Letter from Princess Credit Department

trbarton

Out of curiosity, would you be able to post the phone number here that they asked you to call? Maybe someone can verify it they gave you an official Princess phone number. I still agree, though, to call the number on their website and talk to your travel agent.

Edit: I'm not sure if Princess would allow someone to send out a letter like that without a signature or to use phrases such as "return the $48."

Edited by Disconnections

Princess is adamant about dealing with Travel Agents on all other issues...I can't see any reason why that policy would be different when it comes to refund errors.

An alternative to the suggestion that Princess has been hacked is that the Travel Agent has been hacked. Depending on the Agent, security could be minimal compared to what Princess has on its servers.

FYI...I've contacted my T/A and provided them with copies of the letters. I'm awaiting there reply. I also called Princess and they said that all of the phone numbers and address were connected to Princess. I'm awaiting to find out what my T/A can find out and will post what ever information that I receive.

Tom:confused:

FYI...I've contacted my T/A and provided them with copies of the letters. I'm awaiting there reply. I also called Princess and they said that all of the phone numbers and address were connected to Princess. I'm awaiting to find out what my T/A can find out and will post what ever information that I receive.

Tom:confused:

Please continue to keep us posted, Tom.

I've been in contact with my T/A and she is awaiting a call from the billing /Credit department. It appears that I was given a credit but I can't find any records to that effect. I'll report when I have more information. As I said earlier all of the phone numbers and address are connected to Princess.

Tom

Pretty interesting technique actually. If the OP were to send a personal check for the $48, and this were a scheme, the recepiant would have the OP's bank routing # and account #. Next thing to happen would be a drained checking account.......

No, everyone to whom you write a check has that info. You can't "drain an account" with only that info, not even with the name and address, either.

You could use it to set up online payments to any number of accounts.

No, everyone to whom you write a check has that info. You can't "drain an account" with only that info, not even with the name and address, either.

To pay with "checking" online, all that has to be entered is the routing number and the account number, both of which are on every check.

You could use it to set up online payments to any number of accounts.

You would have to know the login and password for the account before you can access that function and to set that up requires some personal questions that are not on any check.

Mike:)

Sorry to disagree with you, but knowing this information will allow anyone with basic computer skills to begin the writing checks anywhere they want. I've seen many counterfeit checks where accounts were reduced to pennies. Will a bank reimburse the account holder? Eventually perhaps but the damage is done.

Joel

You would have to know the login and password for the account before you can access that function and to set that up requires some personal questions that are not on any check.

You would need that info to sign into the real account holder's checking account.

You would not need that info to go to a web site, order whatever you want, and pay for it with that checking account. The only trick is to somehow receive the merchandise without having it traced to you.

Yup. Or use it to pay off a fraudulent credit card and keep charging.

With all the foreclosed houses sitting empty out there, package delivery is easy enough, sadly.

You would need that info to sign into the real account holder's checking account.

You would not need that info to go to a web site, order whatever you want, and pay for it with that checking account. The only trick is to somehow receive the merchandise without having it traced to you.

Yup. Or use it to pay off a fraudulent credit card and keep charging.

With all the foreclosed houses sitting empty out there, package delivery is easy enough, sadly.

None of which the account holder would be liable for.;)

Mike:)

ACH transactions are WAY harder to get back then credit cards ones. Plus the funds can be unavailable until the fraud process is followed through.

Which is all dictated by the UCC.

If you want to believe that I can take your money by simply having your account number then go ahead; but I happen to know better.

And none of this "they'll get your money slant" has anything to do with the OP's topic.

Mike;)

Edited by bhopal21

Just the account number? No. Account and routing number? Yes.

Which is all dictated by the UCC.

If you want to believe that I can take your money by simply having your account number then go ahead; but I happen to know better.

And none of this "they'll get your money slant" has anything to do with the OP's topic.

Mike;)

I received a call late today that my T/A received a call from Princess and there records show that in late September 2013 I received a credit of $164 and was overpaid by $48 in error. I have looked at my statement from last year to confirm the credit and yes it's true that I was credited $164. Yes I think what happened to me is an isolated incident.

Everything that they sent me was legit although it seemed strange.

My T/A will handle things with Princess.

Tom