Working for NCL in Staff Position

MRBOOKEND

Does anyone have any familiarity with working aboard ship in a non traditional staff position? For instance: If someone had the technical ability to teach a skill or offer lectures about a specific subject matter that might appeal to enough PAX, would NCL consider offering a contract for them?

Primarily would be looking for work in exchange for room 'n board plus small stipend to travel the world and visit ports of call.

thanks in advance....

I've never seen a lecturer/speaker on any of my NCL cruises. I have seen them on a couple Royal Caribbean cruises. They spoke about the history of ports that we were making stops in. They were a married, retired college professor couple who alternated the topics. I have no idea if they were compensated in any way by Royal.

NCL used to offer these. I went to a digital photography one in 2009. But I haven't seen any on my last 2 cruises.

The one I went to, was informative but not very well attended (might be the reason they stopped that sort of thing).

Edited by che5904

NCL used to offer these. I went to a digital photography one in 2009. But I haven't seen any on my last 2 cruises.

The one I went to, was informative but not very well attended (might be the reason they stopped that sort of thing).

You're right NCL did have seminars and classes on various topics. I distinctly remember they used offer scrapbooking. Remember hoping there would be some couples cooking classes. Lots better than learning about "fine" art and drinking cheap champagne. Never went to any and perhaps lack of attendance is why NCL has stopped.

they still do cooking seminars, but the port talks are all about shopping.

The one exception is (was?) the Jade. The cruise director would do these seminar about the ports. It would include the history, local transportation, local customs etc. The Jade is in some ways a better ship.

The shore excursion people would also do one however it was mostly a sales pitch for their shore excursions. I have not been impressed by that.

On my Alaska cruise a couple of years ago, they had a naturalist on board. Also had at least a couple of "lectures" about the history of the region. I really enjoyed this.

Does anyone have any familiarity with working aboard ship in a non traditional staff position? For instance: If someone had the technical ability to teach a skill or offer lectures about a specific subject matter that might appeal to enough PAX, would NCL consider offering a contract for them?

Primarily would be looking for work in exchange for room 'n board plus small stipend to travel the world and visit ports of call.

thanks in advance....

Go to Norwegian's web site under Corporate is a tab that says Careers. Click on it and it provides you a way to contact them. I have been on a Panama Cruise where there was a guest lecturer.

The one exception is (was?) the Jade. The cruise director would do these seminar about the ports. It would include the history, local transportation, local customs etc. The Jade is in some ways a better ship.

The CD you are referring to is no longer with NCL, he left after completing his last contract on November 2013.

Our Celebrity cruise to Alaska had a really good naturalist on board, Brent Nixon. His lectures were amazing and well-attended. He also did some narration over the loudspeaker as the ship went through Tracy Arm Fjord, and one night when we could see whales.

I think most cruise lines only do things that generate revenue, though, so most "lectures" are trying to sell you something or direct you to stores in port that give kickbacks to the cruise lines.