If you can get cheap airfare then that's a heck of a deal.

Depends, of course, on where you have to go back to. But if it's NY, I see ONE WAY fares as low as $418. Miami, around $637.

And if NCL has fares like Celebrity with their Choice Air program, I'd bet it would be even cheaper. (Choice Air is great for one way international flights, but I've never found them to be cheap for RT flights within the US).

As for fleecing on the ship, that's totally within your own control. No booze, no specialty restaurants, and since there's only one port stop, one one POSSIBLE excursion or just DIY (as we usually do anyway). All that equals no fleecing. But I AM willing to bet that the MDR and buffet food is brought down a few notches from the already typically average-at-best offerings on NCL. They gotta make up for those cheap cabin prices somewhere.

Edited by jkgourmet

We were going to take that last year, but had to reschedule and did BA to Bermuda instead. If hubs could get the time off, we'd be there in a heartbeat. This is going to be the last TA for the Epic for a long time since she's being homed in Barcelona now. If you've always wanted to do a TA, now's your chance!

Jen

We were going to take that last year, but had to reschedule and did BA to Bermuda instead. If hubs could get the time off, we'd be there in a heartbeat. This is going to be the last TA for the Epic for a long time since she's being homed in Barcelona now. If you've always wanted to do a TA, now's your chance!

Jen

Epic will do April 2014 October 2014 and April 2015 transatlantics

Epic will do TAs also next year, it's only after summer season 2015 when Epic finally moves to Europe and doesn't come back for the time being.

Transatlantics are hard to fill because so many people do not like all the sea days so they are always significantly cheaper trying to get passengers. The ship is going to relocate anyway so the more passengers the better.

Be sure to add the fees to that when pricing. It's still a good bargain if you can afford the airfare.

Edited by NMLady

Agreed. Which is why I posted the OP. WHY can't they - when other cruise lines with similar TA's can and do?

In other words: What is so different about NCL from other mass market cruise lines that they have to lower the prices this much to get a cabin sold? (I have my own opinions, but I'm curious what others have to say).

There is only one port stop, so lower inside. Saw a suite on HAL for their TA coming up, $800, multiple ports. Not worried about the food on NCL, it is always good, and great service, should be a good time, relaxing for those that need it. We did a TA last spring on RCCL, balcony $250.00, couple stops to Lisbon, booked three weeks before it left.....great deal, stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruiseblues2013

Re-positions are always cheap per day, but you have very few port stops and have to pay a very high airfare back. I hope when I retire and I can do more than 7 days to take advantage of these deals and pair it with a traditional land vacation at our exit port.

My DW does not know if she could stay more than 5 days on a boat without getting off.. ( we did once on a hurricane cruise and she was more than ready to come home).

If you look at this cruise purely as transportation to Europe, it is a fantastic deal that provides far more than first-class air transportation would at far less cost. We have been traveling to Europe by ship at incredibly low prices for years, and can't believe how many people have not yet figured this out.

If you look at this cruise purely as transportation to Europe, it is a fantastic deal that provides far more than first-class air transportation would at far less cost. We have been traveling to Europe by ship at incredibly low prices for years, and can't believe how many people have not yet figured this out.

That was exactly how I found it - looking for an alternative for someone who is phobic about flying and wants to go see their family in Europe.

That was exactly how I found it - looking for an alternative for someone who is phobic about flying and wants to go see their family in Europe.

Agreed. So let's close this thread before too many people figure out what we know and start driving up trans-Atlantic cruise fares!!! :D:D