How to get from SEATAC to downtown Seattle

cruises42

Does anyone know if you can take the light rail from the airport to Westlake with luggage for a 7 day cruise - a good size suitecase and a carry-on? Is this commonly done? When I contrast the round trip cost for a cab or shuttle service for two passengers with that of the nominal fee for the light rail I'm tempted to consider it if it is a practical alternative.

It's certainly doable and is done frequently. The caveats are that the train cars aren't set up to accommodate luggage easily, so you'll have to figure out how to keep your luggage under control and not interfere with other passengers sitting or entering/exiting. Also finding taxis at the Westlake end (if that's necessary) isn't always all that easy, depending on the time of day, whether it's raining, etc. Technically cabs in Seattle aren't allowed to be hailed; you have to go to a taxi stand or some typical drop-off point (of which there are several near Westlake.)

Edited by Gardyloo

Did exactly this on a one day to Vancouver followed by a 2 day to SF last September. It was on the Sunday of a Seahawks game but even that did not present a problem. Remember the train starts at the airport station so you should have no difficulty getting a seat, put your luggage in the bike slots and sit across from them.

It Was pouring downtown but we caught a cab as he dropped off another customer. You can always walk to one of the downtown hotels which have cab stands.

Last year we used Century Car Service from the Airport to our hotel and then again from the cruise ship to the airport.

We thought they were great and plan on using them again this year.

There were five of us and we fit easily into the large SUV.

Couldn't have asked for better service.

Does anyone know if you can take the light rail from the airport to Westlake with luggage for a 7 day cruise - a good size suitecase and a carry-on? Is this commonly done? When I contrast the round trip cost for a cab or shuttle service for two passengers with that of the nominal fee for the light rail I'm tempted to consider it if it is a practical alternative.

I used the Light Rail today .... from Westlake to Seatac. I had one wheeled case and a daypack. The biggest consideration is walking to the Light Rail Station. If your luggage is wheeled and you can walk for 10 minutes, you'll be fine. After you collect your luggage, take an escalator up one level, cross the pedestrian bridge into the parking garage, then you trek thru the parking structure .... it's flat, covered. Follow the overhead signs. It took me 8 minutes.

There is a small area for luggage in each car but only big enough for 2 suitcases. There weren't many passengers so I just put it on the seat next to me.

One thing I didn't realize .... the ticket machine gives change in coin only. I paid my fare of $2.75 with a twenty so I got 17 silver dollars in my purse! They're heavy and bulky!

At Westlake Center you can exit to 5th or 3rd Ave. so be aware of which exit is closest to your destination.

It's certainly doable and is done frequently. The caveats are that the train cars aren't set up to accommodate luggage easily, so you'll have to figure out how to keep your luggage under control and not interfere with other passengers sitting or entering/exiting. Also finding taxis at the Westlake end (if that's necessary) isn't always all that easy, depending on the time of day, whether it's raining, etc. Technically cabs in Seattle aren't allowed to be hailed; you have to go to a taxi stand or some typical drop-off point (of which there are several near Westlake.)

Thanks Gardyloo...You're confirming what I hoped might be the case.

Did exactly this on a one day to Vancouver followed by a 2 day to SF last September. It was on the Sunday of a Seahawks game but even that did not present a problem. Remember the train starts at the airport station so you should have no difficulty getting a seat, put your luggage in the bike slots and sit across from them.

It Was pouring downtown but we caught a cab as he dropped off another customer. You can always walk to one of the downtown hotels which have cab stands.

wheezedr,

Very helpful advice regarding the bike slots. Thanks.

I used the Light Rail today .... from Westlake to Seatac. I had one wheeled case and a daypack. The biggest consideration is walking to the Light Rail Station. If your luggage is wheeled and you can walk for 10 minutes, you'll be fine. After you collect your luggage, take an escalator up one level, cross the pedestrian bridge into the parking garage, then you trek thru the parking structure .... it's flat, covered. Follow the overhead signs. It took me 8 minutes.

There is a small area for luggage in each car but only big enough for 2 suitcases. There weren't many passengers so I just put it on the seat next to me.

One thing I didn't realize .... the ticket machine gives change in coin only. I paid my fare of $2.75 with a twenty so I got 17 silver dollars in my purse! They're heavy and bulky!

At Westlake Center you can exit to 5th or 3rd Ave. so be aware of which exit is closest to your destination.

The 10 minute walk at the airport is doable for us. Our destination is Homewood Suites on Pike Street. So I think we get off at 5th Ave. It's several blocks away so worse case scenario if we can't get a cab would be more exercise walking!

Appreciate your advice. Will also keep in mind exact change with the ticket machine. Thanks.